Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2020, 09:52 AM   #1
squid row
Registered Member

To Quarantine or Not

I have read a few posts that suggest it is best to quarantine new fish with cupramine. Then I have read a few that say copper is very hard on fish and should only be used as a treatment rather than preventative

I have a quarantine tank set up but now I am wondering if I should use it when I purchase new fish

Planning to purchase a flame angel and yellow tang this weekend

Thoughts?

The QT is 20 gallons has an air pump, HOB without any carbon, heater, lights and some hiding places of PVC pipe

squid row is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2020, 10:08 AM   #2
jmsilhy
Registered Member

What I've been doing (mostly what I've learned from this forum) is to QT them and observe them carefully for at least 4 weeks. If in that time you detect any strange behavior, dots, etc. then treat, ask here how depending on apparent illness.

Another good technique is to do the tank transfer method (since you already have most of what's needed), which effectively takes care of itch if they have any and is not harmful. Then observe them for a while and make sure they're eating well and looking healthy.

If they seem healthy, don't stress them with (potentially) unneeded meds. My.02

jmsilhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2020, 10:52 AM   #3
squid row
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsilhy View Post
What I've been doing (mostly what I've learned from this forum) is to QT them and observe them carefully for at least 4 weeks. If in that time you detect any strange behavior, dots, etc. then treat, ask here how depending on apparent illness.

Another good technique is to do the tank transfer method (since you already have most of what's needed), which effectively takes care of itch if they have any and is not harmful. Then observe them for a while and make sure they're eating well and looking healthy.

If they seem healthy, don't stress them with (potentially) unneeded meds. My.02

That makes sense.. Quarantine without any meds and treat only if necessary
Thank you

squid row is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Copper is tricky and dangerous. With the Tank Transfer Method and Hypo Salinity Method, no dangerous chemicals are involved at all. So I no longer use copper.

Lot's of folks still swear by it though. You're likely to get many different opinions on this, so I'd recommend looking into each method and choosing which one sounds best for your situation.

I like hypo salinity because it makes it easier on the fish, because they have less 'work' to do on osmoregulation, and because it avoids the stress of transferring fish to different vessels. But TTM is more fool-proof. Up to you!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2020, 01:09 PM   #5
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

I also more or so just watch them in quarantine without any medications or additives. If something appears in 4 weeks or less i'll treat it with whatever specific medication it requires. If not, It's ready for my tank

Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 09:16 AM   #6
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

So I have had great success with Tank Transfer Method. Even just did 3 anthias in TTM a few months ago with the modified method to help prevent velvet.

I then put them in a 20 gal QT for a few more weeks just to observe.

However, I have simply QT'd a few of my fish in a 20 gal for 8 weeks or so. Primarily larger fish like Tangs that I didn't want in a bucket.

Probably about to pick up a diamond goby and just QT it for 8 weeks. The last 2 I tried last year, either jumped the bucket (despite a lid) or were found dead at the bottom. Not sure from what except maybe stress/not eating.

I have a good local LFS though that does some pre-treatment. So far I've had no issues other than more difficult fish like leopard wrasses that just didn't make it in QT.

The worst thing in my tank has been a possible eunice worm I think I got from an order of snails from LiveAquaria. Haven't seen it in months, but I think it's what killed my mandarin.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2020, 09:45 AM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

Best not to medicate until and a strong 'if' you see a disease or problem. Meds conflict with each other. Here is a list of fish that may die if subjected to copper, and angels are on the list. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2635979 This item is from RC in the forum called Fish Disease. I recommend reading it while giving your new fish a bare-glass environment that can't catch anything from them. I do recommend giving angels a rock to pick at, a fist-sized one, at least, and I also recommend NOT putting that rock back into your tank if a disease turns up. Be prepared to nuke that rock with hydrogen peroxide, letting it de-gas in a tapwater filled bucket, then set it out in the sunlight for a couple of weeks before dropping it into your sump and letting it populate again with good bacteria.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2020, 10:29 PM   #8
Ab129
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
So I have had great success with Tank Transfer Method. Even just did 3 anthias in TTM a few months ago with the modified method to help prevent velvet.

I then put them in a 20 gal QT for a few more weeks just to observe.

However, I have simply QT'd a few of my fish in a 20 gal for 8 weeks or so. Primarily larger fish like Tangs that I didn't want in a bucket.

Probably about to pick up a diamond goby and just QT it for 8 weeks. The last 2 I tried last year, either jumped the bucket (despite a lid) or were found dead at the bottom. Not sure from what except maybe stress/not eating.

I have a good local LFS though that does some pre-treatment. So far I've had no issues other than more difficult fish like leopard wrasses that just didn't make it in QT.

The worst thing in my tank has been a possible eunice worm I think I got from an order of snails from LiveAquaria. Haven't seen it in months, but I think it's what killed my mandarin.
What is the “modified” version of TTM to prevent velvet?

Current Tank Info: nitrates 0 SG 1.026, pH 8.1
Ab129 is offline   Reply With Quote