Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2017, 03:45 AM   #1
Woonkie
Registered Member

Durso standpipe gargle

I know there are lots of threads on this. I apologize. I’m new and couldn’t find this question answered.

I got a used tank and the overflow water height is higher then the elbow. Is this what’s causing the gargling? Is the only way to fix it by raising the pipe up? Thanks

Woonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 04:27 AM   #2
Breadman03
New Old School

It's typically due to excess flow. An open channel standpipe can only flow a small amount of liquid before becoming noisy because the liquid clings to the sides of the pipe while the center is air. Try reducing your pump output with a valve on the output.

Read up on open channel standpipes, siphon drains, Herbie and BeanAnimal. You'll find lots of info with those terms.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 06:37 AM   #3
Woonkie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
It's typically due to excess flow. An open channel standpipe can only flow a small amount of liquid before becoming noisy because the liquid clings to the sides of the pipe while the center is air. Try reducing your pump output with a valve on the output.

Read up on open channel standpipes, siphon drains, Herbie and BeanAnimal. You'll find lots of info with those terms.

Thanks. I did notice that. I have to run my pump at the lowest setting. 1 click higher and it starts gargling. I’m just worried it’s not enough flow for my tank size. Would getting a new standpipe that is a bit higher help with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/22/2017, 07:30 AM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

No.. It's the diameter of the pipe and bulkhead that is the issue. A standard Durso style standpipe with a 1" bulkhead can handle, at most, 350gph. A more realistic amount is 250-300gph.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 08:42 AM   #5
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

There is potential to tune a durso by altering the amount of air it is allowed to suck. How you do this depends on the specific durso you have - if it has airline for the air intake you can just put a valve on this. Once you have a control in place, you can set your flow and adjust the air to get the quietest result.

But yes, in the long run, the diameter, number, and style of standpipes will be the limiting flow. With a single standard 1" bulkhead, an adjustable durso is pretty much your best option. I'm a little more optimistic than Bill in terms of flow capacity, but it does depend on tuning and how much noise you are willing to live with. I've had tanks that I thought were noisy that visiting hobbyists thought were pretty quiet, for instance.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 08:45 AM   #6
Woonkie
Registered Member

Thinking about just cutting a piece of acrylic and wrapping it in sound baffling material and covering the overflow box

Unread 09/22/2017, 01:27 PM   #7
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

That can definitely make a difference. Or if it has an airline you can run a silencer on it or run a long line and have the opening in the stand or somewhere else that will suppress the noise.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 01:28 PM   #8
Woonkie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
That can definitely make a difference. Or if it has an airline you can run a silencer on it or run a long line and have the opening in the stand or somewhere else that will suppress the noise.

The previous owner made the hole too large.

Unread 09/22/2017, 01:28 PM   #9
Woonkie
Registered Member

Anyone use a Maggie Muffler? I’m looking into that option now.

Unread 09/23/2017, 05:34 AM   #10
Woonkie
Registered Member

I figured it out.

It needs to be schedule 26 pvc which has a higher flow. Then the pvc needs to be 1 1/4 pvc for a 1 inch bulkhead and a reduced needs to be used at the bottom. I read the do it yourself instructions on the website. Amazing what reading can do!

1 inch schedule 40 pvc doesn’t work right for this

Unread 09/23/2017, 06:13 AM   #11
billdogg
Registered Member

Although that will help some, you are still severely limited by the size of the bulkhead itself. I know this through personal experience, btw. Every single tank I've ever had has used Durso drains due to their simplicity (gravity has yet to fail me)

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 06:17 AM   #12
Woonkie
Registered Member

The big problem I’m having is that the water keeps going over the elbow when it should stop at half way up it. So it makes sense that just the thinner pvc and larger pipe would help. Definitely not looking for a mile. But if I can get a few more inches I think I can get this thing to stop gargling. Then the next step is making the sump more quite. Thinking about lining the cabinet with sound baffling material and covering the back opening with acrylic.

Unread 09/24/2017, 01:34 PM   #13
mrsixstrings12
Registered Member

I had MAJOR noise from the standard durso-style megaflow kit after plumbing up my basement sump. I tried a bunch of mods I saw online and ended up scrapping it all and doing a gurgle buster design. This got rid of the low grumbling noise and to finish it off, I cut the bottom off a plastic soda bottle, drilled a hole in the cap, inserted a 2 foot piece of airline tubing in the hole, and set it over the pipe. All i hear now is a faint trickling sound (approximate 8 foot drop) which could be silenced further by wrapping my pipes with a blanket or something. The trickling is about as loud as my older mp10 wetsides.

mrsixstrings12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
durso, gargle. overflow, noise