Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2009, 03:08 AM   #1
crsaz
Moved On

wholesale without a store front

are there any suppliers that offer semi "wholesale" pricing of sps/lps without requiring a store front? like if I wanted to start up a small aquaculture business and wanted to sell online/locally. I have several large mother colonies but I would like to triple or quadruple the amount of mothers I have so I can essentially have frags available constantly.

crsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Steven Pro
Registered Member

Different wholesalers have different rules. Some don't permit businesses without a store front, some don't allow jobbers in, everyone has their own ways of doing business. But, there are a number of wholesale livestock places that would sell to you. Just start calling around. They all advertise in the back of AFI.

Current Tank Info: Twelve 600 gallon tubs located in a greenhouse
Steven Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 08:24 PM   #3
xroads
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Pro View Post
Different wholesalers have different rules. Some don't permit businesses without a store front, some don't allow jobbers in, everyone has their own ways of doing business. But, there are a number of wholesale livestock places that would sell to you. Just start calling around. They all advertise in the back of AFI.
AFI as in Aquarium Fish International?

xroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Steven Pro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroads View Post
AFI as in Aquarium Fish International?
Yes, sorry for the abbreviation.

Current Tank Info: Twelve 600 gallon tubs located in a greenhouse
Steven Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 11:35 AM   #5
mkenny1818
Registered Member

Just go to the state and get the paperwork. Then you can pretty much buy anywhere.. almost... Where are you located?

mkenny1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 11:54 AM   #6
1DeR9_3Hy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenny1818 View Post
Just go to the state and get the paperwork. Then you can pretty much buy anywhere.. almost... Where are you located?
I dont mean to be rude, but no wholesaler out there (in this business) will sell to just anyone with $30 worth of documentation. If the wholesaler does do that, then they are knowingly selling direct and cutting out their retail customers...what do you think happens then?

Ive worked in the FW side of this for a wholesaler, and even legitimate start up fish stores were run through the ringer. They have to be like that.

1DeR9_3Hy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 03:08 PM   #7
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DeR9_3Hy View Post
I dont mean to be rude, but no wholesaler out there (in this business) will sell to just anyone with $30 worth of documentation.
I don't mean to be rude, but EVERY wholesaler does that, and by every I mean 100% of them. What do you think they make everyone send in a picture of themselves holding up their seller's permit and the daily newspaper while standing in front of their store?

When I had a shop on the east coast I opened accounts with every wholesaler with $15 worth of documentation, because that's what every wholesaler needs for you to open an account. Opening a wholesale account doesn't matter though, because without connections you'll only be getting brown corals unless you're buying the actual amounts that BIG storefronts are buying. If you're thinking of spending $300 and getting pure gold prepare to be extreeeeeeeeemly disappointed.

Unread 11/04/2009, 03:17 PM   #8
the808state
Registered Member

ORA doesn't allow sale to online retailers, only brick and mortor.

the808state is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 04:33 PM   #9
organism
code monkey

Funny, I ordered from ORA several times with my $15 of paperwork, and there's quite a few online retailers that specialize in ordering frags from ORA

When I said every wholesaler I did mean every wholesaler...

Unread 11/04/2009, 04:50 PM   #10
1DeR9_3Hy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but EVERY wholesaler does that, and by every I mean 100% of them.
Must be a regional thing, in Michigan its not easy to get into a FW/SW distributor without trade ref's or another store to vouch for you. The people i worked for got burnt once for not following up on the details (some guy came in, spent $3500 to "open" his store and it turned out to be hobbyist setting up a breeder system). Because that clown came in, they lost a good customers trust and plenty of business for a few months. Its just not worth it for a wholesaler to sell to everyone who has a Tax ID number....

Quote:
What do you think they make everyone send in a picture of themselves holding up their seller's permit and the daily newspaper while standing in front of their store?
Not a bad idea, thanks!

Unread 11/04/2009, 04:51 PM   #11
the808state
Registered Member

Quote:
Funny, I ordered from ORA several times with my $15 of paperwork, and there's quite a few online retailers that specialize in ordering frags from ORA
I'm just telling you what they told me. It is also on thier application form.

I do apologize but right now we are not taking applications for online sales. We currently are only opening accounts for pet shops at this time. We appreciate your interest in ORA.

Sincerely,
Lisa (removed)

and don't roll your eyes again just yet... Here is where they ask for a picture of your storefront:

Unread 11/04/2009, 05:05 PM   #12
Step Johns
Registered Member

that is great

Step Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 05:15 PM   #13
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by the808state View Post
and don't roll your eyes again just yet... Here is where they ask for a picture of your storefront
A picture of a storefront... or a phone book ad, or 3 invoices from suppliers. Can an online shop get 3 invoices from other wholesalers and a phone book listing (free)? That said the vast majority of stores that I know of avoid ORA like the plague, so it's kind of a moot point... Unless you have actually tried to open an account with ORA or any wholesaler I'm not understanding why you're giving me the deep freeze for correcting you in the first place.

Not sure what a "ninja edit" is, and I'm really not trying to be confrontational, just seems that someone was asking reasonable questions and getting very incorrect answers from people with either minimal or no industry experience.

Unread 11/04/2009, 05:19 PM   #14
Step Johns
Registered Member

So i live in california and want to get a liscense so i can buy from the wholesalers. How would i obtain this and about how much would this cost? sorry for hijacking the thread for a sec

Step Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 05:27 PM   #15
organism
code monkey

You can call them to see what the requirements are, you'll have to google how to get the paperwork for your local area. For walk-ins wholesalers are pickier since hobbyist walk-ins directly compete with their local clients, so expect to need more than $15 of paperwork... Also, local shops will report you if you're a hobbyist shopping there, and you'll get a pretty quick ban.

Unread 11/04/2009, 05:34 PM   #16
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DeR9_3Hy View Post
Must be a regional thing, in Michigan its not easy to get into a FW/SW distributor without trade ref's or another store to vouch for you. The people i worked for got burnt once for not following up on the details (some guy came in, spent $3500 to "open" his store and it turned out to be hobbyist setting up a breeder system).
I can understand that one entirely, usually local walk-ins get a lot more constraints put on them than out of state ones since local shops should be protected from hobbyist shoppers. Plus out of state shops can be nearly impossible to verify unfortunately.

Unread 11/04/2009, 05:59 PM   #17
DThompson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step Johns View Post
So i live in california and want to get a liscense so i can buy from the wholesalers. How would i obtain this and about how much would this cost? sorry for hijacking the thread for a sec
Step,

I don't wont to discourage you. But, you really should do some math first before rushing out and starting a company in order to buy from a wholesaler to get a few corals. The reporting requirements, sales tax reporting, and quarterly IRS reporting may or may not be worth it depending on what your plans are. Especially being in California.

With that said, I owned a LFS in Florida for several years and do not remember ever being put through the ringer. Things may have changed over the years, but I am guessing you should find a wholesaler willing to sell to you.

There are a few good books available on coral propagation. The one I just finished suggested strongly that you use your local reef club as a source for corals. It would seem to me you are getting some good advice here from guys that have done it. There really is no magical distributor. Buy things you like even if you pay a few extra dollars while you are getting started.

My advice is start propagating as a hobby as see where it goes.

DThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 06:10 PM   #18
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DThompson View Post
The one I just finished suggested strongly that you use your local reef club as a source for corals.
That book sounds familiar

Unread 11/04/2009, 06:21 PM   #19
DThompson
Registered Member

Quote:
Miguel? Cool. Great book you wrote. I was going to email you as my LFS might want to sell it. They have a nice selection of books. I am going to loan them my copy to review it.

I really enjoyed reading it.

DThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 06:40 PM   #20
the808state
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm really not trying to be confrontational, just seems that someone was asking reasonable questions and getting very incorrect answers from people with either minimal or no industry experience.
I am not looking for trouble either, you made a comment and my experience with a wholesaler contradicts your comment. That is all. According to my experience your comment is incorrect as well.

I agree most will not require it, but saying 100% is incorrect. As you try to correct posts, i did nothing different.

There are places over seas that export that will not ask you for anything. You meet minimum and pay up they ship you boxes of coral.

Back on topic...

OP, i agree with DThompson... It probably isn't going to be worth it. A better idea is to search your local reef forum for tank break downs. A lot of good mother colonies can be aquired that way.

Unread 11/04/2009, 07:08 PM   #21
Urchinhead
Registered Member

Quote:
You can call them to see what the requirements are, you'll have to google how to get the paperwork for your local area. For walk-ins wholesalers are pickier since hobbyist walk-ins directly compete with their local clients, so expect to need more than $15 of paperwork... Also, local shops will report you if you're a hobbyist shopping there, and you'll get a pretty quick ban.
Hey Miguel! Hope all's well with you!

I want to kick in my two cents as I notice no one has really mentioned it... On top of the paperwork most (if not all) wholesaler's have a minimum purchase requirement which means that if you go in you have to spend X dollars minimum and sometimes you have to get N number of something to get one of what you really want. You don't just get to pick and choose a few things.

So at the end of the day does it really make sense to spend $300 just to get a fish or coral that you were looking for at wholesale price then have to find away to get rid of everything else you had to buy or to just spend the extra and support your local LFS?

Urchinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 07:15 PM   #22
1DeR9_3Hy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchinhead View Post
Hey Miguel! Hope all's well with you!

I want to kick in my two cents as I notice no one has really mentioned it... On top of the paperwork most (if not all) wholesaler's have a minimum purchase requirement which means that if you go in you have to spend X dollars minimum and sometimes you have to get N number of something to get one of what you really want. You don't just get to pick and choose a few things.

So at the end of the day does it really make sense to spend $300 just to get a fish or coral that you were looking for at wholesale price then have to find away to get rid of everything else you had to buy or to just spend the extra and support your local LFS?
Good point...most wholesalers have to appeal to the masses, which means to meet the minimums your going to have to pick up some run of the mill stuff....

Unread 11/04/2009, 10:44 PM   #23
magnoliarichj
Registered Member

all you need is a tax id and a business license whitch is free in florida if your going to do aquaculture.. then you get discounts form mostly any one and enough places to do business on line.... for example.. those ati t5ho bulbs every one likes.... they are 12-14 dollars for a 48" one and they sell for 23-25. all you need is a tax id and business lic to get that discount.

magnoliarichj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2009, 12:06 AM   #24
Ian
I <3 Corals!

Quote:
That was a stupid book

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2009, 09:36 AM   #25
1DeR9_3Hy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliarichj View Post
all you need is a tax id and a business license whitch is free in florida if your going to do aquaculture.. then you get discounts form mostly any one and enough places to do business on line.... for example.. those ati t5ho bulbs every one likes.... they are 12-14 dollars for a 48" one and they sell for 23-25. all you need is a tax id and business lic to get that discount.
Hell i have a tax ID and im still in aquaculture, whats the name of the wholesaler? I need about 8 of those bulbs...