Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2016, 10:01 AM   #51
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

So yesterday I added the rock to my tank:

I realized I have now cycled this rock for 4 months to the day of adding it.

I also electrocuted myself slightly. My pump had some weird bubbles coming out of it when I submerged it. I thought this was okay as this pump ran for 4 months in a garbage can just fine. Plugged it in and the pumped turned on so I thought nothing of it. I stuck my hands in to do some work and 30 seconds later got a slight shock with a blue flash of light. I unplugged the pump and now my water has been stagnant for 24 hours.

What type of glue did you use to lock your rocks in place? Is silicone okay to use? I want to keep my rocks wet so the last 4 months of my cycle isn't ruined.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel Doodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2016, 07:05 AM   #52
Hooloovoo
Registered Member

Fuel Doodle, I am no expert, but I don't think you want to use silicon. I don't think it would bond very well to the rock, and it needs at least 24 hours to dry. I would suggest marine two-part epoxy. I understand that Tunze makes a "gum" that dries really fast. That's probably what I would use if I needed to bond rocks that I wanted to add back to the water quickly. For bigger pieces, you might drill holes and connect them with plastic dowels for added strength and stability.

Hooloovoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2016, 10:09 AM   #53
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooloovoo View Post
Fuel Doodle, I am no expert, but I don't think you want to use silicon. I don't think it would bond very well to the rock, and it needs at least 24 hours to dry. I would suggest marine two-part epoxy. I understand that Tunze makes a "gum" that dries really fast. That's probably what I would use if I needed to bond rocks that I wanted to add back to the water quickly. For bigger pieces, you might drill holes and connect them with plastic dowels for added strength and stability.

Thanks for the tips. I don't have rods or a large enough drill bit and don't feel like messing with that stuff even though it would probably be the most stable. I was looking into BRS and saw some good options. I think I might look at my LFS today so I don't have to wait. I did some gluing with my reef safe small tube that I used to use for gluing frags down and that worked really well! Then I ran out... lol.

After finishing the left side, water was very cloudy but after 12 hours has started to clear up:

Here are some photos of my experience:

4 hours settling with M1 pump running:

12 hours with pump running:

I also worked on the sump and fine tuned my parallelogram box I made for the ATS and put excess rock in the sump:

My cat, Doodle, was very interested in my work yesterday.

Unread 11/12/2016, 07:18 AM   #54
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Tank is clearing up nicely! Going to make a lid for the sump this weekend. Maybe test the cerebra.

Also, I decided to not use the protein skimmer that I bought. If my ATS goes south, then I'll ditch that system and go to a skimmer.

Probably going to grab two Tunze nanostreams 6055s. I think those are the 2nd smallest from Tunze that are controllable. I really wanted the gyre but saw they make a poor ceramic that wears out. Don't want to waste my money on poorly engineered pumps. Anyone have any idea how to cover the Tunzes so I don't make anemone soup?

I'm really struggling with my light choice. My lid height probably means I can't get the ap700 which is what I really want to do. So I'm thinking either two 360s or maybe T5 HO in there. Help me!

Unread 11/12/2016, 10:01 AM   #55
farfromsea
Registered Member

Scape is nice. Fat cat adorable. What is your lid height?

farfromsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2016, 03:09 PM   #56
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Maybe 5 inches. Tank is 48" long by 23 tall. 18 inches in the center and 12 in the corners front to back (72 bow).

Unread 11/12/2016, 03:45 PM   #57
farfromsea
Registered Member

Yeah the only solution I could see would be: build a canopy or get two lights but the overlap could be too much I'm not sure. Looks Like you can hang the 700 at 5" but the 360 needs 12 inches. I'm too lazy for T5s now that LEDs are good lol

Unread 11/12/2016, 11:38 PM   #58
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromsea View Post
Yeah the only solution I could see would be: build a canopy or get two lights but the overlap could be too much I'm not sure. Looks Like you can hang the 700 at 5" but the 360 needs 12 inches. I'm too lazy for T5s now that LEDs are good lol

What do you mean you are too lazy for T5s? Also, after the 52 weeks of feeding was talking about how much better the anemones did under T5 compared to LED makes me really consider T5s for my build over the kessils that I thought I wanted.

Unread 11/13/2016, 01:03 AM   #59
farfromsea
Registered Member

Changing bulbs and dealing with the ballast. I know that is silly but I always have a lot on my plate so one less literal bulb to change is a relief with LEDs lol. Tons of people do T5s & even T5 LED combos. I don't think it is a bad idea! Go for it you can always change the lighting later and sell the T5s but I'm sure you will be successful

Unread 11/14/2016, 10:11 AM   #60
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Didn't get as much done this weekend as I thought I would. Family went with me to a pet show and visited the wife's family Sunday.

My tank water is almost perfectly clear end to end.
Need to glue the Fiji together but I'm liking the left side a lot. Not sure what I will do with the right side yet:

Brother-in-law got bit by the fish bug due to me months ago. My old discus tank inspired him I think and he moved from typical freshwater to discus to salt

Check his current tanks out:

And of course salt:

His nem just recently split and he has made a few tank upgrades as well. Those include carbon & gfo, makes his own RODI now, fancy Tunze pump, and his tank is looking good. Maybe you have seen his work on nano reef as I believe he hangs out on that forum.

Enjoy!

Unread 11/14/2016, 11:27 AM   #61
farfromsea
Registered Member

Very nice. The cleaner shrimp has huge antennae!

Unread 11/15/2016, 01:52 PM   #62
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromsea View Post
Very nice. The cleaner shrimp has huge antennae!

I was surprised by that too.

Unread 11/15/2016, 01:57 PM   #63
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Got a lot accomplished again last nite. Created a lid for my sump with some leftover plastic from my father-in-laws old home. Made 3 different sections to cover the whole thing:

I added a price of styrofoam to see if I could further reduce the noise from the ATS:

Didn't work so well so going to try and refine my design more.
I re-attached the back leg to my hood so my cats don't fall through. I put the glass as well onto the tank but didn't like the way it looks and will be making changes to that in the future.

Caught my nems and clowns sleeping and looking weird:

Enjoy!

Unread 11/17/2016, 08:58 PM   #64
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Ordered my light yesterday from marine depot! They price matched and saved me 100$. What great customer service. I talked to 2 people. First person said he would call me back with an answer and actually did. We then got disconnected and he tried a couple of times while I was already on the other line with another friendly marine depot guy. I would go out of my way to order from them again no problem! This was my first time and I was really happy. Can't wait to show off the light next week!

Unread 11/18/2016, 06:25 PM   #65
dmarkham
Registered Member

Nice looking build so far. I am upgrading to a 150 that I am getting from friend tomorrow. Upgraded from a nano also.

dmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2016, 10:59 PM   #66
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarkham View Post
Nice looking build so far. I am upgrading to a 150 that I am getting from friend tomorrow. Upgraded from a nano also.

Cool! Let me know how it goes. Don't forget BRS started their Black Friday sale already. I got a bunch of stuff yesterday

Unread 11/19/2016, 07:25 AM   #67
dmarkham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Doodle View Post
Cool! Let me know how it goes. Don't forget BRS started their Black Friday sale already. I got a bunch of stuff yesterday

I am checking it out now. Thanks.

dmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2016, 02:35 PM   #68
MrDaniel
Registered Member

Very cool algae scrubber design. Is there any risk of the algae spreading from the scrubber to other parts of the tank?

MrDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2016, 08:51 AM   #69
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniel View Post
Very cool algae scrubber design. Is there any risk of the algae spreading from the scrubber to other parts of the tank?

No. the algae on the screen will have optimal lighting encouraging growth that will out compete any other algae in the entire tank for nutrients, making it not likely for algae to take hold anywhere in the tank other than on the ATS mesh.

Unread 11/22/2016, 08:57 AM   #70
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Well, my first Black Friday stuff came in!

I unpackaged the brown box and found some damage to the coralife box. I rotated the box slowly and didn't hear any broken glass tumble around!

Opened the box and the light was perfect!

To assemble, I had to unscrew 2 screws on each end, slide the plastic cover off, take the styrofoam off of the T5s, slide the cover back on, slide the leg on at each end, and put back the 4 screws. Plugged in the light for test and all 4 bulbs and all 4 LEDs worked!

Here is how my tank looks with the lights on:

Also, my Colorado sunburst that died and came back to life as Frankenstein is doing great! Check Franky out in the upper left corner here:

Zoomed in for better look:

I saw UPS has another round for me today, tomorrow, and then 3 more within the next 4business days!

Unread 11/23/2016, 04:09 PM   #71
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Got more stuff in yesterday! BRS sent me 2 packages. One I was supposed to get yesterday, and one I was supposed to get today I also got yesterday!

And here is what was in inside the box that arrived on time:

And here is what was in the box that arrived a day early!

I hooked up everything that I got and stuff is looking good and everything is functioning just right:

Also painted my controller box! Got a cheap cabinet from Home Depot and a side panel so it looks pretty. Still am not sure how I'm going to make a good looking top for it. Coat one applied:

Unread 11/23/2016, 04:15 PM   #72
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

BRS is at it again! One package arrived today on time, and 3 more arrived 3 days early!

Here is what I got in the box:

And here is the last box:

Also gave my controller box a second coat of paint and it is drying right now.

Can't wait to work on the tank!

Unread 11/24/2016, 12:48 PM   #73
BigBearMD
Registered Member

How'd you get the Green Star polyp to cover the back wall. I think that looks awesome?

Also, its been a while. How's the big tank coming?

BigBearMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2016, 12:51 PM   #74
BigBearMD
Registered Member

hmm...apparently I wasn't on the last page when I wrote the last comment. Sorry. Looking good though.

BigBearMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2016, 09:49 PM   #75
Fuel Doodle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBearMD View Post
hmm...apparently I wasn't on the last page when I wrote the last comment. Sorry. Looking good though.

Tank is coming along great! Got a ton accomplished today. Happy thanksgiving everyone! I'll post my work from today when I have some time tomorrow.

Tags
advanced, anemone, bow aquarium, fuel doodle, reef aquarium