Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Killeriguana
Registered Member

is 30 gallon sufficient for snowflake eel?

i have an 18 inch snowflake eel that I had to put in a 29 gallon tank. i did have it in my 55 with tomato clowns and picasso trigger but it was producing massive amounts of waste so i decided to put it in an extra 29 gallon i had to help control the algae and only turn the light on during feedings or to watch it. seems to be doing ok and swims fairly often. is a 29 gallon suffieceint for it? there is about 20 pounds of live rock and 30-35 pounds of sand with it.
Thanks

Killeriguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2010, 10:54 PM   #2
bigred16
Registered Member

The long term, the answer is NO. My Snowflake is at least 33" long and as thick as a baseball, it would get cramped in there and probably try to escape, due to confinment issue.

bigred16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Killeriguana
Registered Member

the person before me bought it when it was very small and kept it in his 20 gallon sump for 2 years untill it reached its current size (about 18 inches) and it seems fairly healthy, eats readily, and swims every day at around 9 pm. i would like to add it back to my 55 considering that i got a large tunze 9010 protein skimmer (rated for like 260 gal) but do you think it would bother a 1.5 inch green spotted puffer? or my 2.5 inch tomato clowns?
Thank you

Unread 02/14/2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Rensmif
Registered Member

Too small plan on a upgrade real soon

Rensmif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Jacwil
Registered Member

A longer tank better than a higher one? Asking because I have a buddy who may give me a 50 tall..30"L

-Justin
Jacwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2010, 12:05 PM   #6
LisaD
That's not a salmon

For snowflakes, I think you need length and height. I've kept marine tanks since the 70s, have only had two snowflakes and both escaped and died.

I've had my zebra moray about a dozen years, in a 120, then 210, and its never tried to get out. Same with the Brazilian dragon moray I've had several years.

Honestly, with them getting over 30" and thick, and likely to walk out of the tank if not happy, you really need a bigger tank. If you can get a free tank, use it for now but get equipment that will work for an upgrade.

LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Killeriguana
Registered Member

if i put the eel back in the 55, would it bother my 1.5 inch green spotted puffer or my 2.5 inch tomato clowns? places such as wetwebmedia say that they do not eat fish, but i have also heard comments saying the will. It looks like you have expirience LisaD so whats do you think?

Unread 02/14/2010, 04:24 PM   #8
LisaD
That's not a salmon

my snowflakes did not bother other fish, but snowflake eels are known to sometimes kill fish, especially at night. to help avoid fish kills I do the following with the eels I have:

1) always stick feed - loose food can cause competition with fish, or a feeding frenzy, resulting in injured fish

2) I never feed live food or frozen fish - to avoid my eels from "developing a taste" for it

3) I keep my eels well fed, feeding at least a few times a week

Unread 02/14/2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Killeriguana
Registered Member

thanks for your time but the guy before me said that he had fed it small damsels before in his 20 gallon sump. i know that is a ridiculous place to put it for 2 years but it seems healthy so would that have an effect on it?

Unread 02/14/2010, 06:57 PM   #10
anbosu
Registered Member

Well, the problem is it is now conditioned to eat fish. I would think your fish are very likely to be eaten in this situation.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2010, 09:17 PM   #11
LisaD
That's not a salmon

I agree. It will be okay in the 29 for just a little while. You will need to either get it its own, larger tank, or rehome it. I'm sorry, but if it's been eating damsels, it will not be safe with your fish.

Unread 02/14/2010, 09:58 PM   #12
Killeriguana
Registered Member

ok thanks. i will think about further action for a little while, while it is in the 29. if i come across another tank pretty cheap, i will keep it but if not i guess i will have to just trade it in on something else.

Unread 02/14/2010, 09:59 PM   #13
LisaD
That's not a salmon

keep a lookout on craigslist - it is not uncommon to find good deals on 55 and 75 gallon tanks.

Unread 02/14/2010, 11:49 PM   #14
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaD View Post
keep a lookout on craigslist - it is not uncommon to find good deals on 55 and 75 gallon tanks.
+1 Some great deals to be had when people want to dump their tanks. Also see if there's a local fish club in your area. Great way to pick up tanks also.

ps. I plan to get a Snowflake eel probably next year and put it in a 75g.

Be kinder than necessary because every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder - started 9/2011 - platinum perc and sanjay's black photon clownfishes; sps and lps, and soft corals; 250w MH, 20 long sump w Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 skimmer 12g nano cube -serpent star, mini carpet anemones, w 6 sexy shrimp, 150w MH, maxi je
Korrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2010, 08:36 AM   #15
Killeriguana
Registered Member

what is a local fish club? what does it do?

Unread 02/15/2010, 10:45 AM   #16
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

They get together and talk about fish, have frag or fish swaps, go on tank tours at members houses. Fun stuff. If you want to pm me your city and state I'll look to see if there is one in your area for you.

Be kinder than necessary because every one you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder - started 9/2011 - platinum perc and sanjay's black photon clownfishes; sps and lps, and soft corals; 250w MH, 20 long sump w Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 skimmer 12g nano cube -serpent star, mini carpet anemones, w 6 sexy shrimp, 150w MH, maxi je
Unread 03/05/2010, 01:55 PM   #17
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

I'm starting to give up on having a snowflake. I don't want to drag my parameters down to where the other fish and corals are suffering not to mention the hecktic maintenance routine and don't forget about the eel's preoccupation to escape. If I do an eel it would be a dwarf, but only when my reefing skills can let me take the chance.

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
cherubfish pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 02:52 PM   #18
Killeriguana
Registered Member

Well i ended up building it a 55 gallon tank just for it. (spent all weekend doing it and built a stand) 2 days after it moved into the new tank, I came home to find it in the floor! I thought i had the top completely sealed with plexi glass but if must have swam up the hob filter and jumped out. Although it was my coolest fish, i will not be getting anymore eels

Unread 03/05/2010, 04:17 PM   #19
johno4
Registered Member

Are you sure its dead? I would put it back in the tank and see what happens. They have been know to do this and somehow bounce back. Its worth a shot if you didnt get rid of it already.

johno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2010, 10:47 PM   #20
Killeriguana
Registered Member

Well I noticed it was gone this morning but couldnt find it and didnt have enough time to search thouroughly without being late for school and it could have been hiding in the sand. So when i got home, i raked my fingers through the sand and realized it wasnt there and found it about 5 feet away under a stand. it had to have been out for a minimum of 10+ hours. It was dried out and stiff so i just disposed of it

Unread 03/05/2010, 11:53 PM   #21
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Too bad it wasn't a lungfish! J/k, it was a terrible loss.

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Unread 03/06/2010, 08:11 AM   #22
Korrine
You could get a ticket!!

Sorry bout that Always sucks loosing a fish.

I'm leaning toward a glass top for my tank and there WON'T be any openings. At least I hope not.

Cherub, you have a sump? I'm hoping to run about a 1/3 of my 75g sump as a fug w/a deep sand bed. Will have an awesome skimmer also. I hope to have all these meat eating critters and keep lps also.

Unread 03/06/2010, 12:24 PM   #23
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Yes Korrine, my sump and refugium are separate tanks plumbed together via a hose.

When I find time to learn sketchup I will come up with a diagram of the whole thing. The thing about my setup is the skimmer filters water before the fuge which is backwards of what the experts advise. I just like my skimmer being the main filter and the excess nutrients it doesn't get will be assimilated in the refugium.

Who knows, I might switch it around someday just for kicks.

Unread 03/06/2010, 02:38 PM   #24
johno4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killeriguana View Post
Well I noticed it was gone this morning but couldnt find it and didnt have enough time to search thouroughly without being late for school and it could have been hiding in the sand. So when i got home, i raked my fingers through the sand and realized it wasnt there and found it about 5 feet away under a stand. it had to have been out for a minimum of 10+ hours. It was dried out and stiff so i just disposed of it
Thats too bad. For anyone else reading this, even if your eel has been out of the water for this long it is worth a shot to add it back to the tank. It has happened to many people, and the eels do some how survive.

johno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2010, 09:02 PM   #25
Killeriguana
Registered Member

well i didnt know but i guess i should have researched it more. i was positive it was dead at the time. i feel bad now.

Tags
29 gallon, aggresive, large, predator, snowflake eel