Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2017, 06:37 PM   #201
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
My cleaner wrasses survive years much longer than some of the other wrasses dono why they have a bad rep
Most of them will not accept any prepared food so if you've got a small tank or small fish assemblage they will starve. In a large tank with lots of fishes, they will probably do fine and always be able to find food.

The other downside is that they can annoy other fish by constantly trying to clean them. This can stress the other fish, especially if they are from other regions (e.g., Caribbean vs Pacific) where one species would naturally have no exposure to the other.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 06:39 PM   #202
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Most of them will not accept any prepared food so if you've got a small tank or small fish assemblage they will starve. In a large tank with lots of fishes, they will probably do fine and always be able to find food.

The other downside is that they can annoy other fish by constantly trying to clean them. This can stress the other fish, especially if they are from other regions (e.g., Caribbean vs Pacific) where one species would naturally have no exposure to the other.
I had a cleaner wrasse in my last tank which accepted prepared food right away and it was in my tank for two years before I broke it down to move. Now in my current tank, I have another cleaner wrasse and it too ate frozens right away.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 12:08 AM   #203
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Quote:
Most of them will not accept any prepared food so if you've got a small tank or small fish assemblage they will starve.

Every cleaner that i introduced to a system ate my flake mix as long as it can fit in its mouth it will eat it
I have cleaners for years every tank i start with one of them and they all do very well

the only problem i have had is they are jumpers so a tight fitting net on top does the trick

Never had a cleaner wrasse die of starvation

I still don’t know why they have such a bad rep

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 08:24 AM   #204
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Perhaps this has been discussed already before but I'm curious what lights you have about your mangrove area? Beautiful setup!

Unread 08/22/2017, 03:19 AM   #205
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
My cleaner wrasses survive years much longer than some of the other wrasses dono why they have a bad rep
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
I had a cleaner wrasse in my last tank which accepted prepared food right away and it was in my tank for two years before I broke it down to move. Now in my current tank, I have another cleaner wrasse and it too ate frozens right away.
Quote:
Every cleaner that i introduced to a system ate my flake mix as long as it can fit in its mouth it will eat it
I have cleaners for years every tank i start with one of them and they all do very well

the only problem i have had is they are jumpers so a tight fitting net on top does the trick

Never had a cleaner wrasse die of starvation

I still don’t know why they have such a bad rep
My cleaner wrasses is from my old tank, he has been with us for 3 years already. He eats anything, so he is very fat.... My old tank was a rimless so yes, he jumped out of the tank once. Luckily my aunt noticed it and put him back to the tank and he was still alive a kickin. This cleaner wrasse is from east Africa, according to the LFS I purchased from, they are more tough than other cleaner wrasses from different regions (might be sales talk, I have no idea). One thing I noticed though, yes, he did bother some fish to a point that they got ****ed off and started chasing after him. When the rage was over, he started to bother that fish again.... it just goes over and over. The funny thing is that the fish that got bothered seems to let-go of what just happened (short-term memory loss...? lol), it would still spread its fins and let him clean it up once again... and get mad again................. I think he did stress some fish, just like what McPuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom obrecht View Post
Perhaps this has been discussed already before but I'm curious what lights you have about your mangrove area? Beautiful setup!
Those are no-brand LED flood lights sold by one of the LFSs here. 150W each, 10,000K, dimmable, SUPER bright.

yifan917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 03:23 AM   #206
yifan917
Registered Member

how come the system automatically starred the word "p i s s e d"? lol

Unread 08/22/2017, 08:08 AM   #207
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifan917 View Post
how come the system automatically starred the word "p i s s e d"? lol
The site is programmed to perform a search and replace against a list of terms (dictionary). This particular string seems safe but its a subjective call. You'll see the same result using clearly offensive terms as well.

Unread 09/01/2017, 08:50 AM   #208
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
The site is programmed to perform a search and replace against a list of terms (dictionary). This particular string seems safe but its a subjective call. You'll see the same result using clearly offensive terms as well.

I see, no wonder!

Yifan

Unread 09/01/2017, 08:53 AM   #209
yifan917
Registered Member

New addition! I am really a wrasse freak!

Yifan

Unread 09/01/2017, 02:33 PM   #210
GSMclowns
A Reef Enthusiast

That's one beautiful fish..
What is the name of that wrasse?

·´Ż`·.¸. , . .·´Ż`·.. >((((ş>
GSMclowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2017, 03:03 PM   #211
txdragonslayer
Registered Member

Quote:
Okay.... here are some changes I might make due to several reasons. Feedback are more than welcome.

First is the design of frag and mangrove system - instead of having them situated across the fish room, I decided to make them into one "L" shaped tank. The reason is that I want to reduce plumbing work and I was kinda worried about the slow flow rate when water flows back (gravity) to the main sump under the DT. Also, the L shaped layout provides a better working space in the fish room.
I also scratched the idea of using my old tank and the tank made by scrapped acrylic material. Whichever design I decide to go with, both tanks will be brand new and made by glass.

Original plan:

New plan:

The widths of the L shaped tank should both be 75cm ^^^^^ made a mistake in the drawing.

Secondly, I am VERY tempted to install AI Hydra 52 HDs as part of the lighting system. I should be able to cut down MHs from 10 units to 5 if I do this. The fish room will be much cooler with just 5 MHs, and the AI app is just surprisingly easy to use. Here is an illustration - 12 Hydras, 5 MH, and 8 VHOs (4 feet each)

I was very against LEDs at the beginning, because I just couldn't stand the disco ball effect, and the shimmers just look too artificial to my eyes. However, a friend of mine suggested 52HD and I gave it a try on my holding tank in conjunction with one 400W MH and four 4' T5s. The disco ball effect was pretty much gone, and the shimmering doesn't feel as rushed when I lid the tank up with 52HD only. Everything seemed pretty blend-in. I sat there and messed around with the AI app for at least an hr and just loved it. I am pretty sure there is a high chance I can hit the sweet spot with this light.

Tried my best to take some pictures with iphone:

ALL ON - except red, green and violet:

White LEDs only - This color looks great to me:

White LED with just an accent of blues:

So these are the possible major changes, please let me know your thoughts.....!
All these pictures are broken

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

txdragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 10:56 AM   #212
Atomic081
Registered Member

Wow. Gorgeous fish!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INDMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 800 Gallon Inwall
Atomic081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 09:08 PM   #213
vikinglord13
Registered Member

Is that a McCosker's flasher wrasse?

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 04:44 AM   #214
ssscuz
Registered Member

Love this build. Mangrove tank has always been on my Wishlist. Thought they were a lot harder to keep but that that setup doesn't look to difficult.
Do they manually have to be sprayed with fresh water or will you automate this?

ssscuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 08:50 AM   #215
winschuc
Registered Member

Another entry

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

winschuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 08:52 AM   #216
winschuc
Registered Member

Apologies, Please delete, tapatalk loaded slowly and I clicked the wrong thread.

winschuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 08:55 AM   #217
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
New addition! I am really a wrasse freak!

Yifan
Nice wrasse. What genus is it?

Unread 09/07/2017, 09:06 AM   #218
ZicoC
Registered Member

Quote:
Rose-band Fairy Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus roseafascia?

ZicoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 02:53 PM   #219
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZicoC View Post
Thanks for letting me know!

Unread 09/07/2017, 07:59 PM   #220
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdragonslayer View Post
All these pictures are broken

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
OK I am on it..... just need to find the time to do it... haha

Unread 09/07/2017, 08:31 PM   #221
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic081 View Post
Wow. Gorgeous fish!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikinglord13 View Post
Is that a McCosker's flasher wrasse?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZicoC View Post
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know!

Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply.

Yes, it's Cirrhilabrus roseafascia AKA Rose Banded fairy wrasse.
My LFS claims that they haven't encountered this species for the past 10 years, especially a pair of it (male and female)

They were really shy when first introduced to the tank (the male is the biggest fish in the tank, and was hiding from the cleaner wrasse......), they were hiding all the time for the first 2 days, I was worried that if they would just "disappear" forever. The reason might be they are deep water species so they felt insecure with the bright lighting I had. So I adjusted the intensity of my LED lights down to 10%, color up to 20300K (one of the best features about LEDs!) to see if they would swim in open water or not, and THEY DID! So I tripled the amount of frozen mysis and luckily they took them. I am now ramping up my LEDs as they are willing to swim in open water. They also started taking dry food since last night, so that's a good sign!

Unread 09/07/2017, 08:59 PM   #222
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssscuz View Post
Love this build. Mangrove tank has always been on my Wishlist. Thought they were a lot harder to keep but that that setup doesn't look to difficult.
Do they manually have to be sprayed with fresh water or will you automate this?

Thank you!

Yes for now it's manually being sprayed.
I am now designing-an automated sprinkler system, hopefully I'll get it up and running by the end of the month.

For sure it will make life so much easier!

Yifan

Unread 09/07/2017, 10:22 PM   #223
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winschuc View Post
Apologies, Please delete, tapatalk loaded slowly and I clicked the wrong thread.

I don't think I can delete it. No worries!

Unread 09/18/2017, 11:54 AM   #224
yifan917
Registered Member

Islander’s Old School Reef – 900 Gallon Display

Updates:

GHL Profilux 4 is installed, so far controlling ATO, lighting. Will add more features soon such as automated sprinkler system for mangroves, skimmer collection cup self-cleaning heads.

Added six fire gobies, a pair of helfrichi gobies, one male golden rhomboid wrasse

Rose banded wrasses are doing well, not that shy anymore.

Yifan

Unread 09/18/2017, 12:35 PM   #225
James404
I <3 Acros

Beautiful tank and home!