Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2019, 04:07 AM   #1
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Lighting a 72x36x25 reef for SPS

Hey guys I lighting a PENINSULA style sps reef tank that is 72x36x25. All of the Rock work is in the middle of course. The light I've chosen is a 8x80 watt giesemann mattrix 2. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2019, 08:45 AM   #2
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacktosterone View Post
Hey guys I lighting a PENINSULA style sps reef tank that is 72x36x25. All of the Rock work is in the middle of course. The light I've chosen is a 8x80 watt giesemann mattrix 2. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

No reason it shouldn’t. Just hang it close since the reflectors don’t wrap the bulbs as tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2019, 08:53 AM   #3
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Close to the surface is better anyway so I can sit close to the tank without getting hit by the light

Unread 09/12/2019, 11:20 PM   #4
ryanrid
Registered Member

Quote:

i have a 73x32x20inch tank and i used a 8 x 80w matrix 2 on it. I would not recommend this light for several reasons

1. the width of the light - is is very narrow in comparison to the other brands with narrow reflectors.
2. issues with ballasts - I had 2 lights and both had ballast issues (dimming may have caused this). One unit 1 bank blew the second unit 2 banks blew.
3.CPU issues - both units had CPU issues, one light used to reset itself regularly the one lost memory when unplugged.

I now run a pac sun diuana and get approx 30% more par. The matrix IMO is the best looking T5 lighting unit on the market and i was reluctant to change (hence i got a second one)

pic for reference

ryanrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2019, 04:06 AM   #5
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrid View Post
i have a 73x32x20inch tank and i used a 8 x 80w matrix 2 on it. I would not recommend this light for several reasons

How's the Pacific Sun model

Thanks for the tip this helps me move on from the light. I'm now considering 2 8x80 watt or 2 6x80 watt t5 fixtures from ati. Not sure what is best. I'm planning to run at least 4 actinic and the rest will all be blue plus and coral plus....

Any more suggestions?

Unread 09/13/2019, 06:22 AM   #6
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
I went with a Giesemann Spectra 72” wit radium 250s and couldn’t be happier. I just put solar on my house and once it cools down a bit I’m switching to 400’s

One kinda saving grace was that I was able to get a pair of the euroquatics 60’ E5X t5 replacement lamps that give me that pop that only LEDs can do to make the stupid overpriced tenius look good.

Euroquatics is going out of business again so if you are even considering it, I’d get some now because nobody else makes a T5 LED in 60 inch.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2686185&page=8

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2019, 07:07 AM   #7
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I went with a Giesemann Spectra 72” wit radium 250s and couldn’t be happier. I just put solar on my house and once it cools down a bit I’m switching to 400’s

One kinda saving grace was that I was able to get a pair of the euroquatics 60’ E5X t5 replacement lamps that give me that pop that only LEDs can do to make the stupid overpriced tenius look good.

Euroquatics is going out of business again so if you are even considering it, I’d get some now because nobody else makes a T5 LED in 60 inch.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2686185&page=8
Giesemann spectra is no longer in circulation or I would of ordered one

Unread 09/13/2019, 09:10 AM   #8
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
I think they are discontinued, I know one of the reps and it seems there are several still available or like I did, keep an eye on the 2nd hand market.

Giesemann are built like Mercedes, so I don’t have any trouble buying a used one so long as it’s cosmetically in good shape.

mine looks very good however I may change it to white, would take an hour or so to strip it down and have the parts powder coated for $100 and then another hour or so to reassemble.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
Unread 09/13/2019, 09:19 AM   #9
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Here's my peninsula u can get an idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2019, 09:22 AM   #10
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

No not really getting an idea from that. I don't want LEDs. I just need to know if I should be lighting it with 12 bulbs or 16 bulbs

Unread 09/13/2019, 09:43 AM   #11
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

If u have 36" wide then minimum 8 bulb. If u can find the old power module ATI 10 bulb is better. I had a 8x80" ATI before and it doesn't cover the 36" width without adding more light to the side

ABC corals

Unread 09/13/2019, 09:48 AM   #12
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycnibrc View Post
If u have 36" wide then minimum 8 bulb. If u can find the old power module ATI 10 bulb is better. I had a 8x80" ATI before and it doesn't cover the 36" width without adding more light to the side

So two sunpowers at 6 bulbs meaning 12 total is your recommendation? I'm ok without the 16?

Unread 09/13/2019, 09:56 AM   #13
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

That's a lot of bulb need to replace if u hang the fixture higher the 8x80 should have no problem with 72" tank. Most of the time when u aquascape u don't stack the rock all the way to the end so u looking at 72"-6"=66" then the ATI 60" is perfect however 36" width u need more than 8 bulb to cover otherwise u need to add reef Brite led strip to the side to cover. The old ATI power module have 10 bulb it will be best for 36" width.

ABC corals

Unread 09/13/2019, 10:02 AM   #14
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

I found this picture in my build thread my tank is 96""x36"x24" n u can see the width of the tank vs to the 8x80 ATI fixture. I have to add 2 more row of t5 to cover the whole width

ABC corals

Unread 09/27/2019, 10:22 AM   #15
Holyreefer
Octopus Extreme 300 Skimr

i have a 72x24/24 and i use all Kessil 360x on mine i have 4 of those and 2 of the LED reef brites MORE THAN ENOUGH LIGHT.
Waiting on a PAR meter now so i can adjust the lights accordingly

Current Tank Info: GYRE 150,Seaswirl 1.5, Barcuda Pump, Custom LED system, Extreme Reef Octopus 300 Protein Skimmer, 80 watt Aqua UV, Korallin BioDenitrator Nitrate, Hydor Magnum 8 Powerheads
Holyreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2019, 10:45 AM   #16
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyreefer View Post
i have a 72x24/24 and i use all Kessil 360x on mine i have 4 of those and 2 of the LED reef brites MORE THAN ENOUGH LIGHT.
Waiting on a PAR meter now so i can adjust the lights accordingly
I ran kessil and radion, LEDs make the coral grow sporadically, the growth is not clustered and the coral always dies underneath. Halide or t5 only for me. Thanks

Unread 10/04/2019, 07:22 AM   #17
Holyreefer
Octopus Extreme 300 Skimr

Quote:
I ran kessil and radion, LEDs make the coral grow sporadically, the growth is not clustered and the coral always dies underneath. Halide or t5 only for me. Thanks
the "Shadowing effect" you couldn't supplement the LEDS with T5 for the shadowing effects?

Current Tank Info: GYRE 150,Seaswirl 1.5, Barcuda Pump, Custom LED system, Extreme Reef Octopus 300 Protein Skimmer, 80 watt Aqua UV, Korallin BioDenitrator Nitrate, Hydor Magnum 8 Powerheads
Holyreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2019, 10:38 AM   #18
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
I thought the same thing but this person would know better than anyone and he just posted this a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishntoboutside View Post
The spectra was not discontinued. FYI it can always be special ordered. Sales of MH fixtures have dropped huge in the last few years. This is the slowest selling fixture for CoralVue out of all of them. Due to that their is not much of a desire to stock a product that does not move. Many just look for these fixtures used as no one want to pay the high price of these German made fixtures.

The stellar is a great unit. I just wish it was dimmable.
I might reach out directly to him through PM. He is a great guy.

"I hate that hole"