Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/30/2013, 10:13 PM   #1
fredyu
Registered Member

Question on using floor jack in the basement to support tank on main floor

Hi,
I am planning to put a 150 gallon aquarium (on metal stand) on the main floor.
I also plan to put a 55 gallon sump under the DT as well.

With water and live rocks, this tanks is over 2000lb+, should I install floor jack from the basement to support the floor joist on the main floor?

specs(main floor)
Floor joist are 2"x8" and the joinst span are 12".

The tank will sit against a wall (side of the house) and sitting perpendicauar to the floor joist (so approximatly 5 to 6 joists supporting the tank)

i took some floor joist picture below.

Also, the metal stand is supported by 4 legs only. is there anything I can DIY between the metal stand and the floor so I can sprend the weight more evently to the floor?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Frederick

fredyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2013, 05:50 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

A floor jack certainly can't hurt, but probably isn't needed. If you decide to use one, a great way to make it's header? is to sandwich a piece of 3/4 plywood between two 2x6's or 2x8's using screws and glue. place it so that the front of the tank sits on top of it.

No, I'm not a building inspector or construction engineer. I have, however, cracked ~80 year old floor joists because I didn't think about the problem ahead of time. I had a 150DT/50sump and a 120DT/40sump, in the dining room. All seemed fine, then one day it sorta seemed like the floor was extra "springy". A quick trip (and I mean really quick) to HD, some fast work with some scrap lumber, and the floor was once again rock solid.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2013, 06:04 AM   #3
fredyu
Registered Member

Thank Billdog!
So you don't think I need a floor jack to begin with?

Frederick

Unread 08/31/2013, 06:36 AM   #4
joedc
Registered Member

I would use a 4x4 the length of the tank placed under the front or slightly past with two screw jacks if the joist don't hit the 4x4 shim it don't force it up your floor will be uneven. When I installed tanks for a few years most tanks 125 and up this is what we did

joedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2013, 06:38 AM   #5
joedc
Registered Member

The problem is how long is the joist run where your putting the tank the longer the weaker

Unread 08/31/2013, 07:29 AM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

using a 4x4 is actually much weaker than using a laminated sandwich like I suggested. Because you are up against an outside (load-bearing) wall, I think it will probably be ok, but once again - my only construction experience is DIY - no formal degree.

When I set my 120DT/50sump up in my living room, I was a bit concerned because the 60g tank that it was replacing would show a small amount of "bounce" when you walked by. It is located in the middle of the room, but is perpendicular to the floor joists, and sits on top of one of the steel I beams that go across the foundation. I was fully prepared to stick an additional floor jack in the middle of my finished basement of needed. What happened instead is that the floor around the tank is now rock solid. go figure.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
Unread 08/31/2013, 07:42 AM   #7
joedc
Registered Member

A 4x4 is beyond stronger then you know a cross support with 2 screw jacks is rated and toms of support and if you plan to laminate a floor to hold weight the performance is only as good as the person doing it

Unread 08/31/2013, 07:43 AM   #8
fredyu
Registered Member

Thanks all!

Billdogg, do you have a pic on how you install your sandwich? Do you install the sandwich supported with 2 jack?

As long as I can give .......my wife..... A good night sleep (or give me a good sleep by stopping her from asking me if the tank is going to fall), I will do it.

Frederick

Unread 09/01/2013, 07:16 AM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

If it is an unfinished basement and a pair of floor jacks won't be overly intrusive, I'd definately put one under each front corner of the tank. Will eliminate deflection.

ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2013, 08:09 AM   #10
joedc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
If it is an unfinished basement and a pair of floor jacks won't be overly intrusive, I'd definately put one under each front corner of the tank. Will eliminate deflection.
That's what I'm saying I'd use a header also

Unread 09/01/2013, 10:20 AM   #11
albano
SALTWATER since '73

I believe the floor jacks should be on 'plates', not directly on the concrete/flooring

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2013, 01:52 PM   #12
dave2184
Registered Member

I'd be more concerned with the stand having feet that its putting all its weight on vs a full perimeter base to distribute its weight, the thought of one of those feet punching a hole or slowly depressing a large dent in the flooring could be very problematic.

"Oh ya - I missed one important point. There are other ways to deal with phosphates like phosphate sponges, but it's kind of like trying to fan the stink off a dead skunk." -looser
dave2184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2013, 02:12 PM   #13
chrisfont23
Reef Monster

Sounds like another potential point of failure. By this I mean you put the onus on the jack mechanics "holding their weight" as well ( no pun intended).

chrisfont23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2013, 09:19 PM   #14
schatzi
Professional amateur

you should put the floor jack in before the tank is located. You want to brace the floor before it gets any possible deflection from the weight

Unread 09/01/2013, 09:25 PM   #15
joedc
Registered Member

This is a screw jack the chance of mechanical failure is as good as winning the powerball and yes I would distribute the load however they have a flange 90% of the time

Unread 09/01/2013, 09:33 PM   #16
DerekFF
Registered Member

Question on using floor jack in the basement to support tank on main floor

You're good. A pair of screw jacks would make that bomb proof

DerekFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2013, 06:01 AM   #17
billdogg
Registered Member

The "sandwich" of a pair of 2x6's with 3/4" plywood between would be used as a header. Make it long enough to span the full width of the tank plus an additional floor joist on both sides. For example - if the tank is 48" and the floor joists are 16" on center, it will straddle three of them - make your header long enough to span 5 floor joists and use one floor jack in the center.

Unread 09/02/2013, 08:34 AM   #18
dave2184
Registered Member

Like I said earlier I don't think floor construction is the issue being 2x8s with 12 inch centers.

I'd be more concerned with the fact the bottom of the stand is supporting the tank with all its weight on 4 little feet.

"Oh ya - I missed one important point. There are other ways to deal with phosphates like phosphate sponges, but it's kind of like trying to fan the stink off a dead skunk." -looser
dave2184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2013, 08:46 AM   #19
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatzi View Post
you should put the floor jack in before the tank is located. You want to brace the floor before it gets any possible deflection from the weight
Deflection is the problem IME. Had a 180 some while back on a similar floor, and as I filled it the beams deflected slightly and the tank went out of level. Lally columns fixed the problem.

Seems like: Two floor jacks, $100, a 2x6 header, $25, two floor plates, $25 ..... Reeftank peace-of-mind ..... Priceless.

ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2013, 08:46 AM   #20
Misled
RC Mod

Just gonna throw this out there, they make these things called adjusta-posts. Just sayin.

Unread 09/02/2013, 09:47 AM   #21
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Just gonna throw this out there, they make these things called adjusta-posts. Just sayin.
Can't speak for everyone else, but adjustable posts/lally columns/floor jacks is exactly what I'm referring to

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2013, 10:38 AM   #22
Misled
RC Mod

Just making sure.

Unread 09/02/2013, 01:12 PM   #23
joedc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Can't speak for everyone else, but adjustable posts/lally columns/floor jacks is exactly what I'm referring to
There the same thing and also I see the joist size witch is pretty strong but the longer the joist the weaker

Unread 09/02/2013, 08:42 PM   #24
fredyu
Registered Member

thanks for all your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
I believe the floor jacks should be on 'plates', not directly on the concrete/flooring
I the 'plates' something you buy from hardware store? or something you DIY from wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2184 View Post
I'd be more concerned with the stand having feet that its putting all its weight on vs a full perimeter base to distribute its weight, the thought of one of those feet punching a hole or slowly depressing a large dent in the flooring could be very problematic.
Dave, this is actually more concern to me too. I am thanking building a frame with 2"x4" and have all 4 legs sitting on the frame so to avoid the feet punching a hole or dent the floor. also the frame will distribute the weight to the frame and then to the floor. do you have any other suggestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
The "sandwich" of a pair of 2x6's with 3/4" plywood between would be used as a header. Make it long enough to span the full width of the tank plus an additional floor joist on both sides. For example - if the tank is 48" and the floor joists are 16" on center, it will straddle three of them - make your header long enough to span 5 floor joists and use one floor jack in the center.
Thanks Billdogg, I will do what you suggest for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedc View Post
There the same thing and also I see the joist size witch is pretty strong but the longer the joist the weaker
The joist run from the wall to the "I" beam around 12 feet long. The tank will be located on the wall side of the joist.

Frederick

Unread 09/17/2013, 09:04 PM   #25
fredyu
Registered Member

I found a good articles explaining Residential Wood Framed Floors and Aquarium Weights if you are interested

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

Frederick