Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2010, 08:56 PM   #1
bassking16
Registered Member

Question How to keep PH up with calcium reactor?

For those of you that are running a calcium reactor, what do you do to keep your ph up to proper levels. I will be using one on my new 150g set-up, and I know the CO2 will lower the PH of the whole tank.

I'm hoping to avoid dripping kalk, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thank You,
Bassking

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS 55g Sump/Fuge/Frag Tank
bassking16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 09:14 PM   #2
oscar.millan
Registered Member

Dripping Kalk is a sure way to get it balanced, in both raising the Ph and consuming excess C02.

If you wish to keep your Ph up without Kalk, I would aerate heavily to allow excess CO2 to escape. Other then that, I don't have any other advise as my experience is limited with Calcium Reactors. I'm pretty well versed in Chemistry, not sure of any other way other than adding Kalk.

-Tesla

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef, 90g rimless cube.
oscar.millan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 09:49 PM   #3
TheH
Registered Member

You can aerate just the water coming out of the reactor. For example, have it go into an empty soda bottle which overflows into the sump and just aerate that bottle. That way you can use a smaller (less noisy) pump.

TheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 09:50 PM   #4
TheH
Registered Member

Also, you can add a second chamber to your calcium reactor filled with more media. Running water through this chamber before it goes to your tank will raise the pH about 0.1-0.2

TheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2010, 09:56 PM   #5
Atlanticmarine
Moved On

A kalk or nelson nealson reactor is the way to go....... Precipitates c02 and po4. Raises alkalinity..... Or the aeration of the water exiting the reactor is really the only other way as long as your dripping a normal rate.... Over drip would cancel the aeration out of effectiveness....

Atlanticmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 10:30 AM   #6
tkeracer619
Registered Member

My ph is 8.1 without kalkwasser. 8.5 with a kalkwasser stirrer.

Right now I don't have kalk in the stirrer. Solid 8.1

I do have a lot of flow and gas exchange. 33 square feet of surface area, 60x display turnover, 3000gph return and 90scfh through the skimmer. I leave a window open in my house all year.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 03:00 PM   #7
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

I have read of some simply feeding the calcium reactor effluent into/near the skimmer.

Unread 04/11/2010, 09:24 PM   #8
bassking16
Registered Member

Okay, it looks like I won't get away from dripping kalk. That's fine since I am already set up. My question, now, would be... Should I drip kalk 24/7 or only at night? Should I drip less now with the reactor, or keep it about the same rate as my evaporation?

I just picked up a pinpoint PH controller. I now have the CO2 selenoid shut-off automated, so my PH shouldn't drop too much.

I have heard that running a sump/fuge light opposite of the DT lighting schedule would help maintain a steady PH as well. Is this true, and if so, is this true when running a calcium reactor.

I like the idea posted above about having the exit tube for the calcium reactor running into my skimmer output for aeration. I think I will try this as well.

By the way, does anyone have a picture of there calcium reactor set-up that they would be willing to post. That would be much appreciated.

Unread 04/11/2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

use kalk as makeup for evap.

drip calcium reactor effluent from high above sump (water) to help blow off any excess CO2. Drip effluent into lit refugia containing macroalgae. Drip effluent in front of skimmer. Make sure to run a controller on the calcium reactor. Open your home's windows. Drip some more limewater

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 09:48 PM   #10
Dadekster
Registered Member

What Gary and some others have said plus I even added a spider plant and some other oxygen producing plant in my office. As of 2 weeks ago my PH has climbed 7.9 at night to 8.0 on average. Was pretty shocked tbh.

Dadekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 04:58 AM   #11
bassking16
Registered Member

Sounds like I have a good plan of attack now thanks to all your response. Thank you very much to those who replied. I really appreciate it. It's almost go time for the new tank, and I feel alot more comfortable now with the calcium reactor.

Thanks Again Everyone,
Bassking

Unread 01/19/2017, 09:04 AM   #12
TheReeferer
Registered Member

I know this thread is old I was looking g for info. I have same issue of low ph with running a calcium reactor. My question is what's the point of running a calcium reactor if I also have to drop kalk to keep ph up. Can't I avoid the calcium reactor all together and just drop Calc?

With my geo 618 my ph is around 8.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TheReeferer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 09:10 AM   #13
BlackTip
Registered Member

- Fresh air intake to the skimmer
- Drip the CaRx affluent near the skimmer intake
- Full dose kalk in ATO (2 tsp per gallon)

Also, you can add a second chamber to your reactor.

Unread 01/20/2017, 01:02 PM   #14
TheReeferer
Registered Member

Thanks do most lol with calcium reactors also run kalk?

Unread 01/20/2017, 01:04 PM   #15
BlackTip
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReeferer View Post
Thanks do most lol with calcium reactors also run kalk?

I do

Unread 01/20/2017, 01:18 PM   #16
Optionman
Registered Member

i run a dual chamber CA reactor 24/7 controlled by an apex fusion PH probe. the PH within the reactor ranges between 6.40-6.65 and my tank PH (measured at entrance to sump from overflow) ranges between 7.90 - 8.10 daily.

i dont add any Kalk but sometimes move the recirculating pumps to increase surface flow if the PH gets a little too low. i will be adding some larger plants to the room based on some of the comments above, thanks.

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 09:47 PM   #17
David MC Lee
Registered Member

Kalk at night.

David MC Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 02:47 AM   #18
GoVols
Registered Member

Get a dual chamber cal reactor. The second chamber de-gasses out co2 and your get a high ph return than a single chamber.

GEO just release their new dual chamber. Been thinking it over. I don't want to drip alk.

http://www.geosreef.com/product/geo-...lcium-reactor/

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 03:15 PM   #19
oldsalty
Registered Member

ESV Part 1

I dose ESV Part 1 daily (Alkalinity) Part 1 has a High PH like Kalc, I dose it 1/2 of what the normal dose should be. I use an automatic doser. PH 8 at nite and up to 8.4 during the day.

oldsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 08:47 PM   #20
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Don't chase PH. Just keep the alk steady and forget about what your tank PH is. Seriously. There are millions of threads on this in the chemistry section archive.

Low PH is more likely from high CO2 in the ambient air in your home than anything else.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 09:16 PM   #21
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Don't chase PH. Just keep the alk steady and forget about what your tank PH is. Seriously. There are millions of threads on this in the chemistry section archive.

Low PH is more likely from high CO2 in the ambient air in your home than anything else.
+1

I opens my windows and circulate as much as I can.

A homes trapped in CO2 is a reef aquarium's ph killer.

With that said... If I ever went back to a cal reactor it would be a dual chamber.

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
Unread 01/21/2017, 10:21 PM   #22
wrott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post

+2
If you are injecting CO2 to water, the proper way to measure pH is to let sample sit for 3-4hrs open before measuring--it will be >8 for SW.
No need to chase #s w/ Ca reactor, no need for kalk unless your Ca is low--like in a heavy SPS tank. As long as alk is 2.8-3.5 mEq/L you should be ok.

120g SPS, 125g mix, 56g FOWLR, 20g qt
wrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 11:48 PM   #23
TheReeferer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrott View Post
+2
If you are injecting CO2 to water, the proper way to measure pH is to let sample sit for 3-4hrs open before measuring--it will be >8 for SW.
No need to chase #s w/ Ca reactor, no need for kalk unless your Ca is low--like in a heavy SPS tank. As long as alk is 2.8-3.5 mEq/L you should be ok.

Ok it sounds like I don't need to worry about a ph in the range of 7.9 to 8.1? I thought this was on the low side.

I am running the dual chamber Geo reactor. Alk and Cal are in check.

Unread 01/22/2017, 02:24 PM   #24
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReeferer View Post
Ok it sounds like I don't need to worry about a ph in the range of 7.9 to 8.1? I thought this was on the low side.

I am running the dual chamber Geo reactor. Alk and Cal are in check.
7.9 to 8.1 is very acceptable

Unread 01/22/2017, 04:46 PM   #25
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I still do. Don't need to but I like the boost in ph.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote