Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2017, 10:20 AM   #101
jml1149
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
This is what I use PTFE blue monster NSF food safe

You win. That is way more awesome.

Unread 03/17/2017, 10:20 AM   #102
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
I have used teflon tape since getting into the hobby and, although I dislike threaded fittings in general, haven't had any issues.
The makers of plastic fitting don't recommend tape because you run the risk of cracking the female fitting. Having said that, I also use tape exclusively; I'm just very careful to not overtighten the fittings. I have cracked a few over the years, but not many.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 10:24 AM   #103
jason2459
Registered Member

I've filled up my FMM ports. lol

These are awesome. Not really necessary but fun. And actually for an Apex Classic user that can't track watts can be very useful.

Say you want to shutdown an outlet if another piece of equipment it stopped. Like a skimmer and return pump, UV light and UV pump and return pump, ATS light and pump, etc etc

Sure you can say
If Outlet returnpump = off then off

But say the pump has something stuck in it or failed but the outlet is still on. Now your skimmers overflowing etc.

With the flow meter you can now add in

If Outlet returnpump = off then off
If ReturnFlow < 1000 Then Off

Or even cooler is if your skimmers pump is controllable

If ReturnFlow < 1000 Then ProfileSlowDown
If RerurnFlow < 900 Then ProfileOff
If ReturnFlow > 1050 Then ProfileFullspeed

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 11:42 AM   #104
jason2459
Registered Member

I'm bringing stuff online that I rarely if ever do just to play around with it. Like a GFO reactor as I've alwayd been curious about flow rate to get it barely tumbling and how its effected over time and a UV filter to play will.

For the GFO used a couple fittings to get to 1/2" murlock push fittings

And just like the 2" flow meter the 1/2" wasn't auto detected properly. The 2" was listed as a 1". Last night the 1/2" came up as a conductivity probe!

So, manually changed it

Came up fine after that

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 03/23/2017, 12:38 PM   #105
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Would have thought GFO reactor flow would fall below the measurement range for the flow sensors? I had the same issue with my CaRx: flow too slow

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 03/23/2017, 12:41 PM   #106
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Would have thought GFO reactor flow would fall below the measurement range for the flow sensors? I had the same issue with my CaRx: flow too slow
I've got about 1.5cups of GFO rumbling pretty good at about 25-30gph right now.

Unread 03/23/2017, 12:42 PM   #107
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Really, I go with much less flow - maybe that's why my GFO always ends up a brick

Unread 03/23/2017, 12:47 PM   #108
jason2459
Registered Member

lol yeah, I hate it when it binds up. That's what I'm going to be curious about see what happens. The flow for the 1/2 is right at the cusp of what I'm pushing through right now but seems to be good for lower then it's rating. I had it running in the 20's last night.

1/4" 3-12 gph

1/2" 30-250 gph

1" 150-1500 gph

2" 300-3000 gph

I'll have to slow it down and see how low does it go... how low does it go...

Unread 03/23/2017, 12:49 PM   #109
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Maybe, and I'm just speculating, accuracy declines above and below the range.

Unread 03/23/2017, 12:52 PM   #110
jason2459
Registered Member

Very likely.

Unread 03/23/2017, 01:44 PM   #111
elFloyd
Registered Member

Dang it...! One port short!!

Want to measure:
  • GFO (1/2")
  • Carbon (1/2")
  • UV (1")
  • Herbie Drain 1 (1")
  • Herbie Drain 2 (1")

Guess I'll sacrifice the Carbon flow. Thoughts?

Last edited by elFloyd; 03/23/2017 at 01:50 PM.
elFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 01:46 PM   #112
jason2459
Registered Member

Carbon should be less flow then the GFO so may not be a good option to monitor anyway.

Unread 03/23/2017, 01:51 PM   #113
elFloyd
Registered Member

Meant to say carbon!!

elFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 09:07 AM   #114
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Those of you with the 2" sensors, when you threaded the sensor into the union, did it thread all the way in, or was there ~1/8" left?

As I mentioned before I avoid threaded fittings whenever possible. I watched the install video, picked up some rectorseal 5 and used it per the instructions. At the time of installation I felt comfortable with the rectorseal - it allowed the threads to screw in smoothly. I feel like I used an appropriate amount - a little excess bead of the rectorseal came out on both the inside and outside of the fitting after being tightened. I only applied it to the first ~1" of threads on the male and female pieces, per the instructions. I screwed the sensor into the union on both ends as tight as I could by hand, without using a wrench. About 1/8" of male thread on the sensor remains outside the provided union. The quality of the sensor seems decent, but by no means bulltproof, and I was worried about cracking the sensor if I were to tighten further. It was several days between installation and when I got around to water testing the system.

All three of my sensors are drip leaking from the threaded connection between sensor and union. What did I do wrong? Should I have tightened more? Used more rectorseal along the entire length of the fitting? I know it's not "correct", but is there any reason I can't use silicone instead of rectorseal? Every dang time I use a threaded fitting it leaks unless I slather it with silicone.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 09:11 AM   #115
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Silicone is fine, I used to use it for most threaded fittings. Trouble is you have to let it cure. I used a lot of tape on these sensors to prevent them from dripping.

Unread 03/28/2017, 09:15 AM   #116
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by elFloyd View Post
Dang it...! One port short!!

Want to measure:
  • GFO (1/2")
  • Carbon (1/2")
  • UV (1")
  • Herbie Drain 1 (1")
  • Herbie Drain 2 (1")

Guess I'll sacrifice the Carbon flow. Thoughts?
I've decided to not bother with my reactors as it's easy enough to eyeball output from those (plus they run below the sensor range anyhow). I've no plans to buy a second FMM, so currently monitoring UV/Frag Tank and the main return, with plans to monitor both herbie siphons.

Unread 03/29/2017, 04:53 PM   #117
jason2459
Registered Member

Other issue with silicone is if you nudge the union either way (tighter or looser) could breakup the silicone. Happened to my mazzei venturi Jeff from MTC used silicone on. Undoing the union nudged the threading a small amount. Put the mazzei back on and it was leaking a bit.

Unread 04/04/2017, 01:02 PM   #118
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Recently had Jeff and Leo build me a larger ProCal main chamber. They like to use silicone on any fitting that threads into the acrylic cylinder, but tape/sealant is fine on any of the other connections.

Very happy with my FFM/flow sensors. Still haven't gotten around to installing the remaining two - haven't had the resolve yet to pull apart my siphon drains.

Unread 04/04/2017, 08:34 PM   #119
jason2459
Registered Member

I've had one issue with my FMM. It flat lines periodically. I do a firmware update on the FMM module and everything is fine again. At some point I need to create a ticket on it.

Unread 04/05/2017, 08:13 PM   #120
jason2459
Registered Member

Firmware updating stopped working and have had to unplug the aquabus and plug back in to get working a few times now. A ticket with Neptune has been opened.

Unread 04/12/2017, 09:46 AM   #121
jason2459
Registered Member

Looks like it was just a bad Aquabus cable. I swapped it out with a spare I have and hasn't flatlined since which was about a week ago. Neptune support is sending me another cable.

Unread 04/12/2017, 01:39 PM   #122
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks like it was just a bad Aquabus cable. I swapped it out with a spare I have and hasn't flatlined since which was about a week ago. Neptune support is sending me another cable.
Good to hear!

Unread 05/14/2017, 08:27 AM   #123
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

After a bit if time with the FFM/K I'm definitely in the thumbs up camp. Though the sensors aren't that restrictive to flow, they do present some friction so the advice to upsize is a good idea. This becomes a bit problematic with 1/2" lines so I'd really like to see a 3/4" sensor at some point. My FFM is now full, with 1/2" sensors on the line to my frag tank and CaRx circulation, and 1" on the main return and the siphon drain to my ATS. Will buy a second FFM at some point so I can run another sensor and a couple of leak sensors.

One thing I would like to see is the sensors shipped with both slip and NPT threaded external Union ends (similar to how true Union valves are sold). Doubt I'm unique in constantly futzing with my tanks plumbing

Unread 05/14/2017, 11:26 AM   #124
jason2459
Registered Member

FYI my flow meters started flatlining again but not as consistent. Neptune support says there's a firmware in beta to help that issue. I must not be the only one with the issue now.

Otherwise it's a small inconvenience to unplug and plug back in the aquabus cable and I really like the flow meters.

Unread 05/14/2017, 05:37 PM   #125
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
How do you get the high and low settings on the flow graphs?