Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2018, 09:51 AM   #1
Beakman
Registered Member

Is there anything wrong with a simple 2 baffle sump?

A while back, as my first foray into having a sump, I built a very simple sump that had 3 chambers. 1 baffle placed 1/3rd of the way across the sump, the other places 2/3rds across. With about a 2” height difference between them.

That was it. No over unders, no filter sock holders, etc.

I told myself that when it was time to upgrade I would design something much more sophisticated. But now that the time is here, and I’ve planned out the more sophisticated sump that includes over unders and a horizontal glass piece with holes for filter socks, I can’t see any reason why this setup will achieve any of my specific needs better than just having 2 single glass piece baffles.

All I really want is a place to put my heaters, my HOB skimmer, and grow chaeto.

Important note in my case: I’m using a reef octopus HOB skimmed that has a built in bubble trap in the body, so I don’t really need baffles for a bubble trap.

I guess my main question is: if I can do this in a very simple and inexpensive way that will meet my needs, is there anything obvious that I’m missing that will make me regret having this kind of sump?

Beakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 11:34 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

How do you plan to keep the cheato out of the skimmer?.
While a 2 chamber will work just fine for a non-fuge setup once you want to have a fuge in it thats best placed where there is no skimmer or return pump for it to get clogged in

If microbubbles wont be a problem then over/under setups arent really needed...I have all simple baffles in my sump but enough chambers to keep everything separated..

Unread 10/14/2018, 12:52 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

I have 3 compartments. Drain from DT, middle for pump to external skimmer and ATS, 3rd for return to DT and ATO sensor, my ca reactor also flows into the 3rd chamber

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 01:30 PM   #4
Beakman
Registered Member

The skimmer will hang on the side of the tank in the first chamber, where the water from the tank flows into. The 2nd chamber will be the refugium where the chaeto is.

On my previous setup, I affixed some egg crate onto the 2nd baffle so the chaeto didn’t flow over into the return chamber.

Unread 10/14/2018, 02:54 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

You should have a sperate return chamber as the level in that chamber will change as a result of evaporation and the other chambers will stay at a constant level which is best for maintaining consistent level in the skimmer.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 10/14/2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Beakman
Registered Member

The 3rd chamber is the dedicated return pump chamber. If I wasn’t posting from my phone I’d post a quick mspaint drawing

Chamber 1: water flows in from display tank, protein skimmer, heaters

Chamber 2: Refugium with chaeto. Egg crate at end of chamber to prevent chaeto from flowing into chamber 3

Chamber 3: return pump and auto top off sensor

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Unread 10/14/2018, 03:16 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakman View Post
The 3rd chamber is the dedicated return pump chamber. If I wasn’t posting from my phone I’d post a quick mspaint drawing

Chamber 1: water flows in from display tank, protein skimmer, heaters

Chamber 2: Refugium with chaeto. Egg crate at end of chamber to prevent chaeto from flowing into chamber 3

Chamber 3: return pump and auto top off sensor

Thanks for all the feedback so far!
Maybe I don't understand. If the only sepreation between chambers 2 and 3 is the egg crate, than it is only 2 chambers.

Unread 10/14/2018, 03:54 PM   #8
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
You should have a sperate return chamber as the level in that chamber will change as a result of evaporation and the other chambers will stay at a constant level which is best for maintaining consistent level in the skimmer.
This, which will be important if you ever decide to change out your HOB skimmer.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 04:43 PM   #9
Beakman
Registered Member

Sorry the egg crate is an EXTRA piece that is pushed up against the glass baffle

Unread 10/14/2018, 07:04 PM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I clearly wasnt reading well earlier today...

Unread 10/16/2018, 08:29 AM   #11
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

none of my sumps have ever had baffles. haven't noticed any issues.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote