Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/26/2017, 12:56 AM   #1
miktrav
Registered Member

Apex - Any good?

I just bought a used apex unit and started wondering why so many of them were showing up for sale within a few months of purchase. I started researching online and began to find horror stories about people who either trusted the Apex to perform its specified functions and were sorely disappointed, people who bought accessories that failed within a month or two, and those who encountered problems with Neptune customer support. Is this unit really worth all the fuss? Should I have looked at an Apex competitor, saved myself some money, and gotten a brand new unit?

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon RR, LPS, Softies, ASM Skimmer, Mag 9 Return Pump
miktrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 01:40 AM   #2
Hollifields
HOG Owners Group

IMHO Apex is the best & worth every dine. If you plan on staying in the hobby and intend on keeping high-end livestock I highly suggest an Apex.
Personally I prefer to purchase long-term investments new rather than used. As far as the probes my originals purchased five years ago still work perfect.
The few problems I've encountered were solved quickly on the community forum or within 24 hours with a call to Neptune, their customer service is outstanding imo.
Most likely the reason you are seeing more used Apex FS is because of the new Apex released.
The " hate" post you mentioned about Apex products and Customer Service is news to me. There has always been more people to praise Apex then to slam.

Hollifields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 04:07 AM   #3
miktrav
Registered Member

The Apex unit I bought was the "new" Apex with at most a year of use based on the release date, but the user said it was only a few months old along with proof of purchase. I figured it was worth a shot. I had seen several of the new ones listed within hours of each other. and even more of the different model classics.

Unread 07/26/2017, 06:52 AM   #4
AdamNC
Registered Member

People are always dropping out of this hobby for one reason or another is one reason. Another is there are some out there that have to have the latest or want to try something new. Even with the problems you read about, for every 1 problem out there, there are a hundred positives. Neptune Apex has pretty much set the standard in the industry.

AdamNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 07:02 AM   #5
sde1500
Registered Member

More people go online to write bad reviews than good I feel. Also, as others stated, some people just get the bug for a hobby, go crazy all in on bells and whistles for it, then leave a few months later selling everything.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 07:11 AM   #6
MuShu
Registered Member

I think for some, the idea of automation is wonderful, but then they forget that even computers fail. You still need to check your system manually from time to time, you still need to have multiple backups so that there cannot be one point of catastrophic failure, and you need to check the programming and make updates as needed. This is not a set it and forget it hobby.

MuShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 07:13 AM   #7
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

New models come out, old models go for sale. I bought the new 2016, and sold my old Classic Lite

Unread 07/26/2017, 07:46 AM   #8
ktownhero
Registered Member

Apex is great, best thing I ever got for my tank. But, just like anything, you can misuse it and screw up. Just don't go in over your head and you're fine. I think a lot of people who try to do advanced programming but reay don't know what they are doing, and end up copying and pasting stuff online without really knowing what it's doing. Don't rely on any aspect of any controller that you don't 100% fully understand. But almost all major functions are pre-defined in Fusion, and those cover the majority of people. People also look for scapegoats when they fail and exit the hobby, so take any negativity about the Apex with a grain of salt. I find it incredibly well designed and reliable.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 08:45 AM   #9
miktrav
Registered Member

I am feeling much better about my purchase now.

Unread 07/26/2017, 09:43 AM   #10
Barro777
Registered Member

Yeah. It's good. Have had it for four years now - no regrets.

Barro777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 12:16 PM   #11
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

Yes, feel better. I've been running a classic for about 3 years and love it. I wouldn't consider setting up another tank without one.

Unread 07/26/2017, 01:53 PM   #12
thegrun
Registered Member

Maybe things are different where you live, but here is SoCal they do not show up for sale often and unless the seller is asking close to new Apex prices they sell quick. Personally I'll never have a tank without one again.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 02:00 PM   #13
miktrav
Registered Member

I have been seeing them here on reef central for sale board and on our local reef club for sale site. They do go quickly though.

Unread 07/27/2017, 11:33 AM   #14
DasCamel
Registered Member

Apex works great, using mine for years without issue.

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 07:38 PM   #15
highlite2nice
Registered Member

Apex is the best controller out, I would not run a system without a controller. The apex can be confusing with complex codes, there is a big learning curve with them, but you can set it do alot more things. if you want something a little easier I would go with a Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper. You probably see them for sale because people buy them the most

highlite2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 07:46 PM   #16
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

As noted, lots of short-timers in this hobby who have nether the temperament nor patience to be successful. I have read very few 'horror stories' attributable to Apex. Not that they cannot happen, but I'd suggest that far more disasters are averted than caused. I'd also suggest that user error/stupidity is often to blame. It's also important to recognize the limitations of any piece of tech and use it accordingly.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 09:09 PM   #17
DasCamel
Registered Member

Saved me quite a few times.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote