Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2017, 11:35 AM   #1
laga77
Registered Member

9 Day Cycle

I had a 20G tank set up for a small Anglerfish. Unfortunately, after a month of doing really well, he got ich or velvet and died. I tried treating with CP in a HT but still lost him. Since it is a small tank, I replaced the gravel with new and installed a reverse flow under gravel filter. The rock that was in there was rinsed and set outside in single digit temps for five days. So starting with dry gravel and rock on 1/9/17 I filled with fresh water at 1.026 SG. I then turned the heater up to 85F and added 30 drops of ammonia hydroxide AKA Janitorial Strength Formula cleaner from Ace hardware. Ammonia hydroxide is ammonia and water. This amount measured 2ppm on the API test. To this, 2 oz of Aquavitro Seed was added. The next day, I added 4 oz of Bio-Spira. These amounts of bacteria were used because it was what I had leftover from cycling my 120G FOWLR last year. That tank took 12 days to cycle. It took 2 days for the ammonia to go to zero and the nitrite to spike to 5ppm. Then, each day I added another 30 drops of ammonia. Each morning the ammonia tested zero and the nitrite was 5ppm until day 8 when the nitrite dropped to .25ppm. Today is day 9 and the ammonia and nitrite are zero and nitrate is 25ppm. The heater is removed and when the temp comes down I will go to the LFS and get a Damsel and a Peppermint shrimp to maintain the tank until I can find another Angler. This is the 8th tank I have cycled in the past 6 years. All used ammonia and some kind of bottled bacteria. The larger tanks also had some live rock from an existing sump. This was the shortest time at 9 days. The longest was 20 days for my Seahorse tank. That was because it did not have a heater and the temp never got over 74F. Temp definitely speeds up the cycle.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 10:30 AM   #2
jewlz
Registered Member

What were you using as your ammonia additive? From a hardware store, or something else?

jewlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 10:35 AM   #3
laga77
Registered Member

The ammonia came from Ace hardware. 1 quart for $3. For the 20G tank over the 9 days it took 95 drops. Yesterday I purchased a Damsel and he is doing fine so far. I will add a drop or two a day until I put something else in the tank to maintain the bacteria.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
Unread 01/20/2017, 10:46 AM   #4
jmm
Registered Member

I use TTM, Prazipro, and Formalin for new arrivals and then put them in a quarantine/observation tank that I cycled with ammonia and Dr. Tim's bacteria (12 days). They're in there for 5 weeks or longer with cleaner shrimp. When the fish and cleaner shrimp go to the display tank, I maintain the quarantine tank with ammonia every 3 or 4 days.

jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 05:09 PM   #5
Mishri
Registered Member

I wouldn't add ammonia once you have a fish in there.. unnecessary.. I've had 0 day cycles.. using all live rock from an established tank my 40B with rock from tampa bay saltwater was a fast one too.. I think 7 days.

once you have bacteria established they can quickly multiply, just watch ammonia and nitritate once you ad the angler.. in my experience unless you have a tiny tank/filtration for the bio load then you wont even register ammonia. for my 300 I wont bother doing anything to prep it.. just have rocks/sand in it and slowly add fish.. (first fish will be pair of clowns). My QT I do prep with ammonia.

Unread 01/20/2017, 06:40 PM   #6
laga77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishri View Post
I've had 0 day cycles
So Have I in a 29G nano with 25# of live rock.. It is totally different when using all dry rock and gravel. The Damsel will not produce enough waste to maintain such a large bacteria colony. It is easier to add as drop or two of ammonia than dump extra food. The extra food will stay in there and can lead to an algae bloom later. I can control nitrates with water changes then. I am just proving that a cycle doesn't have to take a month.

Unread 03/08/2017, 10:09 AM   #7
aquamann183
Registered Member

Just out of curiosity, if you're using biospira why is it necessary to add ammonia? Why can't you just add the biospira and watch your parameters?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

aquamann183 is offline   Reply With Quote