Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: if you have kept a blue spot jawfish how long did it survive
3 months or less 21 31.82%
3 to 9 months 15 22.73%
9 months to 2 years 16 24.24%
2 years + 17 25.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2017, 08:36 AM   #451
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitodog View Post
Please accept my sympathy regarding Maddy. I had to put my 11 year old Boxer down this past September. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
11 and a boxer, man this isn't getting easier. I'm cryin' ....at work.

I can't believe how much of a family member they become. It's depressing.

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2017, 01:11 PM   #452
Blue spot
Registered Member

So sorry to hear about puffer xoomer. I tell you one thing we did , which I am glad we did now . We took a lot of Maddy`s things, her bed , collar , favourite toy etc and sent them off to a company online , they sew it all up and you get back a blanket, cushion whatever you want realy. Sort of like a memory item . It's now an item we treasure in the house. You may think that's a bit weird , but ide never heard of it before and sometimes you are not sure what to do with everything around the house . You don't want to throw everything away but by the same token it's difficult looking at everything everywhere . Just putting it out their if it helps anyone.

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2017, 02:05 AM   #453
Blue spot
Registered Member

Can anyone help me with this question I have please ? Do squirrel fish eat other fish? Reason for asking I have lost a few of my smaller fish , no bodies , just gone . Looking in my tank the only fish of any size are a moorish , goldflake, 2 blue throats triggers , engineer goby and a white tail squirrel fish. Invert wise I have a pistol shrimp , a boxer shrimp and a very large sea anemone . I added 5 smaller fish 2 days ago 2 sand sifters, a spangled goby and 2 jewel blennies and this morning I have 2 jewel blennies left. They can't jump as the tank is covered. The only fish who showed any sign of aggression towards the new fish was the squirrel , hence the question .

Unread 08/09/2017, 06:45 AM   #454
eastlake
Registered Member

First I'm sorry for the losses of your new fish. I'd say that the squirrel fish is likely the culprit. If memory serves the vast majority of squirrel fish are predatory and I'm guessing that if it can fit in its mouth it'll sample it. Did the squirrel fish look festively plump or very pleased with itself the day after the smaller fish went missing?

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 09:25 AM   #455
Blue spot
Registered Member

Cheers east , I am thinking the same thing , not sure about happy but he had wide eyes . Lol. The only other potential is the engineer goby who can be pretty vicious if you enter his spot. Now comes the next thing , how the hell am I going to catch this fish. It is very... very fast ! I've got a trap so we will see how that goes.
Apart from the above things in the tank are looking pretty good. Corals are doing particularly well which I'm realy pleased with as I have never had much luck keeping coral, yet alone growing ! The other thing is I have had no return of the byropsis yet. I am truly over the moon about this.

Unread 08/15/2017, 03:10 PM   #456
Blue spot
Registered Member

Yet another confession on my part. I do not have a killer squirrel fish ��. All my fish are now accounted for. I think they must have just been settling in and hiding a little . In my defence it is a large tank

Unread 08/27/2017, 04:23 AM   #457
Blue spot
Registered Member

Another update . I have just seen 2 little pieces of byropsis growing back . Not messed around with it. It's inside a barnacle so I have took it out . Gonna post so I have a record of when this stuff is returning after treatment , I think it's always around 3 months ? Everything else in the tank is doing well , I did have a low salt level for some reason last week , which has never happened before and at the same time magnesium dropped to realy low levels , put all this back to nominal but no idea why it went so far out of whack in the first place .

Unread 08/27/2017, 09:59 AM   #458
dave.m
Registered Member

Why not remove the barnacle? It may be a source of pollution or the briopsis itself.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 12:30 PM   #459
Blue spot
Registered Member

Gone Dave . Gobys can find a new home . Good thinking .

Unread 11/05/2017, 04:34 PM   #460
Blue spot
Registered Member

It’s been a while since I have done an update . But for once everything has been uneventful ! I seem to have hit a fish tank sweet spot ! No problems , corals growing , fish healthy and breading. I don’t know what to do with myself I will get some photos so you can see what’s happening .

Unread 01/09/2018, 04:25 PM   #461
Blue spot
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I am so lazy on my updates lately but I’m still going strong on the tank. Byropsis , and yes I’m going to say this...... is history. The thrush treatment eventually did the trick. In the end I left it in for longer than 2 weeks (closer to 4). Before turning the skimmer back on and I have not seen any back at all. So this is fantastic news . Corals are all growing which I am also pleased about and nothing has died at all !! So at the moment everything is going well . I have no blue spot in the tank , but while I still have the squirrel Fish I am not going to attempt this yet. We also have a new puppy addition to the family so I’ll also post a few pictures of Lola . All good .

Unread 01/09/2018, 08:37 PM   #462
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

I just read your entire thread. All I can say is WOW!!! Your fortitude never wavered were many would have just gave up. It was sad to here about your aquarium losses as well the loss of your beloved, Maddy.

Getting to this point of your thread to find your steadfast determination has led to a calm and hopefully a chance to step back to enjoy the tranquility a marine aquarium can bring to the day. Many of us that have been in this hobby for a long time have experience and learned from those good and bad phases in the day and life of this hobby. Believe me, it gets better with age/experiance. "It is the Journey, Not the Arrival Matters" Thank you for the candid and forward thread to read.

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 02:59 PM   #463
Blue spot
Registered Member

Cheers dean. Hopefully if nothing else I have been honest nobody would admit to some of my failures. I am not flippant about killing things in the tank and I try realy hard to keep things alive and healthy . but the one thing I am learning is intervention is not always the best cure and sometimes trying to get perfection can cause more problems at the detriment of the creatures in the tank. A prime example of this was my ph 8.2 obsession.... i’m over it now thank goodness . it’s 7.90 and that’s that

Unread 01/12/2018, 02:31 PM   #464
Blue spot
Registered Member

pictures

Unread 01/12/2018, 02:32 PM   #465
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 01/12/2018, 02:33 PM   #466
Blue spot
Registered Member

Last edited by Blue spot; 01/20/2018 at 05:54 PM.
Unread 01/12/2018, 02:34 PM   #467
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 01/12/2018, 02:36 PM   #468
Blue spot
Registered Member

i know the last picture is blurry , but its not very often i actually capture the colours of the kaleidos wrasse

Unread 01/12/2018, 02:36 PM   #469
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 01/12/2018, 02:38 PM   #470
Blue spot
Registered Member

and this is Lola Although not technically a fish and currently super cute, I am suspicious that she may be some type of hairy piranha !

Unread 01/12/2018, 03:39 PM   #471
Blue spot
Registered Member

Can you see the pictures ? When I click they have gone ?? If you want to see any of the pictures I have made albums , but I don’t know how to link them . Maybe you can find them by clicking on my name if you want to see them.

Unread 01/12/2018, 06:36 PM   #472
Dean Ladd
Registered Member

I can see all pictures, they look great.

Awww, this picture is like, "Seriously, I have to eat out of this bloody cat fish bowl."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue spot View Post

Current Tank Info: 135 gal reef (retired 04/2018 after 18 years) Upgrade to 215 gal DT mostly soft and lps
Dean Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 11:20 AM   #473
Blue spot
Registered Member

This week I added a larger gyre and the control box to my tank . Found it a little complicated to program so I just set it to one of the presets (after you tubing to find out how to do this) I like tech but for some reason I found this complicated .... Anyway ... what a difference it has made , I now have this lovely flow going on in my tank that changes throughout the day , somthing I have never been able to achieve by myself. As an added bonus (and I promise I am not obsessed about this ) but my ph has gone up to a stable 8.1 in the day 8 on a night . Also my fish seem to be loving it ! More of them are out and about , even the pipe fish are more adventurous than normal. Great product , bit wierd to program .

Unread 03/04/2018, 06:10 PM   #474
Blue spot
Registered Member

Tanks all going good. No issues, everything growing , I have had a jumper which I’m a bit annoyed at myself about , left a 3 inch gap on my net and my yellow bar hogfish jumped . Had this fish for ages and found it all dried out . It was looking realy good aswell , interesting fish to watch with lovely colours .
Done some maintenance aswell , soaked everything in vinegar to remove any Coraline build up, worked great ��

Unread 11/09/2018, 02:10 PM   #475
Blue spot
Registered Member

Well it’s been a serious age since I have wrote on here . I do still have a tank it is doing realy well, well for me it’s doing well. Nothing dead . Norm nem split into three , gone a bit crazy on mushrooms for some reason , but my sps is doing seriously well . I will get some pics for you . , still running triton , the only real change is I have 2 of the large gyres now

Tags
8ft, blue spot, new tank, reef