Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2017, 09:30 AM   #1
yankeeslover
Registered Member

Suspended Particles.. no sump..any ideas how to fix?

75 gallon reef... sand bottom.. eshopps 100 hob skimmer.. tank looking good.. only issues im having is the water is never crystal clear.. there is always suspended particles in the water. I have zero room for a sump.. any ideas on how i can remove this? i am not using any mechanical filtration. I was considering getting a canister filter but im always reading they are a nitrate factory. I already have nitrates running around 20 ppm.... im mostly softies in tank... two clown fish and a one spot foxface...i feed lightly once per day.... water change every two weeks.
I have plenty of LR... and running a reactor with both gfo and activated carbon... Tank has been up and running around 18 months now. only issue that is driving me up a wall is the constant small suspended particles.... btw, i have plenty of flow..lots of water movement.. I have no doubt that the particles are coming from LR, Sand.... but i have no idea how to filter them out.. any suggestions would be great.. thank you..

yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Radioheadx14
Registered Member

I have and use a Tunze Comline Filter 3162 for a tank without a sump. It pulls in water from the surface, so it will reduce/eliminate the surface gunk, and you can put in filter floss and carbon to clear up your water. as a bonus, if you have a tunze osmolator topoff, the sensors can be installed in the filter to hide/protect them.

Radioheadx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 09:45 AM   #3
75mixedreef
Registered Member

If you have one on hand you could stuff a hang on back filter with filter floss and run that for a while until it clears up. Otherwise, you could siphon off a large portion of your water through a filter sock and into a bucket. Just put the water back in the tank when you are done.

75mixedreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 09:50 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-D-1-Di.../dp/B0002602SW
For intermittent use.

Unread 01/20/2017, 09:59 AM   #5
yankeeslover
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioheadx14 View Post
I have and use a Tunze Comline Filter 3162 for a tank without a sump. It pulls in water from the surface, so it will reduce/eliminate the surface gunk, and you can put in filter floss and carbon to clear up your water. as a bonus, if you have a tunze osmolator topoff, the sensors can be installed in the filter to hide/protect them.
This is very interesting, i have never seen these before and might be what the dr ordered.. question. can i run my GFO in this also? help eliminate the pump for the reactor that is unsightly? and does this also filter from the bottom or only the top? i have a lot of water movement on the top of the tank..this looks very interesting. plus a place for my heater..

yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 10:27 AM   #6
Kim14701
Registered Member

For a quick remedy cut the bottom off a 2 litter bottle or 20oz bottle )depending on the size of your power heads). Stuff it with filter floss and secure it to the powerhead. I used a hole punch in the bottle and zip tied it to the powerhead. It should clear up your tank greatly in 30 mins to an hour. I have done it in the past when I messed with rock work and disturbed my sandbed and made a general mess of the water. It's good to stuff active carbon in also if you ever have the need for it.

Kim14701 is offline   Reply With Quote