Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/02/2012, 01:03 AM   #101
rodneyri
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Come on people's. The GHL Mitras club thread needs more photos of your corals and shots of the light over your tanks. So snap some photos and post them here.
exactly, its boring posting alone

Unread 11/02/2012, 06:24 PM   #102
ericung
Registered Member

finally recieved the light,

1)the hanging kit not so well designed, the wire is too thin, too close together, and only one point of linkage at each side, howere the power cable is too thick and stiff, all these making it difficult to hang it in the balanced way

2)the manual illumination mode could not be preset like AI(it is for diagnostic purposes only according to manual, pretty like a doctor says I can make a diagnosis on you but I could not treat you), that means at the middle of the night if one wants to check something out and "turn on" the light, one has to press a lot of buttons before the mitras is properly light up

3)whenever there is a change in illumination points, say from 17K to 12K etc, during the transitional period, the colour temperature will become very very yellow, unacceptably yellow, very unnatural, it seems at the exact preset time, the light is really at 17K and 12K, but inbetween, the light tends to turn yellow, not all the bulbs change intensity in the synchronized way

4)the USB mini port is located at the bottom of the light, facing the tank surface, whenever you have to insert the USB cable, you have to flip open a little black colour cover, but the site of insertion is partially covered by the bottom glass, so you have to insert it slightly with an angle and use certain level of violence, the worst thing is in the manual, there is warning said if you drop the USB cable into the water, don't use it, it will cause damage..........................all these really unpleasant to me

I love my aqua hobby but I don't like playing with computer, hopefully there will be some usable default settings provided from GHL or from other fellows, thank you for reading

ericung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2012, 06:38 PM   #103
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Just to give some feedback to assist and reasure you personally.

1) The hanging kit is designed to be unobtrusive, in other words it blends in instead of having a thick cable that stands out, the distance is governed by the length of the fixture and the cable coming out the top stops sideways movement pull so each fixture lines equally.

2), 3) The software is the first very early release I have here the next one up on Beta test and all your wishes have been answered in one package, you should have access to this later next week.

4) The USB should only be connected when programming, there is a wireless module coming also. The protective strip is to stop salt creep getting into it, and the cover has slight movement in it so you can get the USB cable in without any force. Of course with any electrical cable if you drop it in the water, no dont use it, this goes with anything electrical.

I really appreciate your feedback it is great to have such unbiased views, and I hope my insight helps and reasures especially in regards to the software.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2012, 07:17 PM   #104
Haxer
Registered Member

Any word on a rail kit? Still trying to figure out how I want to mount my three units...
Also like some of the Radion users are doing... I am going to try using a wireless "dongle" to have the lights "hooked" up for programing.

A bit of feedback on the units, I dont know if it is just my units or if they are designed this way, but the metal grill that covers the heat-sinks on both sides of the top "jingles" around as you move the unit. When I first received my units I thought that something was broken and moving around inside them. First class build quality otherwise, just this nagging detail for me...

Last edited by Haxer; 11/02/2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling...
Haxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2012, 07:32 PM   #105
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

Do the Mitras offer software to program them from a Mac computer?

xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2012, 07:41 PM   #106
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

For all announcements including new software releases keep track at www.aquariumcomputer.com and click on forum then scrol down to the English section.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Unread 11/02/2012, 07:43 PM   #107
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Do the Mitras offer software to program them from a Mac computer?
Through VM yes but not native.

Unread 11/02/2012, 07:54 PM   #108
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQD_ottawa View Post
Through VM yes but not native.
That's too bad.

One of the only reasons why I don't own a GHL Profilux.

Maybe one day programmers will realize how many Mac users are out there compared to PC. Everyone I know has a Mac now.

xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2012, 08:23 PM   #109
TheReefKeeper
Aquaholic

+1^^ Couldn't agree more!!!
As advanced as they are IMO they are a bit behind in this aspect the day they have the support is the day I become a loyal customer and purchase every piece they make.

TheReefKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2012, 08:56 PM   #110
BigAl2007
Registered Member

Hopefully the new GHL iOS app will be released soon which should help fill the gap for iOS users because there are a lot of MAC/iOS users and even more potential iOS users out there.

BigAl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2012, 09:37 PM   #111
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
Just to give some feedback to assist and reasure you personally.

1) The hanging kit is designed to be unobtrusive, in other words it blends in instead of having a thick cable that stands out, the distance is governed by the length of the fixture and the cable coming out the top stops sideways movement pull so each fixture lines equally.

Yes I agree. I think the hanging kit is great and very functional for a single unit. If I had multiple units I would want a rail system.

2), 3) The software is the first very early release I have here the next one up on Beta test and all your wishes have been answered in one package, you should have access to this later next week.

I think GHL should have put more time into the software. Some very basic but necessary function were missing and the program still has a lot of bugs.

4) The USB should only be connected when programming, there is a wireless module coming also. The protective strip is to stop salt creep getting into it, and the cover has slight movement in it so you can get the USB cable in without any force. Of course with any electrical cable if you drop it in the water, no dont use it, this goes with anything electrical.

Yes a wireless connection would have been great on release too. the position of the USB port is questionable. though I do not have any trouble connecting it. but I have nearly dropped it in the water.

I really appreciate your feedback it is great to have such unbiased views, and I hope my insight helps and reasures especially in regards to the software.

Overall I think the lights are great and once the minor complaints are fixed, it will be a great bit of kit. I do feel GHL should have had these sorted before lease but in their defence, they have been quick to fix the bugs in the software.

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2012, 11:33 AM   #112
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

The software was always at release going to be an early version. But hold on for V1.07 its awesome Playing with it right now! I am not sure when this will release as GHL as always will want it to be perfect first. I cant find a bug or fault however in what I am playng with.

Basic mode added! select a default colour temp - select time to start event - select % of dimming at time of event press OK - start over

I now have mine as follows

6am - 0% 14k
8am - 10% 14k
12pm - 75% 14k
5pm - 50% - 14k
8pm - 10% - HV only
12am - 0% HV only.

You can now test the light schedule without having to transmit first.

There is an easy mode for making your own preset colour temp and adding it to the preselects making it easy to copy home grown colour temps to another schedule.

If anyone wants help with the rail system please email me at sales@aqua-digital.com

Last edited by AQD_ottawa; 11/03/2012 at 11:44 AM.
Unread 11/03/2012, 05:14 PM   #113
ericung
Registered Member

So the ver 1.07 could finally allows user to select K and output percentage, that will be very nice. In fact, it is only a very basic function IMO.

Unread 11/03/2012, 05:30 PM   #114
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

The previous version can also. All the same functions are there, just the layout is more intuitive for everyone to feel the ease of use.

Unread 11/03/2012, 09:32 PM   #115
ericung
Registered Member

Not really, the light will turn ridiculously yellow or red whenever there is a change in K in current version,it is due to the M shaped red, hyper red,and others colour LED output with time throughtout the day, I have to manually tune them down

Unread 11/04/2012, 03:18 AM   #116
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericung View Post
Not really, the light will turn ridiculously yellow or red whenever there is a change in K in current version,it is due to the M shaped red, hyper red,and others colour LED output with time throughtout the day, I have to manually tune them down
This doesn't sound good. Anyone else having such issues when the light is changing the K spectrum?

I am sure there are many others like myself who are keeping an eye on this thread in order to decided whether to get the Mitras of another companies LED.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2012, 07:07 AM   #117
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

The whole purpose of having control over the 9 channels IS so you can play with the output if it does not suit your eye or needs. This is one of the reasons people buy LED systems so they can dictate their own outputs.

In simple terms in nature if you change the Lumens the K will also change. Just look at the daylight hours, sunrise and sunset is considered more yellow than midday which is more blue white. But GHL understand clients want as best as possible a linear K output to the Lumens even though this is not natural.

However With the latest software the defaults do work to keep the K stable to the brightness for those not wanting to access all the features and capabilities of the lamp. But the whole purpose of having 9 channel control is so you can do whatever you wish with the lamp. Plug and play is nice but does not suit everyone, however the NEW software goes a long way to meet an even balance. This is one feature most LED units typically share.

quick google search -
Colour temperature ('K') vs brightness...It is a common misconception that higher colour temperatures (K’s) produce brighter lights. This is not true. The colour temperature only determines the colour but not the brightness of the light. The Colour Temperature is simply a scale represented by the Kelvin Temperature Chart (hence the abbreviation “K” or “K’s”) as decpited above that measures the colour of the light output. Typically, the higher the colour temperature, the closer you get to achieving bluish to purplish light colours."

Good info here
http://autolumination.com/colors.htm

http://priorityenergyandlighting.wor...vin-vs-lumens/

I note a few people are basing eveything on the prelimanary software that was released with the lamp. As I said above the new version is being Beta tested right now where pretty much what everyone has concerns about is addressed. I will ask GHL on Monday if I can send the Beta version to the few concerned contributors here.

As side note also, every single LED system I have played with you get a different colour temp depending on the brightness.

Last edited by AQD_ottawa; 11/04/2012 at 07:32 AM.
Unread 11/04/2012, 07:27 AM   #118
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
The whole purpose of having control over the 9 channels IS so you can play with the output if it does not suit your eye or needs. This is one of the reasons people buy LED systems so they can dictate their own outputs.

quick google search -
Colour temperature ('K') vs brightness...It is a common misconception that higher colour temperatures (K’s) produce brighter lights. This is not true. The colour temperature only determines the colour but not the brightness of the light. The Colour Temperature is simply a scale represented by the Kelvin Temperature Chart (hence the abbreviation “K” or “K’s”) as decpited above that measures the colour of the light output. Typically, the higher the colour temperature, the closer you get to achieving bluish to purplish light colours."

However With the latest software the defaults do work to keep the K stable to the brightness. But in nature from the research I have done when you increase the Lumens the K will change its not a linear relaionship so the software delveopers have to falsify this in the software for those that dont ant to play with the lamps full abilities.

Every single LED system I have played with you get a different colour temp depending on the brightness.

Good info here
http://autolumination.com/colors.htm
Can you please answer the following for me, which I think will help me determine if I am to go with this unit:

1. Say I want to start at 9am with 5% with hyperviolet. All other LEDs OFF.

2. At 11am I want the hyperviolet at 100% and Royal Blue at 25% and Blues at 25%. All other LED's OFF.

3. at 1pm I want HyperViolet, Royal Blue and Blue at 100% with Cool White and Neutral at 25%. All other LEDs OFF.

4. At 3pm I want Hyperviolet, Royal Blue, Blue, Cool White and Neutral White at 100%, with Green, Reds and Yellow at 25%.

5. At 5pm, I want HyperViolet, Royal Blue and Blue at 100% with Cool White and Neutral at 25%. All other LEDs OFF.

6. At 7pm I want I want the hyperviolet at 100% and Royal Blue at 25% and Blues at 25%. All other LED's OFF.

7. At 8pm I want the hyperviolet at 100% and Royal Blue at 25% and Blues at 25%. All other LED's OFF.

8. at 9pm I want 5% with hyperviolet. All other LEDs OFF.

9. At 11pm I want the hyperviolets now to turn off.

Basically, I want FULL control over ALL 9 channels with illumination of the LED's of the respective channels to be at the percentages/intensity at the time periods I specify. I am thinking the unit will increase the power to each channel slowly to be at the intensity from one set point to another.

ie take points 1+2: At 9am the unit starts with the Hyperviolets at 5%. from there on, by the time it gets to 11am, I expect the unit to have increased the hyperviolets to 100%, and the RB + Blue from 0% to 25% by 11am.

Is that possible?

Unread 11/04/2012, 07:33 AM   #119
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Yes if this is what you require.

Yes you have full control over all 9 channels.

Unread 11/04/2012, 07:53 AM   #120
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Yes if this is what you require.

Yes you have full control over all 9 channels.
Great, many thanks for the quick answer.

I know Steve at ReefDreams is the UK distributor, but I am located in London, and Steve is too far away from me. I will have to go on a hunt to find a UK retailer for these lights in the London area; as I want to pickup the unit rather than purchase through online/mail order.

Unread 11/04/2012, 02:25 PM   #121
rodneyri
Registered Member

I don't have the problem with the light being yellow as it ramps up. I've done like what you want to do sahin and set specific colours at specific times

Unread 11/04/2012, 04:22 PM   #122
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyri View Post
I don't have the problem with the light being yellow as it ramps up. I've done like what you want to do sahin and set specific colours at specific times
Many thanks for confirming that mate.

It sounds like Eric might have an issue with his unit or maybe a firmware fault.

Unread 11/04/2012, 08:25 PM   #123
chiefzod
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyri View Post
No problems with any of mine running my own lighting project either. You do have to remember to work the check points correctly though so that things gradually change etc.

Also I'm quite happy with the features of the software and know that more will come a lot as light develops.

As far as the USB goes in have had no problem with salt splashing my lights and really like the cover. I have had rations before and hated the way they had the little cover. But of course when the PAB module comes out I will be getting thatso its all done through the P3

chiefzod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2012, 01:23 AM   #124
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

I've been playing around with different K temperatures and the transitions from one set point to another shows no yellow or red during the change.

I'm really enjoying this light and still in shock at how such a small unit can cover my tank without any trouble. Pictures will be up soon.

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
ReefRockerLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2012, 02:21 AM   #125
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRockerLive View Post
I've been playing around with different K temperatures and the transitions from one set point to another shows no yellow or red during the change.

I'm really enjoying this light and still in shock at how such a small unit can cover my tank without any trouble. Pictures will be up soon.
Thanks to everyone. I am looking forward to more photos and videos if possible too.

I think GHL have a brilliantly designed unit here. When you consider the coverage by one unit; it is far better than a Radion.

So come on people, post up your photos and videos to inspire others to purchase these lights.

More purchases means better things to come from GHL in the future. I am hoping they will be releasing custom "pucks" etc in the future to really fine tune the spectrum. - Not that I see any issues with it; but as always improvements can always be made.