Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2017, 11:46 AM   #1
DrRoboto
Registered Member

survey on cephs as pets

Hi all,

I am cephalopod scientist working in the UK on a book chapter (Cephalopod Enrichment) as part of a general invertebrate welfare book, and very curious as to your experiences with cephs as pets. I just want some very basic facts, like how much you have paid, where they come from and what cephs you have had. Nothing major and absolutely anonymous.I have no interest in using the information for or against keeping cephs as pets (from what I see the numbers kept are trivial and welfare way better than in science or aquaculture).

The survey is here and has 12 questions which can be answered in a few mins. It is just to get some background to the wider theme and not in anyway a major part of the chapter

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

Many thanks for reading

Gav
www.drgmcooke.co.uk

DrRoboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 10:11 AM   #2
DrRoboto
Registered Member

Ok, fair enough, a few ceph related photos to bribe you?

This is an Eledone cirrhosa (curled octopus) I rescued and looked after over winter before releasing it.

Gav

Unread 04/24/2017, 04:28 PM   #3
andrewkw
Registered Member

Done.

A major issue for me now is live foods can be difficult to obtain in Canada and even when you get them shipping is very pricey.

There had been times were LFS would offer me free cuttlefish eggs as I have hatched them in the past but I had to turn them down because the cost of live foods were too great. If I lived near the ocean I'd probably still keep cephs. That being said Octopus were much easier to get on prepared foods.

andrewkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 01:10 AM   #4
DrRoboto
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkw View Post
Done.

A major issue for me now is live foods can be difficult to obtain in Canada and even when you get them shipping is very pricey.

There had been times were LFS would offer me free cuttlefish eggs as I have hatched them in the past but I had to turn them down because the cost of live foods were too great. If I lived near the ocean I'd probably still keep cephs. That being said Octopus were much easier to get on prepared foods.
Really appreciate it thank you. I too have struggled with live food. I had 200 cuttles hatch within 24 hours but only enough food for 50, luckily I could release locally but not possible for everyone.

Have a ceph photo on me

Thanks for taking part

Gav

Unread 06/01/2017, 01:01 PM   #5
CVReefer
Registered Member

I have raised 4 sepia bandensis from eggs to maturity and getting live food was my biggest hurdle. It was a bi-weekly order and very expensive. They lived in the refugium for my 120g mixed reef and one of my favorite creatures.

CVReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2017, 01:03 PM   #6
CVReefer
Registered Member

Completed the survey, I wish there was a comment section in the survey to clarify responses

CVReefer is offline   Reply With Quote