Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2017, 07:13 AM   #76
Goubli
Registered Member

I didn't repaint, it's just the lighting in the picture.

Goubli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 10:30 AM   #77
TangingOut
Registered Member

Are you staying bare bottom?

TangingOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 03:18 PM   #78
Goubli
Registered Member

I think I am going to stick with bare bottom for now. I've never tried it before, but I think that I'm going to get so much flow in the tank, and I want to minimize any potential nutrient sinks. In other words, I feel like it provides more margin of safety for sps.

I could be wrong, but I know I probably wouldn't maintain the sand as well as I'd need to.

Unread 07/21/2017, 08:38 PM   #79
Goubli
Registered Member

So, it's been a while since I've updated. I've had some nutrient issues leading to algae frustrations. My best guess is that my rock is still leaching some out.

I did a 3.5 day blackout and got rid of a lot of it and have since added a GFO reactor. I think I got an outbreak of amylodinium which took out my powder brown, Midas blenny and allen's damsel.

I also am tired of the bare bottom look. I think that the organisms in the sand are too beneficial to leave out. My plan is to get everything dialed in and get some actual SPS rolling by September.

Unread 07/22/2017, 02:25 AM   #80
2una
Registered Member

Did a catch up read of your thread,the paint job looks great.
I had my maxspect gyre dry side magnet over in the back compartment for 6 month's plus & there was no sign of anything bad happening,i ended up moving it out of there tho as my rockwork is too high & it was starting to get too close to direct flow onto sps.

Screentop - this was how i did mine,it slides back/fwd with the perspex in the old t5 rail slot
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4197/3...4739712b_b.jpg

2una is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 07:51 PM   #81
fabulousfavia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goubli View Post
Thanks! The tang is constantly nipping on algae which is nice. I think I may need to set up a GFO reactor even though I was really hoping not to.

I also may start my two part dosing for alk stability and helping get some coralline going.

If you switch to a dual carbon and GFO reactor you will have pristine water. It is about $50 on BRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon rimless saltwater reef tank and many more
fabulousfavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 11:12 PM   #82
Goubli
Registered Member

So I've decided to continue on with my goal of running SPS.
I've realized I Need to change some things around on my setup. Honestly, I kind of knew from the beginning that the current setup was going to be a challenge, and now I'm gonna bite the bullet and get it done how it needs to be done for my lifestyle.

I need more automated features and am going to switch over to Triton method to minimize water changes. It's just too inconvenient and a massive hassle to carry out on a consistent basis. I tried to avoid a chiller, but now I'm gonna get one.

I hate the design of the Red Sea sump, so I'm changing it too. I originally wanted export via macroalgae/chaeto, but my setup isn't cutting the mustard. My return pump is finally getting installed and upgraded to the L1. Hopefully, most of this will be getting installed on Friday. I'm currently doing another 2-3 day blackout, but this time I have gfo and chaeto running.

Also, I'm gonna add live sand (tonga miniflakes) that I've had since April. I dislike bare bottom, but I lived w it for months. Never again. Haha!

I will get and post some before and after pics as soon as it's completed.

Unread 07/26/2017, 09:24 AM   #83
vitodog
Registered Member

I do not like to do water changes either. So, I purchased the Genesis automatic water change system. I love it. You might want to look into this system as an alternative to the Triton Method. I'm not knocking the Triton Method, but if your only reason for trying it is to "minimize" your water changes and "It's just too inconvenient" and you did say you wanted more "automated features" do yourself a favor and check out an automatic water change system. I like the Genesis but there are many really good products out there that work well. That said, I really like how you put your build together.

Unread 07/26/2017, 10:44 AM   #84
Nobbygas
Registered Member

I'm another one who has gone Triton to stop the water changes. Even with an 'automatic water change system' I would still have to lug the water from my cellar to the living room, and then lug the old water out to the garden. Then there is the time taken.
Whether it's Triton or ATI Essentials, it doesn't really matter. Surely water changes are 'old school' now? Don't get me wrong. I am not criticising those that do water changes as there are a thousand and one ways to run a tank.
Plus, I read time and time again that the most important thing for any tank is stability, yet with every water change you run the risk of upsetting that sacred stability.
Just my thoughts.

Nobbygas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 09:41 PM   #85
Goubli
Registered Member

I love the idea of auto water changes, but I'm still stuck with the hassle of mixing up the saltwater in these stupid brute garbage cans that take up a lot of real estate in the laundry room. As one can imagine, the wife isn't too pleased but she has been tolerant.

I have to lug the stuff way across the house (carpet) which means I have to pump it out of the can into containers etc. Whatever--this will just turn into a &^%ch fest if I go through it all. I honestly gave it an effort but work is a lot of hours and stress and I just really don't want to forego all my other interests just to become a bit of a slave to this tank. This is especially true since I was just dipping my feet back into the hobby to see how I liked it.

Now, in a future setup where I can really customize it how I think it needs to be in order to allow a lot of these tasks to be maintained easier I will do them. At this point, I'm just trying to at least say I bought and did a proper set up (at least more in line with my original plan) to see if I enjoy and how to grow an SPS system. I am hoping this method will work.

I appreciate all the people who've responded in this thread and hope to keep it going with more updates of the positive sort.

For now I will post some pics of the current under the stand setup and configuration. I hope to update by the end of weekend. Stay tuned and happy reefing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 07/26/2017, 09:42 PM   #86
Goubli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goubli View Post
I love the idea of auto water changes, but I'm still stuck with the hassle of mixing up the saltwater in these stupid brute garbage cans that take up a lot of real estate in the laundry room. As one can imagine, the wife isn't too pleased but she has been tolerant.

I have to lug the stuff way across the house (carpet) which means I have to pump it out of the can into containers etc. Whatever--this will just turn into a &^%ch fest if I go through it all. I honestly gave it an effort but work is a lot of hours and stress and I just really don't want to forego all my other interests just to become a bit of a slave to this tank. This is especially true since I was just dipping my feet back into the hobby to see how I liked it.

Now, in a future setup where I can really customize it how I think it needs to be in order to allow a lot of these tasks to be maintained easier I will do them. At this point, I'm just trying to at least say I bought and did a proper set up (at least more in line with my original plan) to see if I enjoy and how to grow an SPS system. I am hoping this method will work.

I appreciate all the people who've responded in this thread and hope to keep it going with more updates of the positive sort.

For now I will post some pics of the current under the stand setup and configuration. I hope to update by the end of weekend. Stay tuned and happy reefing!

Unread 07/27/2017, 10:18 AM   #87
Goubli
Registered Member

Apologies for the quoted double post with large pics. Tapatalk is not my strong suit.
Mods please delete the first post with 3 pics if you want.

Thanks.

Unread 08/15/2017, 06:58 AM   #88
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Great looking build. Love the color of your stand. They did a great job.

Zoahoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 06:30 PM   #89
Goubli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoahoarder View Post
Great looking build. Love the color of your stand. They did a great job.

Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it. I must say that I have already learned quite a bit from my re-entry to the hobby.

I had a new sump installed with the goal of doing triton style, but the refugium section is too small for tank volume etc... blah blah blah.

To make a very long story short-I custom designed my own sump and am going to run an algae reactor instead for nutrient export. I'm waiting for the new Pax Bellum reactor to be shipped mid September. I've got a crew coming in this Friday the 18th to sadly redo all my plumbing etc. I plan on running my GFO reactor until the algae reactor is installed.

I really liked the blue and white scheme, but the sump got made accidentally before my colors were confirmed so I just bought it since the guy gave me a great deal. So the new scheme will be black w white. It should still look clean. The area where all the unions are pictured is where the algae reactor will go exterior to the sump.

At any rate, I've added some sand which really improved the look to my eye.

Here's a couple pics to keep the thread moving.

PS--Someone gave me my first ever SPS! It's a very small montipora digi frag. It's been in the system for at least 2 weeks and polyps do open.

Unread 09/20/2017, 10:07 AM   #90
Goubli
Registered Member

Ok, so I apologize for the gap in updating. It's been a bit of a process to get this setup rocking how I'd like it. As of now I haven't ordered my Pax Bellum reactor as my GFO reactor is doing a good job and I want to dial in my 2 part prior to adding more equipment. The custom sump got installed, but I need to get some paint and clean up the glue marks.

I have to give azsoccerpop a huge thank you for helping me get the Apex DOS/DDR set up and working properly. My alk had been pretty consistent 7.5-8 and Ca around 410-425. After three days of dosing the levels were 8.5 and 450, so I've backed off the dosage by 15mL each/day. I want to be between 7-8.5 and Ca around 425-440.

Here's the sump

Here's my improved but still not ideal other door of my cabinet

Unread 09/20/2017, 10:19 AM   #91
Goubli
Registered Member

I've had some issues with my lighting that I got sorted last night, but I still have a weird issue with two of my LEDs cutting off during the last 30-45 min of my day cycle. I may have to open a ticket with coral vue so I'll see what's up.

The big news is that I went to the local reef club meeting (FRAG) and got some great pieces at their auction. Earlier in the week I got a few pieces from Spongie placed in the tank. So........
Finally I have the reality of SPS in my aquarium! I'm hoping things keep steady and I can start seeing some growth. I'm pretty happy with the results so far as I see pretty solid polyp extension in a few of the pieces already. Right now, the pieces that are a little brown actually looked that way when I first placed them into the aquarium. I still only have my flame hawkfish and will keep it that way for the next week or three to see how the sps is settling in.

So it's been 5 months, I almost had to quit and sell everything off, but now I'm glad I didn't as my goal of creating an sps reef is a reality! My mantra is patience, and I think from here out I may only get a couple more pieces but they will be pretty nice ones-most likely from Battlecorals.

For those who have continued to check in, I appreciate the looks and comments. Here's some pics as of this weekend for everyone's enjoyment.

Unread 09/20/2017, 10:43 AM   #92
Goubli
Registered Member

Unread 09/20/2017, 10:47 AM   #93
Goubli
Registered Member

Here's some close ups of these two killer milleporas I got at the auction!

Polyps were out and stayed out since placed into the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/21/2017, 01:05 PM   #94
TangingOut
Registered Member

Looking good Steve. That pink mille is such a nice piece. I was surprised to see basically a colony of something so nice at the auction and knew it was going to get plenty of bids. Happy for you that you won it. Looks like we're going to be on the same arc as far as SPS grow out. We'll need to do some trading in a few months. Glad you didn't quit.

TangingOut is offline   Reply With Quote