Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2017, 01:52 AM   #1
Ou8me2
Registered Member

IceCap 3K Gyre Generation Flow Pump

So I saw this online on another site and it looks promising to me. Basically, it's a cheaper alternative to the Maxspect Gyre but uses the Technology licensed by Maxspect.

http://www.coralvue.com/icecap-3k-gy...tion-flow-pump

Quote:
Max Flow 3,000gph | 40~8 watts | 25-100+ gallons
Includes 3K gyre pump, power supply and controller
Applicable for glass or acrylic aquariums up to 3/4 in.
Supposedly it's supposed to have a price of MRSP of $149.00 which is affordable I think. Maybe this is their response to Jebao Gyre? I haven't found anyone selling them yet though and at that price point I would be willing to give it a shot over a Jebao Gyre any day.

Ou8me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 02:37 PM   #2
jubjub47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8me2 View Post
So I saw this online on another site and it looks promising to me. Basically, it's a cheaper alternative to the Maxspect Gyre but uses the Technology licensed by Maxspect.

http://www.coralvue.com/icecap-3k-gy...tion-flow-pump

Supposedly it's supposed to have a price of MRSP of $149.00 which is affordable I think. Maybe this is their response to Jebao Gyre? I haven't found anyone selling them yet though and at that price point I would be willing to give it a shot over a Jebao Gyre any day.
Well the jebao is stolen technology while the icecap version is actually licensed. The odd thing about this deal is that both maxspect and icecap are distributed by coralvue. The other oddity is that the icecap version is nearly identical to the gyre and even 700gph stronger than the xf230 yet almost half the price. Not sure why maxspect would license that out for that to happen.

And no the icecap pump is not being shipped yet.

jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Potatohead
Registered Member

Interesting. I wonder where they saved the money on the build of it, because the MaxSpect ones aren't known for super high quality, although they seem to be getting better.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 05:18 PM   #4
indyjaco
Registered Member

It looks like the last generation XF130 with a new name.

SCA 120G RB 48 V2
indyjaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 10:03 PM   #5
Fredfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjaco View Post
So, Maxspects answer to the Jebao clone then. It would be a nice option for those that want lots of flow, but are willing to forego the fancy controller.

Unread 01/20/2017, 06:58 AM   #6
Ou8me2
Registered Member

I'm just curious on how reliable and the actual technology they are using or maybe the bits and pieces they are using from the Maxspect technology.

Clearly, Maxspect isn't trying to sabotage their higher-end gyre pumps and controllers. I think it would be silly to assume this will be just as good at the Maxspect gyre series. However, I do welcome the thought of something rather affordable hitting the market.

Unread 01/20/2017, 08:33 AM   #7
jubjub47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjaco View Post
This new Icecap version uses the new controller which is the achilles heal of the product. Of the original version we had about a 60% failure rate on all of them that we sold and it was always the controller. The other parts were very unusual to have fail for us at least.

jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 04:37 PM   #8
erik2302
Registered Member

How many pumps can plug into one controller? Also can it be plugged directly into an Apex or a Cerebra 1-10v?

erik2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 05:28 PM   #9
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredfish View Post
So, Maxspects answer to the Jebao clone then. It would be a nice option for those that want lots of flow, but are willing to forego the fancy controller.
I like the idea. I wonder how Icecap can produce a pump comparable in price to the chinese knock off and still offer some sort of warranty?

Unread 01/25/2017, 10:22 PM   #10
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
I like the idea. I wonder how Icecap can produce a pump comparable in price to the chinese knock off and still offer some sort of warranty?
The Chinese real thing is often from the same manufacturing plant as the chinese 'knockoff', sometimes made in the same people even.

China sometimes steals -- TO combat this, many companies sell China their most successful prototype model to prevent stealing.

Lots of big cycling companies do this. You can buy a $5,000 Pinarello carbon fiber frame, or you can buy one that is 99% the same (But the previous to production prototype) direct from China for $600 -- Made to the same exact standards, by the same exact plant and people who make the one that sells for $5k -- The difference is usually extremely minute.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2017, 10:37 PM   #11
keychild486
Registered Member

It seems like a good business move for maxspect. They lease the technology to ice cap and compete with jebao/jecod.

keychild486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2017, 10:38 PM   #12
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by keychild486 View Post
It seems like a good business move for maxspect. They lease the technology to ice cap and compete with jebao/jecod.
Yes, and potentially make a little profit off each sale (depending upon the contract negotiations of course)

Unread 01/25/2017, 10:40 PM   #13
keychild486
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Yes, and potentially make a little profit off each sale (depending upon the contract negotiations of course)
Yup.

keychild486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 08:04 AM   #14
Ou8me2
Registered Member

Aqua Cave has them for pre-order and ETA 1/30/17.

http://www.aquacave.com/icecap-3k-gy...flow-pump.html

I noticed according to their listing the IceCap 3K is NOT Apex Compatible and
Each pump requires it's own controller. Obviously, there will be some sacrifices given the price of $149.99. I still think it is a fair price for a gyre.

Unread 01/26/2017, 08:15 AM   #15
Str8Down
Registered Member

If you need 2, it's not a huge savings when you consider the features you lose. If you only need 1, its a pretty good deal.

Str8Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 11:34 AM   #16
rajilnaja
Registered Member

Think I'm going to bite, and see if its too much flow for my 32 biocube. Pretty decent price point.

rajilnaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 11:39 AM   #17
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Down View Post
If you need 2, it's not a huge savings when you consider the features you lose. If you only need 1, its a pretty good deal.
In a relatively short time someone will make a compatible linking module. They always do.

Unread 01/26/2017, 05:03 PM   #18
Kyl
Registered Member

Looks like they're farming this out to anyone paying a royalty / licensing fee. Also seeing a purple coloured "Glamorca" brand being advertised now.

Kyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 06:17 PM   #19
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyl View Post
Looks like they're farming this out to anyone paying a royalty / licensing fee. Also seeing a purple coloured "Glamorca" brand being advertised now.
$200? Screw those guys !

Unread 01/27/2017, 12:00 AM   #20
Ou8me2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Down View Post
I'm guessing it's not meant to target the higher end users and people who buy this are willing to accept less features for $149.99 price. Plus it would be silly for Maxspect to give you something that's the same as the higher end models.

It's not a deal breaker to me as I'm not worried about Apex support and well at the price point, not too worried that each one needs a controller. This is meant to tap into a new source of people who want a gyre but don't want to pay close to double for one.

Unread 01/27/2017, 07:58 AM   #21
Str8Down
Registered Member

I agree, but for 2, can't you get the Maxspect for like 289+129 or so? So 420 vs 300 to have a controller that can work them synchronously creating wave/tide functions and apex control. Now if my tank only needed 1, I'd go this way for sure.

Str8Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2017, 04:02 PM   #22
Rakie
In Memoriam

I wondered about their design and asked, apparently it's based off the gyre but wont be a clone.

Unread 01/27/2017, 05:07 PM   #23
Kyl
Registered Member

Given how flaky the gen1's seemed to be (and my gen2 had a motor housing failure in under 2 months of use), you've probably asked the most important question about all these budget versions. Will replacement parts be easy to get, or are you SOL once that year expires.

Kyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2017, 06:12 PM   #24
scuzy
Registered Member

And are the parts interchangeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2017, 06:44 PM   #25
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
And are the parts interchangeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a different design entirely, they only license the shape and technology from Maxspect -- It's a different item from the ground up otherwise, in a familiar shape.