Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2017, 11:32 PM   #1
Reeferparty
Registered Member

Fat head dendro has opened in 3 days

Should I be worried? Been doing well except for the past 3 days..completely closed. Should I force feed it or give it another day or 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reeferparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2017, 11:33 PM   #2
Reeferparty
Registered Member

Hasn't**

Unread 01/15/2017, 03:18 PM   #3
FollyFish
Registered Member

Hello I am by no means an expert but I would try to feed it in the evening. Squirt it with some water that you soaked frozen food in and a bit later try feeding it. With my dendro it open in the morning and in the evening and tend to close up when the lights are at the highest in the afternoon. I would also consider moving the dendro to an area with more shade. These coral do much better in a dark area as they don't use any light for food. It might be closed because the lights are too high.

FollyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 03:39 PM   #4
Reeferparty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollyFish View Post
Hello I am by no means an expert but I would try to feed it in the evening. Squirt it with some water that you soaked frozen food in and a bit later try feeding it. With my dendro it open in the morning and in the evening and tend to close up when the lights are at the highest in the afternoon. I would also consider moving the dendro to an area with more shade. These coral do much better in a dark area as they don't use any light for food. It might be closed because the lights are too high.

Thank for your response! I have had it it moderate light and it's been opened. But I've moved it to even lower light and have tried the Tupperware method by defrosting a whole cube of mysis and it still refuses to open up. I have even put mysis directly in/on its mouth and it also refuses feeding -___-

Unread 01/16/2017, 08:36 AM   #5
laga77
Registered Member

The intensity of the light does not matter. Is the temperature of the mysis you are putting on the heads the same as tank water, or it still chilled from defrosting? If you try target feeding an NPS coral with cold food, they will close up every time. Keep it in the tank and try some other food. Shut off the flow and GENTLY blow some finely chopped shrimp or fish or even some BBS into its mouth.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 10:10 AM   #6
Reeferparty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laga77 View Post
The intensity of the light does not matter. Is the temperature of the mysis you are putting on the heads the same as tank water, or it still chilled from defrosting? If you try target feeding an NPS coral with cold food, they will close up every time. Keep it in the tank and try some other food. Shut off the flow and GENTLY blow some finely chopped shrimp or fish or even some BBS into its mouth.

The mysis is tank temp after defrosting.

Unread 01/16/2017, 09:15 PM   #7
Reeferparty
Registered Member

Good news! Today I came home from work a little earlier in the afternoon and saw the coral finally showing very minor feeding tentacles..I immediately defrosted some mysis and placed on the mouth crossing my fingers it would grab hold! Very slowly but surely it ate! Now it's halfway opened! Phew!

Unread 01/21/2017, 12:25 PM   #8
laga77
Registered Member

Great news! Hopefully you can feed it everyday for at least the next 2 weeks. 3-4 times a week after that.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
Unread 01/21/2017, 12:30 PM   #9
j_mazzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laga77 View Post
Great news! Hopefully you can feed it everyday for at least the next 2 weeks. 3-4 times a week after that.
wouldnt that possibly kill the dendro?

j_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2017, 11:52 AM   #10
laga77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_mazzy View Post
wouldnt that possibly kill the dendro?
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ghlight=zombie Read this thread.

Unread 01/22/2017, 12:11 PM   #11
j_mazzy
Registered Member

It is my understanding that feeding too often leads to rotate. If the coral is already weak I was concerned

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

j_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote