Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2017, 12:51 PM   #1
somebloke
Registered Member

Skimmer scammers?

Skimmers. Why the hell do they cost so much? They're simple devices and should be cheap to manufacture. You'd think they have onboard microcontrollers and perform robotic dances. I'm generally not a price whiner but in the skimmer market something seems "off." Cabal?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

somebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Jscwerve
Registered Member

Free market economics. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It's an expensive hobby, therefore the more expensive skimmer is better, right? If enough people buy it, then it becomes artificially worth that amount, no matter how ridiculous.

Just like art.

Jscwerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 01:04 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes some are overpriced like an Apple product..
Others are actually very reasonable now IMO..

And many do have onboard microcontrollers now... (DC pump controllers)

Unread 01/20/2017, 01:11 PM   #4
75mixedreef
Registered Member

There is also the matter of production quantities. They simply to not make and sell enough of them to justify a high efficiency manufacturing process. Those quantities would also drive down the relative overhead costs, making each skimmer cheaper to produce. There is a pretty good margin on these, but I wonder what their profits really look like after you include their fixed costs. It might not be as high as you think, but it could be higher too.

Keep in mind though, that you do not absolutely have to have a skimmer. I don't and in my upgrade I'm using an ATS and a fuge to control the nutrients. For me it is more fun and more efficient since I like running with my water a little dirtier to feed the corals. I just know I need to avoid risks that could add too many nutrients too quickly and nuke the tank if they died, like a sea cucumber or large nems. Staying on top of outbreaks and blooms will be key though, so I will have to be ready to do large water changes.

75mixedreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 01:15 PM   #5
ericarenee
Registered Member

EVERY Product or service is Too much money, Unless its me providing the service or product then its never enough..

Just a example

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Most of the skimmers that are expensive are also hand casted and assembled. Not the pump, but the acrylic body. So people who built those have small special casts that they use to produce these bodies (no factory based mass production here, mostly small workshops that can produce 10-20 units a day at max). It is hard to built something curved out of acrylic let alone cylinders,funnels and concave bodies that all modern "expensive" skimmers have.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 01:19 PM   #7
jgln
Registered Member

For me it was just easier to buy one than to try and build one. Between research, time and parts to me it was not really a rip-off. One thing I don't know where you would buy or build is the part that creates the fine bubbles that makes the foam. Not rocket science but I wonder if you can buy that part?

Current Tank Info: 125g reef with 30g sump/fuge
jgln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 01:24 PM   #8
somebloke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
For me it was just easier to buy one than to try and build one. Between research, time and parts to me it was not really a rip-off. One thing I don't know where you would buy or build is the part that creates the fine bubbles that makes the foam. Not rocket science but I wonder if you can buy that part?
I hear you - yeah time is money. It was just a mild rant. I'm probably going to check our local "club" for a used one

Unread 01/20/2017, 01:27 PM   #9
somebloke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
EVERY Product or service is Too much money, Unless its me providing the service or product then its never enough..

Just a example
Nah, you have monopolies, cartels, and the irrationality of consumers....the enlightenment ideal of automatic rational progress hasn't borne out in practice

Unread 01/20/2017, 01:29 PM   #10
somebloke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Most of the skimmers that are expensive are also hand casted and assembled. Not the pump, but the acrylic body. So people who built those have small special casts that they use to produce these bodies (no factory based mass production here, mostly small workshops that can produce 10-20 units a day at max). It is hard to built something curved out of acrylic let alone cylinders,funnels and concave bodies that all modern "expensive" skimmers have.
That's a good point about curved components. I'm sure it all could and would be factory-automated of the demand were high enough....if we can build a microprocessor and land a rover on mars, we can automate the build of a skimmer....but I hear ya.

Unread 01/20/2017, 01:30 PM   #11
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
You can make your own skimmer, we used to built our own skimmers before things become accessible to home users. For a very long time only, places like public aquariums had professionally made skimmers.

To create bubbles you will need a pump that sucks in both water and air. Any pump with a strong enough suction would suck in air with water if you connect an air tube to the water intake. This will intrinsically create some bubbles as the air/water mixture pass through the pump propeller. If you want to further reduce the size of the bubbles for better water/air contact, you can add a second separate propeller to the outlet of the pump that rotates at a much faster RPM than the pump's . You might also add some fishing lines between the blades of the propeller so it cuts trough the bubbles and makes them even smaller. Congratulations, you made a very simple venturi skimmer pump! . Final step is to add a bubble plate so the rising bubbles are evenly distributes. Connect this to a long tube with a neck that tank water passes through and a collection cup on top and you will have a skimmer.

Last edited by Tripod1404; 01/20/2017 at 01:42 PM.
Unread 01/20/2017, 01:36 PM   #12
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebloke View Post
That's a good point about curved components. I'm sure it all could and would be factory-automated of the demand were high enough....if we can build a microprocessor and land a rover on mars, we can automate the build of a skimmer....but I hear ya.

Yeah exactly, the ones that are a bit cheaper are produced in a more "automated" way. The critical issue here is the demand. Would you invest in a factory that costs 5-10 million dollars just to produce something that would have a market demand of couple of thousands of units a year at best? It is just more practical to use workshops and human labor for this.

Unread 01/20/2017, 01:46 PM   #13
Voodoojar
Registered Member

Not to get specific but a brand new bubble magnus curve 5 is like $110 buck on fishstreet. Thats an awesome skimmer and not expensive.

The entire world functions in the exact same was as the skimmer market I dont know why you're surprised.

Voodoojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 01:58 PM   #14
somebloke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoojar View Post
Not to get specific but a brand new bubble magnus curve 5 is like $110 buck on fishstreet. Thats an awesome skimmer and not expensive.

The entire world functions in the exact same was as the skimmer market I dont know why you're surprised.
Thanks for the lead, checking it out!!!

In the same way, sure, but the level of distortion varies with the influence of market control and collective hysteria.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Unread 01/20/2017, 02:00 PM   #15
Sk8r
RC Mod

Make your own.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 02:12 PM   #16
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Many ways.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-s...3578/3669/3671

https://premiumaquatics.com/products...r-34-male.html

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/...uct=PS-PMBLTR2

https://www.dripworks.com/drip-irrig...ei%20injectors

https://premiumaquatics.com/products...mmer-pump.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_...WPSBRP-vi.html

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 03:14 PM   #17
somebloke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Make your own.
I would but I'm too steeped in node.js code on my diy aquarium monitor/controller

Unread 01/20/2017, 03:22 PM   #18
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebloke View Post
I would but I'm too steeped in node.js code on my diy aquarium monitor/controller

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1017691&page=2

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1386605

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 01/20/2017, 03:26 PM   #19
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

In some cases you do get really good build quality for your $$; in other cases it IS overpriced extruded junk.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 07:23 PM   #20
jason2459
Registered Member

Price is all relative. To some Royal Exclusive is insanely priced for what you get. For some the price was well worth it for what they got. Who's wrong? Depends on who you ask.

Unread 01/20/2017, 07:28 PM   #21
xanthurum
Registered Member

I don't think they are that expensive. Especially considering they are one of the most important pieces of equipment.

Current Tank Info: You want to know just ask
xanthurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 07:34 PM   #22
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthurum View Post
I don't think they are that expensive. Especially considering they are one of the most important pieces of equipment.
Keep in mind some people don't think so and some people don't use a skimmer at all and some believe they do more harm then good.

Unread 01/20/2017, 11:01 PM   #23
BigDave
Registered Member

How often do you buy a skimmer?

It's a lot like mattresses. You only buy one ever bazillion years... so they cost more because of that. If you bought a new one every month they'd be cheaper.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 11:39 PM   #24
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
How often do you buy a skimmer?

It's a lot like mattresses. You only buy one ever bazillion years... so they cost more because of that. If you bought a new one every month they'd be cheaper.
Or you're like me and buy one every 1-2 years or less because you have fun trying and testing them out. Though my current one has so much flexibility it may last me a while (besides being the best performer by far...) I've already done quite a bit of testing and changes with it and plans for many more.

Unread 01/21/2017, 09:58 AM   #25
Timfish
Registered Member

Well, just so you know there's differences of opinion and expierence, I decided 20 years ago they were useless. And I found it an amusing confirmation later that of the two oldest coral farmers in the US (Steve Tyree and Tropicorium) had come to the same conclusion at the same time and as well Julian Sprung stopped using skimmers in the late '90s. But if you still believe one is necessary here's Feldman, et al, review of skimmers, note their conclusion is "bubbles are bubbles":

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 1
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 2
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature

And I find it curious that even though their research has provided the skimmer manufacturers two different potential metrics letting consumers be able to objectively compare one model or brand to another like they can with pumps (gph) or lights (Kelvin, Par), no one has adopted them.