Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Nickyfish
Registered Member

Frag transfer

Hello I would like to ask I have a bunch of polyps and frag’s in my tank that are cemented to small round discs and luckily they have done very well and they look like they are outgrowing the platform they are on and I would like to transfer them to a larger ceramic plate or disc how is this done correctly

Nickyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 05:46 PM   #2
Rjukan
Day Dreamer

At this point just leave them on the plug and they will grow out and onto the rock. Next time you get coral on plugs or discs you can snap them off using a frag tool, and then glue them right onto your rock.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal Deep Blue cube, AquaC EV180, Kessil H80 fuge, A360WE TB
Rjukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 01:02 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

I use epoxy and super glue.frag > super glue > epoxy > super glue > rock.

Best adherence.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 04:10 AM   #4
homer1475
Registered Member

Why do you want to move them from a frag plug to a larger frag plug or ceramic disk?

Once they are encrusted on the disk, and rolling down the disk, I just glue the disk to my rockwork and let it encrust onto the rocks. Eventually it will cover the disk and you will never be able to tell there is a frag plug there.

Once they start to encrust, it's best to just leave it be or risk killing it by removing it from the plug. Some corals can recover from being ripped off the encrusting plug, while others will just die. If you want to move them to larger disks, it's best to do before they start to encrust. Some corals you can slide a razor blade under them and get everything off the plug while not hurting the coral one bit.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 04:52 AM   #5
Nickyfish
Registered Member

Ok thanks I just figured they were overgrowing the base and it would hinder more growth I guess the polyps will just continue to grow on the rocks everything’s doing great and growing fast

What was the frag tool I spoke of

Unread 09/20/2018, 04:53 AM   #6
Nickyfish
Registered Member

Is there a link on glueing the frags directly to Rick
Correctly