Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2008, 07:09 PM   #1
GlassReef
Got Reef

Remote probes and reactors

I’m in the final stages of planning my fish room. The tank is 375gal with a 75gal primary sump below it. I will have 3 further tanks (refugium, frags, RDSB - each between 50 & 60gals) on the wall opposite the display tank, about 6 feet away. They will be fed from the primary sump by a Dart. I’ll be using the Balling method to dose calc/alk/mag. This will added in the primary sump.

My question – for access convenience, I’d like to have my probes (pH, ORP, Conductivity, etc.) as well as my PhosBan reactor and carbon reactor located (fed from – returned to) in one or more of the “remote” tanks. Would this present any kind of problem? Would probe values be influenced by the distance from the display tank. My logic tells me no, but I thought I’d better get a few expert opinions.

Thanks

No matter how much you try to push the envelope, it remains stationary.
GlassReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2008, 07:42 PM   #2
rockworm
A-counting guy

I am not an expert, but I am doing something very similar. My display tanks are on the main floor with my fish room in the basement. The probes, controller, and all equipment is in the basement.

Current Tank Info: 400g SPS and 75g non SPS
rockworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2008, 06:53 PM   #3
redbj
Registered Member

I would guess that as long as you had a decent flow rate through the tanks it wouldn't matter too much. I would just make sure a PH prob is like right over a reactor injecting C02.

Current Tank Info: 40 gal SW
redbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 11:22 PM   #4
Rick's Reef
Registered Member

Sorry to bump a really old thread but this seems the most applicable thread I could find with the searching.

My display tank is going into a living room with the sump underneath and I would like the calcium reactor to be remotely located in the garage. This means about a 35 foot run with tubing up through the attic and then out into the garage. I.e. I would tee off the return pump and then send a 1/4" supply line to the reactor and then back with the effluent. I will need to handle the temp in summer/winter, but other than that should I be concerned about the effluent returning over a slow drip on such a great distance?

I am inclined to say no...also if kalk were supplied the same way, any concerns?

Thanks,
Rick

Rick's Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 09:49 AM   #5
Breadman03
New Old School

Look up the Masterflex thread and you'll be golden. It's a commercial grade peristaltic pump with very fine control of its pumping rate and will have no problem with that. I'm running a Watson-Marlow, which is similar.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote