Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2019, 11:53 AM   #1
zeebies
Registered Member

Need “through the floor” plumbing advice

Finally my cabinet is done and I’m ready to hook things up.

Water station has been moved to the basement. Tank + sump are located in the cabinet on the first floor, directly above the water station in the basement. The plan is to use an Iwaki external pump to get water upstairs.

I can drill a hole through the floor, but then what??

Specifically, I’m trying to figure out what the plumbing should look like as it exits the first floor. From that pipe, Id like to be able to refill the sump after a water change (via a remote). I’d like to also have a port available near the tank so I can dispense saltwater into buckets when needed. I can’t T off the return pump for any of this because that section of the sump doesn’t hold a lot of water.

Water removal will be done mainly in the display using a python, water refill will be in the sump.

I just can’t visualize whether I need a pvc spigot, whether it should be hard or soft plumbed, where it should be attached, etc.

I’ve likely overlooked the simply solution...

Thanks for any help - especially re the questions I didn’t ask!

zeebies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I would not recommend doing it in soft hoses, go rigid. Soft can kink & give grief. It has its uses but id only use it on small items like the ATO or a small drain hose etc..
Rigid plumbing, cleaned & glued properly will last a lifetime if you are not in an Earthquake zone that is.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2019, 02:19 PM   #3
greg10
Premium Member

I used flexible pvc

greg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2019, 02:31 PM   #4
Higher Thinking
Registered Member

Here is my plumbing. It doesn't go to another floor, but rather it plumbs into a closet on the same floor. 4 1" drains and a 1.5" return.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Higher Thinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2019, 03:30 PM   #5
zeebies
Registered Member

Thanks Reeferman and Greg.

Higher Thinking, thanks so much for the pictures! Is the bulkhead on the right side of your sump the only support for your plumbing?

And what do you use the gate valves for?

Unread 10/20/2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Higher Thinking
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebies View Post
Thanks Reeferman and Greg.

Higher Thinking, thanks so much for the pictures! Is the bulkhead on the right side of your sump the only support for your plumbing?

And what do you use the gate valves for?
What do you mean "support" for my plumbing? The far right bulkhead is the return line. The four drains come in through the left panel.

If you are referring to physically supporting the piping then yes. It's the bulkhead and then where it goes into the floor there's foam sealant that holds it.
The gate valves are for reactors. This is what it currently looks like. Calcium reactor and media reactor.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Higher Thinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2019, 04:05 PM   #7
Mache62
Registered Member

Rigid through the floor here as well but then to spa flex for ease of of getting where I want it to go

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Mache62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2019, 04:23 PM   #8
zeebies
Registered Member

HT, yes, I understand your drain and return configuration.

For my application, my pipe will be coming up vertically through the floor, from the SW mixing bin then going over to the sump so I can add new SW.

I’m trying to determine how to build this: Pipe is coming up through the floor. What plumbing attachments would I need to get SW over to the sump, ideally with a valve connected to control flow from the basement and an additional outlet/port for getting SW into small buckets occasionally.

Unread 10/20/2019, 04:27 PM   #9
zeebies
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mache62 View Post
Rigid through the floor here as well but then to spa flex for ease of of getting where I want it to go
Where does the rigid end and spa flex begin? After the spa flex, what do your connectors look like to get SW to your tank? Thanks for the picture.

Unread 10/20/2019, 04:44 PM   #10
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Use a rectangular hole the size of a floor Heat/AC vent.
@- 2 reasons - accommodates piping easier than round holes & can be covered by a grate if you ever have to, providing you buy it.

Unread 10/20/2019, 04:49 PM   #11
billdogg
Registered Member

I used regular PVC to plumb from my basement mixing station up to the DT. What I did was make a hole in the drywall behind where the tank was going and then drill with a long small bit down so that I could then find the right spot to make a larger hole from the bottom up. To make it look nice (as if anyone can see behind the tank) I used an electrical work box and a blank face plate to bring the PVC out into the room. It ends in a PVC spigot with a piece of vinyl tubing going down into the sump. I use a $10 remote control to turn the mixing pump (Mag18) on and off. Works like a charm.

FWIW - I did all the work on a long weekend that the wife was away scrapbooking.

No more buckets for me. I'm getting way too old for that stuff!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2019, 05:06 PM   #12
zeebies
Registered Member

Yes! I’m getting closer now, thanks billdogg. Very similar to what I want to do - especially the “looks nice” part...

You don’t happen to have any pictures, do you?

Do you have a valve on that spigot for either flow control or on/off? I plan on using a remote also but like the idea of a valve too.

Unread 10/20/2019, 06:05 PM   #13
Mache62
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebies View Post
Where does the rigid end and spa flex begin? After the spa flex, what do your connectors look like to get SW to your tank? Thanks for the picture.
The rigid ends just below the ceiling of the basement. The connectors are jus regular PVC connections. I used clamps screwed to the wall where the spa flex starts so I'm not putting any torque on the rigid pipe.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Mache62 is offline   Reply With Quote