Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2007, 04:30 PM   #151
jacmyoung
Premium Member

joeychitwood, you can post the picture directly in your post like we do, just use the [IMG] tool. Oops, guess you did.

With a dremel you should be able to buff out the rough edges at the cut to help the flow.

jacmyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2007, 04:34 PM   #152
mr pink floyd
Moved On

yea, whe nthe shroud is off there is an amazing ammount of flow

this is most likely becasue there is no resistance at all

think of it this way, it still has to be forced out through a tunnel, even if both the inside and outside tubes are cut off. Im still tryign to design a way to make no resistance, yet keep the front covered

i haev a few ideas and will post once i have something i like, after i get that done and get a few responses, some critisism on hwo to improve it then ill buy another shroud off tunze and make it work

mr pink floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2007, 06:26 PM   #153
dhnguyen
Moved On

mr pink floyd

A really easy mod to increase the flow is to cut every other slot off on the shroud, essentially allowing for more inlet area hence increasing the flow. I saw the nano stream in person the other day and felt that the shroud is way too restrictive.

D.

dhnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2007, 06:29 PM   #154
mr pink floyd
Moved On

yea, that is true dh.

so far the idea i have is cutting a hole in the front, the whole tube off, then using something like eggcrate to cover the hole.

im not sure exactly how to go about doing this, but ill keep thinking. If you have any ideas, feel free to post

Unread 02/26/2007, 07:45 PM   #155
dhnguyen
Moved On

Why would you need to cover the hole back up with eggcrate or anything? Is it to keep your fish out? While the pump is on, I doubt any fish will be strong enough or stupid enough to try to swim into the shroud.

Now I can see where this could be a problem when the pump is off. But then if you have any smaller fish that can fit through the eggcrate this could still be a problem potentially.

dhnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2007, 07:47 PM   #156
mr pink floyd
Moved On

i was thinking to cover it so if the prop spun backwards, it wouldnt shoot out of the pump housing

Unread 02/26/2007, 08:07 PM   #157
jacmyoung
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr pink floyd
i was thinking to cover it so if the prop spun backwards, it wouldnt shoot out of the pump housing
I have tried many times unsuccessfully to get the prop to shoot out. It always got pulled back before completely separated from the housing. That said the possibility is there. But even that can be resolved, all you need to do is switch it on and off quickly until it spins correctly, not allowing the prop the chance to shoot out too much.

My main concern of further mod is aesthetic than anything else. If we cut the shroud too much to expose the prop it wouldn't look good.

Unread 03/02/2007, 03:35 PM   #158
jefathome
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
Why would you need to cover the hole back up with eggcrate or anything? Is it to keep your fish out? While the pump is on, I doubt any fish will be strong enough or stupid enough to try to swim into the shroud.

Now I can see where this could be a problem when the pump is off. But then if you have any smaller fish that can fit through the eggcrate this could still be a problem potentially.
No, but I'll bet that my sea-hare is that stupid.

Current Tank Info: *NEW* 150g in-wall Solartube display; 60g 4x2ft frag tank; 3g work Pico.... all Reef tanks
jefathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2007, 05:42 PM   #159
jdoenumber2
Registered Member

my mods prop gets stuck almost ervery time. Im safe as long as i dont turn it off.

jdoenumber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2007, 05:44 PM   #160
E-A-G-L-E-S
Registered Member

what did you do? I saw the post where you said you were going to further mod it, but what exactly did you do?

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
E-A-G-L-E-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2007, 09:56 PM   #161
drouner
Registered Member

Looks like my Saturday project.

I'm just happy to be here!

It all started with a 10 gallon Wal Mart FW combo.

Current Tank Info: Old school Oceanic 58 gallon mixed reef
drouner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2007, 01:23 AM   #162
dga
Registered Member

the video doesnt show anything but the photographer...

Unread 03/03/2007, 01:12 PM   #163
mr pink floyd
Moved On

well what would you like the video to show? i showed the corals movement and the flake getting blown around

what were you expecting?

Unread 03/03/2007, 01:13 PM   #164
GSMguy
Registered Member

3d digital imaging and stereoscopic cababilities. duh

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2007, 01:58 PM   #165
mr pink floyd
Moved On

oh whoops, i must have forgotten to do that on my $5000 dollar computer

Unread 03/03/2007, 02:41 PM   #166
drouner
Registered Member

Dancing Girls?

I'm just happy to be here!

It all started with a 10 gallon Wal Mart FW combo.

Current Tank Info: Old school Oceanic 58 gallon mixed reef
drouner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2007, 11:26 PM   #167
jacmyoung
Premium Member

I finally had a little time for myself to do another mod for my already modded 6025. I decided to cut a few slots on the underside of the shroud for several reasons:

1. I noticed with the increased flow, the pump tends to draw some air bubbles if too close to the surface;
2. The underside of the shroud is the closest to the prop so a potential to maximize the flow;
and 3. If my slots don't look good, they are not that noticeable.

After the mod, I can say by the feel of my hand the flow is very close to when the shroud is completely taken off. And we all know that is a lot of flow. I don't have a way to test it but my guess easily 1,500gph. Also the pump now can be less than one inch from the water surface without drawing air.

First is the standard mod:

This is the "wide flow mod" where the from part of the shroud is cut all the way back to the ball, leaving only enough room to put on the fish screen:

Now the "full blast mod":

Anothe shot of the "full blast mod":

Fully assembled:

When I get around to do the same mod on my second 6025, I hope I can do a better job and make the slots look nicer, if anyone can offer some pointers on how to do so with a dremel please tell. Maybe I need more than just a standard dremel kit, maybe a guide?

But first thing first, how do I display the photos directly in my post? I used to just unpload to RC, now I am using Yahoo Photos from my DSL account.

Last edited by jacmyoung; 03/03/2007 at 11:36 PM.
Unread 03/03/2007, 11:29 PM   #168
GSMguy
Registered Member

i think itt looks great how is the flow compared to standard mod

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Unread 03/03/2007, 11:40 PM   #169
jacmyoung
Premium Member

Definitely more than the standard mod. I can honestly say it felt like the shroud was off.

BTW a word of caution the "wide flow mod" will not allow the pump to self-correct the flow at startup so don't do it if you don't want to disable that function.

Unread 03/03/2007, 11:44 PM   #170
GSMguy
Registered Member

i want to do the standard and full blast but not the wide that will be nice to make it more effective at 3ft

Unread 03/03/2007, 11:50 PM   #171
jacmyoung
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
i want to do the standard and full blast but not the wide that will be nice to make it more effective at 3ft
The full blast easily blasts those little dandruff in the water across the length of my tank (4') and then bounces them back some more. With my other 6025 on the other end pointed at each other, they all ended up crashing at the center of the tank.

Unread 03/04/2007, 12:01 AM   #172
mr pink floyd
Moved On

id love to see a short video of the full blast mod before i try it

last time i did a mod my tank went crazy for days with all the dtrritus it blew up, i dont think i haev any dead spots right now, but i dont want to kill the zoas in my tank either

Unread 03/04/2007, 12:10 AM   #173
Icefire
Seasoned reefer

I got a 6025 for 30$ today(1month used)
I'll do the mod tomorow but where to place it in the tank?

got a 36x16x20 50g tank and if I place it on one high side pointing at the surface and front, it's blast a hell everywhere.
My xenia is 3" off the sand and in the middle, and it's already high.

I was even getting sand tornado 12in tall ever 5min lol

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 120lbs live rocks, Hydra52 2x120W, 2 MP40+ 1 MP10 @ 70%, Phosban 550 GFO+Carbon, 200W Heater, SWC Skimmer, Kalk ATO, 150 gpd RODI
Icefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2007, 12:11 AM   #174
GSMguy
Registered Member

i couldent stand to look at my seio anymore so i have actually reduced my flow i need to add some more now

Unread 03/04/2007, 12:18 AM   #175
mr pink floyd
Moved On

well i got bored and drilled a 1/2" hole in the front tube right below where the impellars rear end it, and i do feel the suction coming up right from below, which adds flow from below the pump, moving more water around. If you put your finger over the hole the flow is reduced, however with the small hole i did it is not by much, but there is an increase. if you cut large slits like he did there will be much more of an increase

now if only this pump was silent, it is the only thing in my tank that bugs me, i love the flow nad the look of it, its just a loud hummmmmmm

my tank is dead silent when the pump is off, i managed to silence my overflow adn the return running in from the fuge, but this is just a hummmmmmm i can hear from outside my room and down the hall maybe like 10 feet if the door is open. it sounds similar to a fan, just different, its a steady pitch, which makes it manageable for sleep though, which is good

i think this pump is amazing now with the mods though, thanks for everyoen who has pitched in, and did some testing of their own, and keep on making this thing better!

once i get a job(turn 16 in under 2 weeks) ill start playing around with it more, like buyign the different motors, and impellars, mixing and matchign different parts with different mods, to try to get things perfect for different setups.