Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2017, 12:52 PM   #1
Justjohno
Registered Member

MP40WQD cleaning

I have a couple of MP40WQD pumps on each side of my tank. I have a question about keeping them clean and functional. I've had them for about 1 year and they've froze up at least 3 times. Each time I need to un-clip the plate below the impeller and clean. It's freezing now almost every 30 days. Are we supposed to clean the pump this way, or the expectation is to replace the entire wet Side each time it freezes?

Justjohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 09:40 AM   #2
Stolireef
Registered Member

I clean mine about every 90 days without issue

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 10:42 AM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Freezing in what way? When removing it, is the prop locked up and won't turn? Are you using the correct spacer? I've been running a pair of them since they first came out (2 yrs?) and am really bad about cleaning them. Not a single freeze up.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Breadman03
New Old School

Mine kept stopping with no apparent friction on the propeller. What clued me in was my iPhone app said something about one of my motors being over temp. I dropped my percentage a little and it hasn't happened again.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Justjohno
Registered Member

I've actually witnessed this in my tank. The MP40 will start to get loud, then dry side pops off. I remove the wet side from the glass and the impeller is froze. I have to unclip (3 clips) the plate below impeller, remove the impeller from the ceramic pin and clean it. The first time I took it apart, I think there was grease on the bottom of the large magnet.

My actual question is, are we suppose to take these apart and clean and if so do we just clean and re-assemble, do they take special lubricant.

When I first installed the new MP40 it ran for 7 - 8 months with no problems, now the impeller freezes at least once a month. I soaked in vinegar this past weekend, hope this helps.

I've seen videos on ecotechs website on cleaning older models, but not the new model....or I'm missing something.

Justjohno is offline   Reply With Quote