Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Flems
Registered Member

Project Plywood - A Rimless Dream

So I happened to acquire a rather beaten down old tank (110g long) and it blew a panel on it's fill test.

My thoughts are I could build a new plywood bottom and back. I could salvage the remaining front and sides and have them cut down/polished etc.

Ideally I'd be left with a tank size of 60x18x16h. A three-sided rimless tank if you will.

My question is to how the glass should be bonded to the plywood bottom/backing. Can it be done as if it were all glass provided the plywood is epoxied and sealed correctly? Ideally I'd like to avoid having to brace the top.

Current Tank Info: Tankless
Flems is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2017, 03:59 PM   #2
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

In my opinion I wouldn't even try to repair or build it.

Start with a fresh plywood build, or just buy a new tank. To me, this kind of stuff just isn't worth the risk.

My .02 cents

Unread 07/22/2017, 09:55 PM   #3
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

I would use doubled up ply.. likely 3/4" and I would rabbit a 3/8" deep seat for the glass to sit in... you would essentially end up with a "trim" on the back verticals and the bottom of the tank, as the finished rabbit/dado would have to be about 1/2" from the edge of the panel...certainly have to epoxy the snot out of the ply though...i dont see why it wouldn't work... but I also don't see it in my house

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2017, 12:54 AM   #4
Flems
Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys. At this point I may build it as nano said but as a turtle or lizard tank instead. The tank search continues for now. I'll update soon enough either way 😎

Unread 07/23/2017, 06:26 AM   #5
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Having a frame to set the glass in is going to make a difference in the success of the tank. I like the idea of cutting a rabbet but since you'd be applying a thick layer of epoxy it'll be very hard to get that correct dimensionally. (if you cut the rabbet to size for the glass, it'll be too small once the epoxy is on, and it's hard to control the thickness and shape of the epoxy well enough to get an accurate dimension and shape to the rabbet). You'd probably be better off attaching a really thin face frame and then gluing the glass panel to the inside, as is typically done with a plywood tank. Assuming the glass was thick enough to be unbraced, you could leave off the top of the frame and end up with it looking like a rimless tank. If you were using glass on adjacent sides, there'd be no reason for the frame to extend up those seams either, so you'd basically just end up with a lip anywhere the glass/epoxy was going to meet.

If you do want to rabbet the plywood, you could cut it oversized into the plywood, apply the epoxy and allow it to fill the rabbet, then machine the epoxy itself to the desired dimension. You could end up with a very sleek joint this way but still have plenty of strength.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 09:24 AM   #6
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post

If you do want to rabbet the plywood, you could cut it oversized into the plywood, apply the epoxy and allow it to fill the rabbet, then machine the epoxy itself to the desired dimension. You could end up with a very sleek joint this way but still have plenty of strength.
This is exactly what I was thinking...

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 09:42 AM   #7
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
In my opinion I wouldn't even try to repair or build it.

Start with a fresh plywood build, or just buy a new tank. To me, this kind of stuff just isn't worth the risk.

My .02 cents
How is this different than what he is doing? He is just using the glass from the tank for panels in the new tank.

I say go for it. I'm really considering my next tank to be a plywood one, the challenge of building it would be fun. Final thought, I assume you will be completely disassembling the tank and redoing the silicone on the remaining glass panels?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 10:14 AM   #8
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
How is this different than what he is doing? He is just using the glass from the tank for panels in the new tank.

I say go for it. I'm really considering my next tank to be a plywood one, the challenge of building it would be fun. Final thought, I assume you will be completely disassembling the tank and redoing the silicone on the remaining glass panels?
By starting fresh and saving time by not taking apart a tank to salvage glass. Me personally, I'd have a fresh piece cut and ready to be picked up.

Work smart not hard...

Unread 07/25/2017, 12:07 PM   #9
sde1500
Registered Member

He's got three of what I assume to be good panes of glass. Wouldn't be that hard to clean them up. Not that hard, and whats smarter about spending more money so you don't have to clean up some silicone?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2017, 12:08 PM   #10
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde1500 View Post
He's got three of what I assume to be good panes of glass. Wouldn't be that hard to clean them up. Not that hard, and whats smarter about spending more money so you don't have to clean up some silicone?

The delicate time to take apart and not break. The time to clean it. The time to take it to the glass shop. The time you drive back to the glass shop to pick it up. Time is money to me.

To each their own...

Unread 07/27/2017, 10:54 AM   #11
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Thank goodness we all have different thresholds for the time vs money tradeoff. DIY projects almost never make sense if you get too far down the road of accounting for the cost of your own time.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 02:03 AM   #12
Flems
Registered Member

Unfortunately there is a scallop chip or two on the main panel and I'll be unable to have it hacked off. The glass is 1/2" so the glass gurus say I'd need around 6" for a clean break... And even that'd be a maybe.

I'll hold onto the thought for now. Best case: terrarium. Worst case: practice glass.

In the mean time, I've picked up a 55g for a sump build and I am looking at a nice 80g (40x24x19) as the display...

Not sure if it's tempered or not. I'd like to drill it, but I'll have to do the old polarized filter test first. The seller wants 200 loonies. Not sure I'll use the stand. I could but I'll have to remove the shelf and brace it somehow. The 55g wouldn't fit anyway, but at this point I'm just accumulating a couple contingency items.

It's not rimless, but my options are limited. Glad I got that time to spare

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by Flems; 07/28/2017 at 02:11 AM.