Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2017, 04:52 PM   #1
1SaltCreep
Registered Member

Button Polyps Toxic?

After quite a bit of searching online, I'm trying to discern if the button polyps in the photos are, in fact, those that are able to release a deadly chemical into the tank? Or are these the protopalythoa that, I understand, are not toxic?

Thought I would ask the experts

1SaltCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2017, 05:36 PM   #2
syrinx
Registered Member

I would always play safe and expect all palys to be toxic. It is not an issue for the tank, more a issue for you if you handle them with cut hands or worst scrub rock they are on with a brush and hot water- or boiling rock they are on.

Unread 01/15/2017, 02:00 AM   #3
Invertebrated
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SaltCreep View Post
After quite a bit of searching online, I'm trying to discern if the button polyps in the photos are, in fact, those that are able to release a deadly chemical into the tank? Or are these the protopalythoa that, I understand, are not toxic?

Thought I would ask the experts
So do you know the name of your button polyps? I wonder because I have some that are almost identical.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Invertebrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 10:33 AM   #4
1SaltCreep
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertebrated View Post
So do you know the name of your button polyps? I wonder because I have some that are almost identical.

I've only ever seen them referred to as "Button Polyps (Protopalythoa sp.) . They can sting other coral nearby. Hopefully, you have them on an island, because they're quite prolific. It seems that most aquarists consider them ugly, or a weed, and remove them. Although, for now anyway, I like the addition of the fluorescent color to the actinic light. They haven't yet caused me any problems, so they'll stay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1SaltCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 09:35 PM   #5
Invertebrated
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SaltCreep View Post
I've only ever seen them referred to as "Button Polyps (Protopalythoa sp.) . They can sting other coral nearby. Hopefully, you have them on an island, because they're quite prolific. It seems that most aquarists consider them ugly, or a weed, and remove them. Although, for now anyway, I like the addition of the fluorescent color to the actinic light. They haven't yet caused me any problems, so they'll stay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you they are isolated as I really only have one other coral. They might be a weed but I guess right now I'm very happy with the few animals I have.

Invertebrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 06:13 PM   #6
NYCBOB
Registered Member

u dont want them in ur tank. they grow very fast. i hv so many of it that i throw out rocks just to get rid of it.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2017, 01:59 PM   #7
TokiHacker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBOB View Post
u dont want them in ur tank. they grow very fast. i hv so many of it that i throw out rocks just to get rid of it.
share? I wouldn't mind having some. lol.