Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2012, 08:07 AM   #26
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Nice update on the edge of my seat to see this thing. Any thoughts on the lasso thing yet?

TundraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2012, 05:20 PM   #27
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraGuy View Post
Nice update on the edge of my seat to see this thing. Any thoughts on the lasso thing yet?
I'm nervous about it ?

I am curious as to why Dr. Caldwell uses a wire as the noose rather then something like a strong fishing line (not too fine or else noose get too tight) but I'd imagine a strong fishing line like 16-20Lb gel spun would be a lot easier to close the noose on in a more "gentle" manner.

Who am I to say how to build a thing I have never used whilst the man that recommends it has used them and on hundreds of large spearers ?

So yeah like I said.

I am nervous.

Unread 02/23/2012, 10:12 PM   #28
Kharn
MANTISMAN

LIGHTING COMPARISON
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supreme Aquarium Dual T5 2FT 2x24watt, Single switch cannot have blue on and white off or vice versa only both on or both off, cost $130 2ft fixture.

VS

HETO LED 3x 6.24watt, Double switch can have Blue LEDS ON and White LEDS off and vice versa, cost $90 2ft fixture.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SIZES & BRIGHTNESS

HETO LED TOP / SUPREME AQUA DUAL T5 BOTTOM

SUPREME AQUA DUAL T5 LEFT / HETO LED RIGHT

SUPREME AQUA DUAL T5 LEFT / HETO LED RIGHT

SUPREME AQUA DUAL T5

HETO LED

Also to note is the weight of the fixtures the HETO LED fixture all up would weigh 2-3x LESS then the Supreme Aqua Dual T5, also to note is that I'll never have to replace bulbs on the LED's whilst the thought of having to replace 16+ T5's (8x DUAL fixtures various sizes)......is daunting.

Unread 02/23/2012, 10:19 PM   #29
Kharn
MANTISMAN

FILTRATION & LIGHTING

So today I went about collecting the filtration & lighting that I need, to start off with I went and got 2 more Fluval FX5's! Next stop was a different LFS but still close by (20mins) to pick up the lighting for the tanks.

Here is the result at a total cost of $1600 (I got 10% off in both stores because I am a member of a local forum which the stores themselves are members off and members get discounts )

Note: 1 of the FX5 boxes (the opened one) is the one I already have and is currently running my 250L system.

More to come!

Unread 02/24/2012, 06:00 AM   #30
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

hehehehe *rubs hands togther* and so it begins! mwhahahaha!

btw good right up on the leds and t5s

Unread 02/24/2012, 03:30 PM   #31
King Nikon
Registered Member

You sir, are insane. Whether or not it is a good or bad insane I have no clue.

King Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 03:48 PM   #32
Jacwil
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nikon View Post
I concur!!

Curious why you decided to go with those certainly more expensive hobbyist leds over the ones we were chatting about last month? $130 vs $30-$40?

-Justin
Jacwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 04:06 PM   #33
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacwil View Post
I concur!!

Curious why you decided to go with those certainly more expensive hobbyist leds over the ones we were chatting about last month? $130 vs $30-$40?
Actually
2ft = $90e.a.
3ft = $110e.a.
4ft= $130e.a.

I really like these fixtures!

So Slim! So Light! Enough for Softies and plenty for Mantis Shrimp!

EDIT: OHHHHHHHHH I think you mean those LED rigid lights that slot into one another ?

#1 These LED fixtures are easily twice as bright.
#2 These LED fixtures are just that FIXTURES (would have to DIY something for the rigid LED lights.
#3 Considering the amount of them I'd NEED it would of ended up a lot more expensive.
#4 NO blue/actinic lighting...
#5 DOZENS of switches to turn them all on.
#6 It likely would of turned out quite ugly like if you managed to see it, whilst these fixtures are really good looking and set to go!....

Last edited by Kharn; 02/24/2012 at 04:12 PM.
Kharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 04:13 PM   #34
Jacwil
Registered Member

I hear ya and they look decent and they offer a nice clean look-I just think for your application there's a much cheaper, just as much light option for ya...but I digress...you've got them and I'm not trying to burst your bubble lol.

-Justin
Unread 02/24/2012, 04:17 PM   #35
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nikon View Post
LOL...

All I have to say is...

Unread 02/24/2012, 04:19 PM   #36
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
I hear ya and they look decent and they offer a nice clean look-I just think for your application there's a much cheaper, just as much light option for ya...but I digress...you've got them and I'm not trying to burst your bubble lol.

Loved to of heard about it prior too buying them as I had kept trying to find out from others, however the biggest concern was wanting to keep softies and perhaps some really hardy LPS WITH the mantis shrimp but at the same time not wanting to over do it and make the mantis shrimps reclusive/nocturnal/develop shell rot.

Those light strips that slotted together that I spoke of a while back would NOT allow me to keep such coral.

What else DID you have in mind anyway you got a link to something I am really in love with LEDs and won't have anything else!?!

Unread 02/24/2012, 04:21 PM   #37
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:

Loved to of heard about it prior too buying them as I had kept trying to find out from others, however the biggest concern was wanting to keep softies and perhaps some really hardy LPS WITH the mantis shrimp but at the same time not wanting to over do it and make the mantis shrimps reclusive/nocturnal/develop shell rot.

Those light strips that slotted together that I spoke of a while back would NOT allow me to keep such coral.

What else DID you have in mind anyway you got a link to something I am really in love with LEDs and won't have anything else!?!

Unread 02/24/2012, 04:21 PM   #38
Kharn
MANTISMAN

sigh at double posts -_-

Unread 02/25/2012, 08:30 AM   #39
Jacwil
Registered Member

S'all good! I figure you would only want some corals in several of the tanks so maybe you could do a combo...some tanks with your stronger led fixtures and several with the significantly cheaper, linkable strips...just an idea.

-Justin
Unread 02/25/2012, 08:48 AM   #40
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
S'all good! I figure you would only want some corals in several of the tanks so maybe you could do a combo...some tanks with your stronger led fixtures and several with the significantly cheaper, linkable strips...just an idea.
Ah well I like the current Idea more anyway =) if I wanted to I could EASILY double up on the fixtures above each tank and go with 2 above each tank. Giving double the wattage I said previously giving the lowest tank wattage 2.2watts / gal and the max 6watts / gal (although I prolly wouldn't double up above the spearers tanks which is where the 6watts / gal is).

There so thin and small fixtures that 2 of them is basically the size of 1 standard dual T5 fixture.

Unread 02/25/2012, 08:49 AM   #41
Jacwil
Registered Member

That's cool Kharn...I'm eager to see it all unfold!

-Justin
Unread 02/25/2012, 08:52 AM   #42
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
That's cool Kharn...I'm eager to see it all unfold!

Bout to do another post on lighting

Unread 02/25/2012, 08:57 AM   #43
Kharn
MANTISMAN

LIGHTING

This evening I decided to play the role of the giddy little kid where by I opened up all my light boxes and tested them all out.

THE FACE OF GOD - all 8 lights on with both white & blue on

Blue ON only

White ON only

Blue & White On

More to come as it happens!

Unread 02/25/2012, 09:15 AM   #44
Kharn
MANTISMAN

For those of you curious about the stands, because I am making them myself I do not want to start making them until the tanks are done mostly because the stands themselves are goign to be quite tight in the space provided which will essentially make the project all that neater but I still need to be very accurate and considering the job I did with the DIY Sump stand I made through welding...I'm more then confident it will all slot together perfectly!

To increase the overall neatness of the stands I plan on encasing the steel framework in wood/MDF board/SOME board (for the sides and back) then there will be wood going over the frames outing along with wooden vertical hoods too hide the lights and the gaps between each tank on the stand which are essentially my access points into the tanks to feed and do maintenance.

It's going to look much like your typical LFS stocking tanks, besides the abnormally thin spearers tanks which in effect will be magnificent displays themselves just because of the nature of the tank!

Here is a pic of the stands A,B & C layout left to right, the brown represents where wood/wood board will be whilst the blue is the tanks, note the Brown rectangles above each tank are swinging/flapping hoods where all I need to do is lift it then pin it, giving me access to the tank that the specific hood is for. Obviously the tanks in the pics aren't detailed and won't be holding that much water specially stand C tanks.

Unread 02/26/2012, 02:27 PM   #45
lizardfishman
Registered Member

This is one of the most interesting build threads I've seen. Can't wait to see what it looks like finished.

Current Tank Info: 55gal SW/ 20gal SW
lizardfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2012, 01:58 AM   #46
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardfishman View Post
This is one of the most interesting build threads I've seen. Can't wait to see what it looks like finished.
Thanks for stopping in to browse! I don't really consider it that huge of a project or albeit that different from a regular single tank, which is the way I kind of like it, nice simple & direct! As far as interesting builds.....I seen a thread in a dif forum where a bloke turned his backyard into an aquarium and his basement was the viewing room just like a public aquarium!

THAT is amazing and I would LOVE to turn my entire backyard into a mantis eutopia...it's not like I haven't considered it....perhaps in the future

Unread 02/27/2012, 07:05 PM   #47
Kharn
MANTISMAN

DELAYS...

Nothing ever goes to plan and the larger the project(s) the more likely things will go wrong...Although I was informed awhile back that the overall process of the tanks manufacturing would only take a week (two tops) I have just been made aware that the tanks will not be ready until the earliest of "End March"....

This also means I cannot start the stands until "End March" since the stands are going to be quite "snug" I need the tanks themselves before I start the stands...I'd hate to start the stands now have them painted and finished only to find out that the tanks won't fit or sit properly...and when there is around 75mtrs of steel needed for all three stands I can't just leave it laying around like I can with my lights and canister filters...

Sorry about this delay...

Unread 02/27/2012, 07:19 PM   #48
Kharn
MANTISMAN

IDEAS

One of the best parts if not the sole best part about these systems is there relatively simple design and operation essentially I like to think of it as idiot proof... Because each stand is by itself and a 'stand-alone-system' not being connected to the grand size of it all, it makes for things to be very mobile by this I mean while I have designated space for these 3 stands in this project, the room itself has the potential to hold more stands which in turn hold more tanks and most importantly more stomatopods

I can essentially double or even triple up on my current design down the track, creating a second & third STAND A, B & C allowing me to hold a max total of 32! (second set of stands) or 48! (second & third set of stands) stomatopods from the smallest smashers to the largest spearers!

Thats a lot of lights and FX5's but rite now It's just the current 3 stands.

Unread 03/08/2012, 07:52 AM   #49
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

Bump.

Hey where are you mounting the beer kegerator? I am not seeing this in your plans and I looked!

Unread 03/08/2012, 10:38 AM   #50
Peter T
Gallantly Forward

Man your lighting looks bright! I keep 250w MH on the top of my 40b and it looks nowhere as bright as your pics. Seems someone is getting the reef bug again

Current Tank Info: 24g Nano reef tank, 40b reef tank. Both fully stocked reef tank housing stomatopods (mantis shrimp)
Peter T is offline   Reply With Quote