Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2017, 08:59 AM   #26
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
My plan is to remove some of the larger hairy mushroom rocks.
I hear that! Been on a mission to de-hairy mushroom my tank. Talk about invasive! Just don't put them in the garbage can ...... brings new meaning to the 'smell of death'. Fortunately many of mine had settled on removable rocks, so got rid of them outside. Pheeeeweeee.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 12:47 PM   #27
ihavecrabz
Registered Member

@slief Can you share a little bit about your automatic frozen food feeder? I have a couple ideas using a mini-freezer and some linear actuators but would love to see what others have come up with too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ihavecrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 01:01 PM   #28
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgenR8 View Post
Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing your tank with us
Thank you very much and thank you for this opportunity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavecrabz View Post
@slief Can you share a little bit about your automatic frozen food feeder? I have a couple ideas using a mini-freezer and some linear actuators but would love to see what others have come up with too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I have to thawed frozen feeders on my system.
One I use for coral food and one for baby mysis. The coral food feeder uses a GHL Doser 2 and the baby mysis feeder uses an Apex Dos. Here are a couple videos showing them.

First is the GHL Doser 2 based feeder. Because of the small diameter of the tubing on the Doser 2, you have to be careful about the food you put in it. In my case, coral food and cyclops is what I use in this in addition to being able to dose or feed other stuff if needed or desired. This is also controlled through my Profilux but can be setup as a standalone device without a controller. This one is setup on my frag tank and I use it to feed fish that are in observation in the frag tank and also add some supplemental coral feeding there since this tank is fed from my return pump and doesn't get the benefit of the regular heavy fish feedings that my main display gets.

Next up is the Apex Dos. This has larger diameter tubing and I use it for baby mysis. This one is on the main display and is used for supplemental feedings for the fish.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 04:48 PM   #29
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Awesome tank and setup Scott! Well deserved honor.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 10:59 PM   #30
acesq
Registered Member

Nice Scott!! Congratulations! Tank is looking great, well deserved.

Unread 01/03/2017, 11:24 PM   #31
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Congrats Scott! Very well deserved! They should award you the reefer of the month as well. Scott always helps me out via pm's with equipment failures and other topics. If there is someone that knows his stuff it's Slief!

Unread 01/03/2017, 11:47 PM   #32
Breadman03
New Old School

Congrats, Scott! Your reef has always been one of my favorites. I look forward to seeing more pics now that you have a real camera.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 06:41 PM   #33
rlhanks
Registered Member

Congrats, well deserved. It's members like you that keep us all interested.

I have not been around this forum that long but the few threads that I have read I have seen you post on many times. Often with very good advice. The reason that I know this is because of your avatar under your name, I have seen so many times. Now watching your videos about frozen food dosing I can see where that pic came from.

Keep up the excellent work.

rlhanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 06:54 PM   #34
rlhanks
Registered Member

Congrats, well deserved. It's members like you that keep us all interested in the hobby.

I have not been around this forum for that long but many of the threads that I have read I've seen you post on them often. Typically they are informative and helpful. I can now say that watching your videos on frozen food feeding and the pics from this thread I can see where your avatar picture came from.

Thanks

Most equipment are DIY

Current Tank Info: 5'x2'x2', BLDC7, maxspect gyre250, T5HO and LED's, Home made welded steel tubular stand wrapped in wood work.
rlhanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 07:03 PM   #35
SBV
Registered Member

Congrats man! Hey thanks so much for taking the time out of your day and answering all my questions in the past. If I ever make it to Cali, I want a tour of this setup!!

Current Tank Info: 120 LPS RR, 40 gal. fuge
SBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 07:16 PM   #36
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Great set up tank and thanks for all your help!!

Unread 01/06/2017, 04:09 PM   #37
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Wow!!!

Wow!!! Epic!

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 09:44 AM   #38
jocca
Registered Member

Awesome tank. Thanks for sharing. How do you use the apex dos for thawed frozen food dosing and what kind of thawed frozen food? I would like to try that.

jocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2017, 11:41 AM   #39
slief
RC Sponsor

Thanks again for the kind words guys! It's very humbling and very much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocca View Post
Awesome tank. Thanks for sharing. How do you use the apex dos for thawed frozen food dosing and what kind of thawed frozen food? I would like to try that.
I use it for thawed baby mysis. I typically use the Hikari Mysis cubes and
add some Hikari Spirulina Brine cubes to the mix from time to time. I only put 3 cubes in at a time which is 3 days worth after which I clean and refill the jar. This runs once a day at 1PM and is used for supplemental feeding only. It helps keep fish such as my anthias well fed while I am not home during the day. I use this in conjunction with my AFS which feeds NLS and PE Pellets once a day too for more supplmental feeding. At night I do a big hand feeding.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 01/08/2017, 05:57 PM   #40
Misled
RC Mod

Hey Scott. It was good working with you through this. I do think it turned out pretty good. I'm glad I was able to get to know you and talk to you while getting this together. Sorry you got involved in another expensive hobby, but it's nice having you over in the photog forum. Kudos and congrats on the beautiful tank and the TOTM for January 2017.

Unread 01/08/2017, 10:54 PM   #41
machodik
Registered Member

January 2017 Tank Of The Month (slief)

Congrats Scott ,

You are one of the expert I met here in RC but you are the best guy I ever meet in this hobby.

Thanks for your countless time and effort for guiding me all the way from the time I set up my calcium reactor and a lot of related subject in this hobby. You also give me the best customer service during my purchase of my RE skimmer and I love it so much.

So ashamed It took me this long delay to greet you being selected January 2016 Tank of the month .

You deserved it and more power to you !

I hope my tank will eventually reached even half of what you achieved in your tank. I am still struggling and trying to prove the best virtue in this hobby "patience"!

I have try so many different system and spending some huge amount of money in this field , sometimes I feel the money I invested is not worth for what I got , but being addicted in This hobby and I hope My present going full KZ program will finally let me reached to at least a door step to the road of success.

Cheers ,

MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90cmx60cmx60cm (420 liters total volume), 12mm thick tampered glass aquariums , Eheim compact +5000, Jns SK2 protein skimmer, T5 x 4 x39 watt (2 blue , 2 white), MP40WES, SEIO 1000, TLF 150 *2 + 550 *1

Last edited by machodik; 01/08/2017 at 11:00 PM.
machodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2017, 02:23 PM   #42
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Hey Scott. It was good working with you through this. I do think it turned out pretty good. I'm glad I was able to get to know you and talk to you while getting this together. Sorry you got involved in another expensive hobby, but it's nice having you over in the photog forum. Kudos and congrats on the beautiful tank and the TOTM for January 2017.

I think it turned out great! Awesome job putting everything together Jesse. One of my favorite things on this forum.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2017, 10:30 PM   #43
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Thank you very much Jesse! It was certainly a pleasure working with you and your pointers on the camera stuff proved invaluable. I am sure I will be pinging you in the future for more tips! I have to admit that I never in a million years even considered being nominated for TOTM and it came as a huge surprised. I am completely humbled by this honor. Again, thank you to you and the rest of the staff at Reef Central. It's truly an honor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodik View Post
Congrats Scott ,

You are one of the expert I met here in RC but you are the best guy I ever meet in this hobby.

Thanks for your countless time and effort for guiding me all the way from the time I set up my calcium reactor and a lot of related subject in this hobby. You also give me the best customer service during my purchase of my RE skimmer and I love it so much.

So ashamed It took me this long delay to greet you being selected January 2016 Tank of the month .

You deserved it and more power to you !

I hope my tank will eventually reached even half of what you achieved in your tank. I am still struggling and trying to prove the best virtue in this hobby "patience"!

I have try so many different system and spending some huge amount of money in this field , sometimes I feel the money I invested is not worth for what I got , but being addicted in This hobby and I hope My present going full KZ program will finally let me reached to at least a door step to the road of success.

Cheers ,

MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow Jackson. Your kind words are very much apprecited! As is the coffee which I am still enjoying!

Your a very thoughtful, kind and gracious person and it's truly a pleasure helping you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyFin View Post
I think it turned out great! Awesome job putting everything together Jesse. One of my favorite things on this forum.
+1.

I have always loved TOTM and am very happy to see that it's back! After working through this with Jesse, I have a whole new perspective and fond appreciation for what goes into the putting the TOTM threads together. It's a serious undertaking that involves a lot of time. I don't think most people have any idea how much time is involved in making it happen. My hats off to Jesse for his efforts in bringing TOTM back to RC. His efforts are greatly appreciated!

Unread 01/10/2017, 10:29 AM   #44
codydemmel4
Registered Member

awesome tank!! very well deserved

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 02:27 PM   #45
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post

I have always loved TOTM and am very happy to see that it's back! After working through this with Jesse, I have a whole new perspective and fond appreciation for what goes into the putting the TOTM threads together. It's a serious undertaking that involves a lot of time. I don't think most people have any idea how much time is involved in making it happen. My hats off to Jesse for his efforts in bringing TOTM back to RC. His efforts are greatly appreciated!
I know that this is about your tank, but I was hoping to find a way to pat Jesse on the back for a job really, REALLY well done. Thank you for giving me that open door

Jesse, you have done a fantastic job as our new TOTM editor in chief, and although I'm not quite ready to , I do owe you several frosty cold

Dunder Mifflin

Current Tank Info: Unknown slow drip, over 20 years damaged my house and heating system. No more tank.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 10:25 AM   #46
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Congrats Scott, well deserved!!

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 11:41 PM   #47
vikinglord13
Registered Member

I'm glad TOTM is back!

Scott, congratulations on winning it for January. I enjoy watching your videos on youtube!
Thanks for sharing the info.

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 01:45 AM   #48
SPR1968
Registered Member

Stunning tank and it's great to also see the engineering behind such a beast!

I'm new to aquariums and learning the art of saltwater, and it's fascinating to read stories like yours and how you run the tank etc

Congratulations!

Current Tank Info: 2016 Red Sea Max S 650 LED Black Reef Tank
SPR1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 12:12 PM   #49
Sreed10
Registered Member

Congratulations Scott! I've seen this tank in person, and have been the recipient of some of his frags which dwarfed everything in my tank! Scott is truly a giver in this "hobby", and I appreciate his contribution and support. I have some questions for you too so I'll be calling you soon Scott. Again, congratulations!

Sreed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 12:44 PM   #50
Joe0813
Registered Member

Congrats to slief... I watch his tank on YouTube all the time. And the L.A fish guy that he helps with

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote