Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2017, 09:41 AM   #1
Bontrager
Registered Member

distilled water vs RO water

is it the same, more or less? getting reading to set up my new IM 20 gal nuvo.

I have an RO system but I like the convenience of going to my local Giant eagle and buying distilled water at .89 per gallon. I think that distilling removes the minerals but won't the salt mix ( reef crystals) and them back?

Thank you.

Bontrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 09:48 AM   #2
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bontrager View Post

I have an RO system but I like the convenience of going to my local Giant eagle and buying distilled water at .89 per gallon. I think that distilling removes the minerals but won't the salt mix ( reef crystals) and them back?

Thank you.
RO/DI also removes the minerals. You want to start with nothing in the water as the salt mix is calibrated to include everything you need.

I am not sure how much you will be evaporating in a tank like that but you may be able to get away with it. I would not as I evaporate almost a gallon a day in my 90.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 10:01 AM   #3
hann1bal
Registered Member

Distilled means to boil to vaporize. After the condensation is collected it is without all the contaminants that didn't boil out.

So basically everything that has a boiling point below water (212F) should be removed but things that boil at that temperature or lower will likely still be present.

TLDR: The guy above me is right - RO/DI is the way to go but I have a friend who had success with distilled water for years.

hann1bal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 12:06 PM   #4
jgln
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bontrager View Post

Thank you.
Huh, my reason for getting an RO/DI unit was because of the trouble of going to the store and hauling water home.

Current Tank Info: 125g reef with 30g sump/fuge
jgln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 08:13 PM   #5
rsepiphyte
Registered Member

I have used distilled for sometime without any problems. It is easier for me to purchase as well.

rsepiphyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 06:07 AM   #6
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I used distilled water for a long time with no issues. Now I have a 1000gpd RO/DI system, but I'm willing to let my water run until my TDS readings get into the 20's or 30's before I change the DI. But then there are people who use low TDS tap water with no issues as well. A friend of mine uses aerated well water with a TDS that averaged about 100 TDS and he has nice sps and lps in a 200g tank. If your water doesn't have any heavy metals like copper or lead, and distilled water shouldn't, you'll be fine.

The zero TDS guys around here are a bit over the top about not having anything in the water IMHO.

Last edited by Ron Reefman; 01/21/2017 at 06:14 AM.
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 08:48 AM   #7
rlhanks
Registered Member

My community well here gives us a TDS of 450-500. That sounds bad but that's nothing to worry about compared to the pool chlorine their pumping into it. Sometimes washing my hands it smells like pool water. Filtration here is a must. Whole house Pelican carbon, softener, RO for consumption and DI for reef.

Funding for this hobby is supplied by our friends at Generous Motors

Most equipment are DIY

Current Tank Info: 5'x2'x2', BLDC7, maxspect gyre250, T5HO and LED's, Home made welded steel tubular stand wrapped in wood work.
rlhanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2017, 12:24 PM   #8
Bontrager
Registered Member

Thank you guys for your opinions

Bontrager is offline   Reply With Quote