Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2018, 09:13 PM   #1
malx
Registered Member

Fish not eating

Hi, All.

I've gotten two captive bread blenneys (striped one and grey with yellow tail one) and neither of them are eating. Both won't go after any food at all. They were added on Sunday. Didn't QT these guys against my better judgement just because I was able to observe them for 5 days after they were shipped and looked healthy.

They are very active, swimming around, and the last two nights they slept in the same spots they found for themselves.

I feed
Mysis
Brine
Ocean Plankton
Pods/Rotifers
Krill
Mega Marine Angel
Bloodworms
and Flakes

Let me know how long you think I should keep trying. I'm thinking they will get hungry eventually.

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 03:44 PM   #2
DreadCapn
Registered Member

If they continue to not eat, try a different herbivore food like Mega Marine Algae or frozen spirulina - you might have to shred it up beforehand.

You might also try pellets. I know that SA Clowns gave me fits because pellets were the only things they recognized as food.

Avast Pegleg Skimmer
DreadCapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 05:06 PM   #3
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadCapn View Post
If they continue to not eat, try a different herbivore food like Mega Marine Algae or frozen spirulina - you might have to shred it up beforehand.

You might also try pellets. I know that SA Clowns gave me fits because pellets were the only things they recognized as food.
Thanks for the tips! I actually tried live brine shrimp today and they ate. So I guess they were never migrated onto frozen. Luckily, I have a phyto culture I was going to use for rotifers, I went to the store, got some brine, and its in there now breeding so I can ween them off.

The things we do for our fish.

And that F**K bit me when I put him in. My damn arm was sore for a day.

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2018, 01:31 PM   #4
khan_man
Registered Member

I'm also looking into getting a bicolor blenny and I hope to not run into a feeding issue, but I read that they do eat alge so Definetly try alge as food

khan_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 07:02 AM   #5
Rover88
Registered Member

QT is important.

Its both a chance to observe the fish and insulate your display, and a chance to make sure they are eating. Its less stressful then dropping them into an unknown environment filled with other fish competing for food, then having their own quiet environment for getting fat and healthy.

Hopefully you are just experiencing fish-anxiety, and they'll eat once they figure out their place in the pecking order.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote