Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2015, 12:59 PM   #1
laverda
Registered Member

Smile Tell me your experience with Deepwater Aquatics DC Pumps

I am considering getting a Deepwater Aquatics BLDC10 or BLDC12 DC Pump while Marine Depot has their 15% off sale going on. Some concerns have come up about DC pumps in general, but I am asking specifically about the Deepwater Aquatics DC Pumps.

I would like to hear others real experience with the Deepwater Aquatics DC Pumps.
Do they put out the claimed GPH?
Are their energy usage claims accurate?
Have they been reliable for you?
Thank you

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube

Last edited by laverda; 07/23/2015 at 01:04 PM.
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 02:53 PM   #2
sleepydoc
Registered Member

My experience was limited - I ordered one from salty supply. When it arrived, I found out it uses British pipe threads instead of NPT fittings, so I ended up returning it. BPT fittings are close, but not compatible with NPT fittings, so make sure they send an adapter if you get one.

Unread 07/23/2015, 05:47 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Those rebellious Brits ..... Drive on the wrong side, a gallon's not a gallon and they can't even get pipe threads right ...... Before you know it they'll end up with their own currency ..... Sheesh.

Oh, and FWIW, buddy if mine has one of these and likes it a lot. Only had it for about six months though.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 01:41 AM   #4
laverda
Registered Member

Thanks Guys. I am aware of the British pipe threads. British threads are not that different then what we use, only the thread shape is a little different. The number of threads per inch is the same. If I remember correctly SAE threads have a point to the thread, where as British standard threads are rounded at the edge of the threads. In most cases it does not matter really Just run a tap or die over them and your set. PVC should not even need that.

Unread 07/24/2015, 07:10 AM   #5
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I have 3 Jebao DC12000 pumps in use. 1 submersed and 1 external on my 180g reef and a submersed for my 65g tank. All 3 have been running for over a year now and I love them. The variable speed helps with control and the 10 minute feed cycle helps with feeding and I love the soft start.

You shouldn't have any issues... except the threads. And they can be dealt with if you try.

Unread 07/24/2015, 10:19 AM   #6
laverda
Registered Member

Ron
I know they have not been out that long, but a year is nothing really. Especially considering how many people have had issues with the Jebao pumps in much less then a year.

My current 3000 GPH 140watt(measured via Killowatt) return pump came with my tank and has been running strong for at least 14 years that I know of. During the 10 years I have had it, I have replaced the seal once and cleaned it 3 other times. The only reasons I am thinking of not using it again are:
1. I want to get my new tank up and cycled before I take it off my old tank.
2. I would like to reduce the electrical usage, due to high SCE rates in So Ca.
3. it is a large external pump and I have to have all my equipment under the stand and would prefer to have the room for a larger sump.

If I was going to even consider a Jebao I would have to plan on using two due to their poor reliability. If I have to buy 2 of them, then I might as well buy a better quality pump for more money.

Unread 07/24/2015, 10:24 AM   #7
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
I have 3 Jebao DC12000 pumps in use. 1 submersed and 1 external on my 180g reef and a submersed for my 65g tank. All 3 have been running for over a year now and I love them. The variable speed helps with control and the 10 minute feed cycle helps with feeding and I love the soft start.

You shouldn't have any issues... except the threads. And they can be dealt with if you try.
I'm using this pump as my return and I love it for the same reasons you stated. It's dead silent as long as the pump is not touching the sides of my sump.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 02:47 PM   #8
gcarroll
Registered Member

Steve I have heard no issues with this pump. Unlike many of the other Jebao/Jecod clones, this is made by an entirely different company.

If you are really worried, you can hold out for the new Ecotech Vectra. The changes they have made should improve reliability, not that this pump will have the issues associated with the Jebao.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 03:52 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
Steve I have heard no issues with this pump. Unlike many of the other Jebao/Jecod clones, this is made by an entirely different company.

If you are really worried, you can hold out for the new Ecotech Vectra. The changes they have made should improve reliability, not that this pump will have the issues associated with the Jebao.
While the motor block on the Deep Water BLDC may be different that the Jebao's, it appears to use the same if not very similar controller and likely same if not damn near same power supply. It happens that the power supplies and controllers are the weak link in the "other" DC pumps. Obviously I can't confirm with certainty that the controllers and PSU's are the same but they sure look similar to my eyes with exception of some differences in the housings. That said, I personally would have much more confidence in the Ecotech Vectra in large part due to the fact that they are using their own controller and what I would expect to be a higher quality PSU. My better judgement leads me to believe that Ecotech may use an improved impeller as well as better o-ring seals for external use but that is just speculation on my part.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 04:30 PM   #10
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
While the motor block on the Deep Water BLDC may be different that the Jebao's, it appears to use the same if not very similar controller and likely same if not damn near same power supply. It happens that the power supplies and controllers are the weak link in the "other" DC pumps. Obviously I can't confirm with certainty that the controllers and PSU's are the same but they sure look similar to my eyes with exception of some differences in the housings. That said, I personally would have much more confidence in the Ecotech Vectra in large part due to the fact that they are using their own controller and what I would expect to be a higher quality PSU. My better judgement leads me to believe that Ecotech may use an improved impeller as well as better o-ring seals for external use but that is just speculation on my part.
I can confirm! They do not use the same controller, as the Deepwater BLDC is sine wave. The Jebao is not.

In no way should it be held down to the standards of the Jebao since it is produced by a completely different factory and at this time their track record is pretty clean! If this was a new pump from Jebao, I wouldn't be so quick to give them the benefit of the doubt, however even Jebao made pumps have vastly improved their reliability!

As for an improved impeller and O-ring. Why would that be necessary. Like I said, it's not a Jeboa.

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
Unread 07/24/2015, 05:02 PM   #11
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I can confirm! They do not use the same controller, as the Deepwater BLDC is sine wave. The Jebao is not.

In no way should it be held down to the standards of the Jebao since it is produced by a completely different factory and at this time their track record is pretty clean! If this was a new pump from Jebao, I wouldn't be so quick to give them the benefit of the doubt, however even Jebao made pumps have vastly improved their reliability!

As for an improved impeller and O-ring. Why would that be necessary. Like I said, it's not a Jeboa.
That is a good point about the Jebao not being sine wave. I guess time will tell on these pumps. It would be interesting to compare the BLDC's to the Vectra's to see if there are any other changes that Ecotech is making to them beyond just the controller and PSU. Things like a titanium shaft as opposed to stainless would the part of the subtle changes one might expect on an improved impeller. A thicker or high quality o-ring for improved reliabilty when used externally would be another subtle yet inexpensive change that may or may not be worthy.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 07/24/2015, 08:22 PM   #12
triggreef
Registered Member

I bought 2, one is back up, to replace my reeflo. I posted a short review under some one else thread as I've only had for a few months. Loving them so far. 14 ft of head from basement sump. I only need about the third setting for comparable flow to the reeflo bh1450.

I just bought a third for a skimmer. Best Price is amazon unless this sale is better.

Unread 07/25/2015, 12:24 AM   #13
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:

Thanks Greg. I know they are not the same as the Jebao and clones, which is why I am considering them. The ecotech is not in my budget at this time. I wish Tunze would make something in this GPH Wattage range.

Unread 07/25/2015, 12:30 AM   #14
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggreef View Post
I bought 2, one is back up, to replace my reeflo. I posted a short review under some one else thread as I've only had for a few months. Loving them so far. 14 ft of head from basement sump. I only need about the third setting for comparable flow to the reeflo bh1450.

I just bought a third for a skimmer. Best Price is amazon unless this sale is better.
triggreef
Thanks Have you tester the current usage? Do think the flow is what they claim?
MDs price is the same so the sale makes it a better deal.

Unread 07/26/2015, 03:12 AM   #15
azjohnny
Registered Member

Does anybody know who produces the BLDC motors and what country?

azjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2015, 07:23 AM   #16
bayoupr
Registered Member

Quote:
Seems to be top secret. I checked my BLDC 8 box and pump for this info, nothing. Can't find any thing on Google either.

bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2015, 06:26 PM   #17
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjohnny View Post
Top Eco produces the motor block.

The next part of this has nothing to do with your question but I figured it's worth mentioned because this was touched on earlier in this thread....

Quote:
Before I go on, I will note that I am not knocking the Deepwater pump at all. I am sure it's motorblock is better than most of the other DC's out there and because of that, it may not be subject to many of the issues that other DC pumps have had. Time will tell with the Deepwater pumps since nobody here has used them for any length of time.

Deepwater does in fact use essentially the same generic controller shared by many other cheap DC pumps.. Sincewave or not. They make subtle changes to the label and the controller housing but that is it. The power supply may or may not be different. Notice the Waveline controller and Bluewater controller are essentially exactly the same. The Waveline is not a Sinewave pump controller compared to the Deepwater controller .. There is no disputing the fact that the Deepwater and Waveline share the exact same controller minus the mounting tabs and slightly different housing. The Jebao pump controller pictured below is also damn near the same too with exception of a slightly smaller controller housing and different labeling. Under the skin, I'd bet they are nearly identical if not identical.

Notice any similarities??

Last edited by slief; 07/26/2015 at 06:54 PM.
Unread 07/26/2015, 06:52 PM   #18
bayoupr
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't care what anybody else says, Deepwater uses essentially the same generic controller shared by many other cheap DC pumps..
One difference is they use a metal housing which can handle and dissipate the heat better than the other plastic controller housings.

bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2015, 07:06 PM   #19
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoupr View Post
One difference is they use a metal housing which can handle and dissipate the heat better than the other plastic controller housings.
Agreed but I don't think that metal housing is that that heavy duty and I wouldn't expect these controllers to generate that much heat compared to the power supply. It might acutally come down to the quality of the motorblocks. If the other motors are really weak, they could produce additional loads on the electronics or power suppy that creates excessive heat or premature failures of the components outside of the pump. I will note that there is probably a good reason why Ecotech chose this block over the other popular DC blocks for their Vectra line. Basic DC control is pretty simple as are the power supplies. It's the motor and the chip inside the motor that make all the difference. Case in point is the Jebao power heads. It's widely known that you need to keep those really clean or they will stall or fail much sooner than those that are kept clean. Many clean their power heads monthly which is probably recommended. I have seen this first hand myself with a friends use of them. 2 out of 4 brand new Jebao's stall regularly. The motors in those powerheads are really weak compared to Tunze's as an example that are hard to kill regardless of maintenance. So the motor may have a lot to do with the power supply and controller failures that we have seen with the other DC pumps or it could be that companies like Jebao use a cheaper powersupply. I don't really know but near as I can tell, the key difference appears to be the motorblock in this case and perhaps as Greg mentioned, the power supply but I would love to get my hands on both so I could really compare those details.

Unread 07/26/2015, 08:47 PM   #20
sleepydoc
Registered Member

You're right about the interaction between the controller and the motor, but I would also add that one of the reported methods of controller failure for the jebao pumps was overheating, and even cheap metal conducts heat better than plastic.

I've also noticed the similarities between the various controllers, and would be interested to see a tear down of them to compare.

I read an article once that compared several of the square USB power supplies like you get with an iPhone. They all looked virtually the same on the outside, but there were significant differences in the quality of the components on the inside, so you can't draw too many conclusions.

Unread 07/26/2015, 08:59 PM   #21
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
You're right about the interaction between the controller and the motor, but I would also add that one of the reported methods of controller failure for the jebao pumps was overheating, and even cheap metal conducts heat better than plastic.

I've also noticed the similarities between the various controllers, and would be interested to see a tear down of them to compare.

I read an article once that compared several of the square USB power supplies like you get with an iPhone. They all looked virtually the same on the outside, but there were significant differences in the quality of the components on the inside, so you can't draw too many conclusions.
This is very true and like you I would like to see a tear down myself.

Unread 07/29/2015, 06:11 AM   #22
zachfishman
Registered Member

For those of you using BLDC pumps, what pump did your BLDC replace (if any)? And how does the flow compare?

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2015, 10:51 AM   #23
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

The Deepwater-pump has nothing to o with the cheap Jebao-pumps. Thats complet different Factorys. I know the guy, where build the pumps for Deepwater now longer as 7 years... The problem of the Design for all chinese DC Pumps and controllers : ..... he look all as the same. The Chinese wait on a stupid western Guy, where make a new Design and so, all chinese copycats jump on this new train :-)

best regards ... Klaus

Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2015, 01:07 AM   #24
E_shaw90
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjohnny View Post
They are produced by:

Shenzhen Hipool Motor Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen Hishine Energy & Electronic Technology Co., Ltd.
8 Building, Kondarl industry park,
Shajing Town,
Shenzhen, 518125 China.

http://www.hishinetech.com/en.php?/g...-19/index.html

E_shaw90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2015, 08:59 AM   #25
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Jansen D View Post
The Deepwater-pump has nothing to o with the cheap Jebao-pumps. Thats complet different Factorys. I know the guy, where build the pumps for Deepwater now longer as 7 years... The problem of the Design for all chinese DC Pumps and controllers : ..... he look all as the same. The Chinese wait on a stupid western Guy, where make a new Design and so, all chinese copycats jump on this new train :-)

best regards ... Klaus
did you cut and paste? lol