Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2017, 07:48 AM   #1
otrips
Registered Member

Black box or something else?

Tank is 36"x18" in wall leaving the front 4" blocked by the wall itself. Currently have a Orbit Marine led which provides good coverage but isn't bright enough to support much. Would a black box type light provide enough spread up front with it having to be up higher? How low can it go? Or is there a better inexpensive option for my situation?

otrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 09:11 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I ran 2 black boxes on a 72" tank roughly 10" off the water and the edges/sides were just fine (yes not as bright but thats where you place your lower light corals,etc..... So yes.. 1 black box should do just fine..

Unread 01/19/2017, 10:30 AM   #3
otrips
Registered Member

I guess I should ask if you placed something 4-5" wide on the top/lid of the tank blocking the light would it look really weird under that? Or would the individual less not under that part have enough spread to make it look ok? Not planing on growing anything right up front just don't want it to look weird knowing how directional leds can be.

Unread 01/19/2017, 11:08 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

It should be fine IMO..
There will be enough spread so corals could be placed on the sand right up against the front of the glass if needed....

Unread 01/19/2017, 12:21 PM   #5
otrips
Registered Member

Ok great that was my biggest concern. I think I'll start off with one and see how that goes. Worst case I buy a second. Now with so many out there by the time I find one I like with a good spectrum a new ones will come out and I'll have to start my search all over again. lol

Another question, I'm using egg crate to keep my snails from going overboard. Can I keep it or should I look into something else?

Thanks!

Unread 01/19/2017, 03:31 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

egg crate is "ok" but it does block quite a bit light and will cause the LED spread to be even worse..

I'd make a screen top from here..
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sumps-...reen-tops.html

Unread 01/19/2017, 03:33 PM   #7
scybulski
Registered Member

heard bad things about Blackbox for long term success. however the price looks good. I guess it comes to what you are trying to accomplish. Currently running ReefBrite XHO leds

scybulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 03:35 PM   #8
scybulski
Registered Member

mcgyr

love the screens also... have them on the 90 reef. thinking about putting them on the 125 FOWLR that has glass.

one thing to keep in mind is that I found the frame and corners at homedepot. They did not have the screen however they had everything else...

scybulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 03:50 PM   #9
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scybulski View Post
heard bad things about Blackbox for long term success. however the price looks good. I guess it comes to what you are trying to accomplish. Currently running ReefBrite XHO leds
There are a few different configurations and some are better then others..

I have 5 of these and are nearing two years . many others have them as well.
https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-...ectra+aquarium
Even some of the newer mars aqua lights are better then the original ones..

The thing to remember its the internet People usually flock to forums to complain about issues they have with a product more then brag about what they bought. Especially on here where there are so many who believe that if you do not buy the TOP Price product your buying junk.

With that said yes there are some of the so called black boxes that can even be dangerous.. i would say get them from amazon or somewhere you trust.

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 10:53 PM   #10
Dans85
Registered Member

Good info here. I'm picking up a 65g next Friday and was wondering about the black box lights also. I'll probably get a wifi model.

Dans85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2017, 11:16 PM   #11
Dans85
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
There are a few different configurations and some are better then others..

I have 5 of these and are nearing two years . many others have them as well.
https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-...ectra+aquarium
Even some of the newer mars aqua lights are better then the original ones..

The thing to remember its the internet People usually flock to forums to complain about issues they have with a product more then brag about what they bought. Especially on here where there are so many who believe that if you do not buy the TOP Price product your buying junk.

With that said yes there are some of the so called black boxes that can even be dangerous.. i would say get them from amazon or somewhere you trust.
Do these ramp up and down or does it just have a timer?

Unread 01/20/2017, 06:38 AM   #12
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans85 View Post
Do these ramp up and down or does it just have a timer?
Like the OceanRevive and one Reef Breeders fixture, they have built-in timers that will turn each channel (white or blue) on and off. They do not ramp to do sunrise or sunset. They do, however, have digital dimmers with 1% increments. So it's better than dimmer knobs and add on timers, but no, it's not a controller fixture.

Unread 01/20/2017, 06:39 AM   #13
otrips
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
OMG! Why didn't I think of that. One of my contractor suppliers sells the exact same netting. I don't quite need an 1/4 mile of it though. lol

Unread 01/20/2017, 06:44 AM   #14
otrips
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Lover99 View Post
Sorry nvm my light is 48inch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
36-48" or 48-60"?

Unread 01/20/2017, 07:02 AM   #15
Fish_Lover99
Registered Member

48-60inch

Fish_Lover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 07:12 AM   #16
otrips
Registered Member

I guess that's where I'm at. A ramp timer would be awesome, it's more natural & doesn't startle the fish. But he price for a decent light that can ramp is way beyond my budget.
Wifi sounds nice but how often would I really use it once it's set up?
A built in timer isn't a requirement but would be nice, I'd pay $20 for that feature instead of a 2 plug light & 2 $10 digital timers.
One thing most seem to be lacking is UV light. I suppose I could swap out a couple diodes if I wanted.

Unread 01/20/2017, 07:38 AM   #17
Fish_Lover99
Registered Member

The light has all the things but I don't know about UV but I'm selling it for $275 they retail for $330

Unread 01/20/2017, 07:40 AM   #18
Dans85
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otrips View Post
I guess that's where I'm at. A ramp timer would be awesome, it's more natural & doesn't startle the fish. But he price for a decent light that can ramp is way beyond my budget.
Wifi sounds nice but how often would I really use it once it's set up?
A built in timer isn't a requirement but would be nice, I'd pay $20 for that feature instead of a 2 plug light & 2 $10 digital timers.
One thing most seem to be lacking is UV light. I suppose I could swap out a couple diodes if I wanted.
I believe that some of the wifi models do simulate sunrise and sunset and you can set moonlighting as well.

Unread 01/20/2017, 08:46 AM   #19
otrips
Registered Member

Quote:
I believe that some of the wifi models do simulate sunrise and sunset and you can set moonlighting as well.
From what I understand the sunrise/sunset feature on the black boxes simply means you can set individual times for each channel. Meaning blue on before white, white off before blue. Not actual ramping.
If you come across something different please let me know.

Unread 01/20/2017, 05:11 PM   #20
Dans85
Registered Member

Quote:
From what I understand the sunrise/sunset feature on the black boxes simply means you can set individual times for each channel. Meaning blue on before white, white off before blue. Not actual ramping.
If you come across something different please let me know.
That's good to know. I'll look into it more.

Unread 01/20/2017, 06:00 PM   #21
otrips
Registered Member

I'm looking into some things now.
I can't find any with an actual ramp timer but it appears a couple of the new WiFi lights have an app which allows you to program around 20 different times & intensities so in essence you could step up & down the intensity which would work great.
I'm reaching out to one of the manufactures in China directly as it appears pretty much every E-bay light is dropped shipped from CA & none of the sellers have any clue what they are actually trying to sell.

Unread 01/20/2017, 06:08 PM   #22
Fish_Lover99
Registered Member

I don't know what size tank you have but I have a current USA orbit marine led for 48-60 inch and has a remote where you can program the light to do almost anything you want..

Unread 01/20/2017, 10:08 PM   #23
Dans85
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm looking into some things now.
I can't find any with an actual ramp timer but it appears a couple of the new WiFi lights have an app which allows you to program around 20 different times & intensities so in essence you could step up & down the intensity which would work great.
I'm reaching out to one of the manufactures in China directly as it appears pretty much every E-bay light is dropped shipped from CA & none of the sellers have any clue what they are actually trying to sell.
Most of the ones that I found are that way. I did fine one that does thunderstorms and clouds, but they look quite a bit different so I'm not sure how they would compare. I believe these will ramp up and down like a PWM controlled light would. Here's the link. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Wifi-Controlle....c100408.m2460

Honestly I think the ones without the ramp timer would work just fine for me. I have a diy light that I built with a storm controller and I never have the thunderstorm mode or the cloud mode turned on. I would just like it to ramp on and off and have moon lighting.

Unread 01/21/2017, 03:26 AM   #24
otrips
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Lover99 View Post
I don't know what size tank you have but I have a current USA orbit marine led for 48-60 inch and has a remote where you can program the light to do almost anything you want..

Tank is 36". I have the 36-48" version. I love the ramp timer, could care less about the weather. I want to upgrade to support other corals.

Unread 01/21/2017, 03:54 AM   #25
otrips
Registered Member

Quote:
Most of the ones that I found are that way. I did fine one that does thunderstorms and clouds, but they look quite a bit different so I'm not sure how they would compare. I believe these will ramp up and down like a PWM controlled light would. Here's the link. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Wifi-Controlle....c100408.m2460

Honestly I think the ones without the ramp timer would work just fine for me. I have a diy light that I built with a storm controller and I never have the thunderstorm mode or the cloud mode turned on. I would just like it to ramp on and off and have moon lighting.
Interesting light. Nice to see them attempting to incorporate UV light. Only 40 3w leds. They recommend 2 for a 28" tank which is concerning.
I could care less about weather options, I never use them on my light now. Sunrise sunset weather it ramp or step I'd like to have as it's more natural. I think full on/off kinda startles everything.