Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/22/2016, 12:07 PM   #101
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashawn View Post
SICK clean BUILD!!!

I love the crib more than tank lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarkham View Post
Wow just Wow

yifan917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 12:23 PM   #102
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzman View Post
When are you doing a test run? Do I see threaded bulk heads? Any worries on minor leaks from all those threads (Also salt creap)? I assume the valves are adjusted to accommodate water making it to the top? Are those check valves?
The test run will be early next week. Yes there is a chance it might leak from the threaded bulk heads, finger crossed. I don't have a choice though because I am converting from imperial to metric (bulk heads are all from the US, and other plumbing parts were sourced locally which are all in metric) And apparently this is the only way to do it in Taiwan due to the limited variety of plumbing parts. The ball valves will regulate the water from the closed loop pumps to the tank. Both ball valves and gate valves will also seal the water when I am taking apart the CL pumps for maintenance. The transparent plumbing part you see is the screen / guard for the pump intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjgeese View Post
one word of advice re: all the ball valves. I would install them so they can be removed easily...after a couple of years they will freeze solid w/ calcium carbonate build up...best to remove them every once in a while and give a vinegar bath.
Otherwise, WOW! Nice build!
Yes, I totally agree, unfortunately in my case due to limited space I couldn't install any true union ball valves which are more durable and WAY easier to use than the cheap ball valves that I have installed. You are right, I will need to vinegar bath them once in a while otherwise they will lose the entire function.

Unread 12/22/2016, 12:28 PM   #103
yifan917
Registered Member

Yes, use the true union ball valves if you have the real estate in the plumbing area, I can't use them due to space limitation and lack of supplies. Otherwise I would go with true union ball valves all the way!

Quote:
wjgeese,

I agree. I assumed the reason for using the threaded bulk heads was to make it removable but noticed all three cant untwist together. That said I would place true union ball valve PVC across all bulkheads. Meesee2 and I planed the 850 gallon closed loop with true unions. Primarily since the whole union can be serviced our replaced. (Granted it will cost a small fortune but well worth it). True unions ball valves are far better at moving and adjusting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZMAs_Irj7A

Unread 12/23/2016, 08:44 PM   #104
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

looks awesome! Where in Taiwan are you? I fly into Taipei pretty often and then head to Taichung for business, I could bring you some plumbing bits! haha, It looks like you are in good shape already though.

Have you used that CA reactor before with the Peristaltic pump? Is it designed to run continuously? I have been looking for a peristaltic pump for my calcium reactor and the Masterflex units are huge and very expensive, so an alternative is intriguing!

Keep up the great work, I have pump envy, I have seen those Abyzz pumps in action, quite impressive.

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2016, 07:33 AM   #105
yifan917
Registered Member

Hey that is very nice of you! Thanks inn advance! Yes if you don't mind please pm me when you are coming to Taiwan next time. I am in Taipei and travel to Taichung all the time for work as well.

Yes that peri pump comes with the reactor and it's designed to run continuously. I can probably hook you up with a Mitsubishi peri pump which is quite popular amount the hobbyists here in Taiwan, pm me if you want to find out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
looks awesome! Where in Taiwan are you? I fly into Taipei pretty often and then head to Taichung for business, I could bring you some plumbing bits! haha, It looks like you are in good shape already though.

Have you used that CA reactor before with the Peristaltic pump? Is it designed to run continuously? I have been looking for a peristaltic pump for my calcium reactor and the Masterflex units are huge and very expensive, so an alternative is intriguing!

Keep up the great work, I have pump envy, I have seen those Abyzz pumps in action, quite impressive.

Unread 01/03/2017, 04:29 AM   #106
yifan917
Registered Member

Islander’s Old School Reef – 900 Gallon Display

Hmmm need to move the Cerebra power bars somewhere else, otherwise this panel won't fit at all (still got two more RD 3 controllers, one Calcfeeder controller, and probably a SOS skimmer overflow stopper controller)

Don't know if I mentioned earlier but I got this set of Cerebra for a deal I couldn't refuse, that's why I decided to give it a try. Finger crossed!

Last edited by yifan917; 09/09/2017 at 09:36 AM.
Unread 01/04/2017, 06:35 PM   #107
Ricardo18
Registered Member

I'm sorry to say but those valves will not last more than one year. They will seize up. You should be buying better quality valves even though they are more expensive

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Ricardo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2017, 11:40 PM   #108
yifan917
Registered Member

Yes thanks for the comments, I am going to change them to true union ball valves soon. We figured out a new layout for the plumbing that will allow me to use union ball valves and also save some space. Will post pictures soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo18 View Post
I'm sorry to say but those valves will not last more than one year. They will seize up. You should be buying better quality valves even though they are more expensive

Unread 01/04/2017, 11:43 PM   #109
bigzman
Registered Member

Happy to hear your reconsidered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifan917 View Post
Yes thanks for the comments, I am going to change them to true union ball valves soon. We figured out a new layout for the plumbing that will allow me to use union ball valves and also save some space. Will post pictures soon.
Happy to hear you reconsider true union ball valves. I am using 8 2". You won't regret it.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef lps sps
bigzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2017, 12:52 AM   #110
yifan917
Registered Member

Yes I am sure I won't. Thank you!

Quote:
Happy to hear you reconsider true union ball valves. I am using 8 2". You won't regret it.

Unread 01/05/2017, 04:04 AM   #111
yifan917
Registered Member

Much better

Last edited by yifan917; 09/09/2017 at 09:35 AM.
Unread 01/11/2017, 02:50 PM   #112
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

looks good! I will let you know when I am headed to Taiwan next! I send engineers over there very often, so bringing things there is not a big deal.

That cerebra system will be very cool. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2017, 03:45 PM   #113
FishyFishy69
Registered Member

Amazing build and amazing looking house! Love the mess of plumbing. That's got to be my favorite part of building systems, is intricate plumbing layouts.

Unread 01/14/2017, 04:49 PM   #114
mesee2
Registered Member

Where did u find the Inline screens for your closed look. Once u mentioned what those were it made sense to me as well but I can't seem to find something like that

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mesee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 03:17 AM   #115
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
looks good! I will let you know when I am headed to Taiwan next! I send engineers over there very often, so bringing things there is not a big deal.

That cerebra system will be very cool. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
Thanks in advance then! I look forward to meeting you in Taiwan! I really hope Cerebra will perform well in the future. I'll keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy69 View Post
Amazing build and amazing looking house! Love the mess of plumbing. That's got to be my favorite part of building systems, is intricate plumbing layouts.
Thank you! Yes, plumbing can be frustrating and fun at the same time haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesee2 View Post
Where did u find the Inline screens for your closed look. Once u mentioned what those were it made sense to me as well but I can't seem to find something like that

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
They are made by Schuran for Abyzz, I ordered mine from Abyzz America. Jeff will help you out when you reach their company.

Unread 01/15/2017, 03:20 AM   #116
yifan917
Registered Member

Here comes the old good VHO super actinics

Last edited by yifan917; 09/09/2017 at 09:38 AM.
Unread 01/15/2017, 09:58 PM   #117
bigzman
Registered Member

Keep them

They are proven!!!!

Quote:
Here comes the old good VHO super actinics

Unread 01/18/2017, 07:34 AM   #118
yifan917
Registered Member

In order to maximize the space in the fish room, I have to eliminate as many adaptors (imperial to metric) as possible if I want to use the high quality US true union ball valves. Therefore I have to modify the fittings on the true union valves into half metric and half imperial. Here is a short video just for fun:

Fits like a glove!

This is a lot more work but I think it will definitely pay off in the long run. Thanks Y'all for the suggestions!

Last edited by yifan917; 09/09/2017 at 09:41 AM.
Unread 01/18/2017, 07:39 AM   #119
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
They are proven!!!!
For sure they are!

Unread 01/18/2017, 07:46 AM   #120
bigzman
Registered Member

yifan917, Happy to see you are adding the extra effort to adding the ball valves. You will not regret it. On the 850 we are building we will have 24 true union valves

Unread 01/18/2017, 04:33 PM   #121
Ridgeway Swiss
A Member

Hi Kevin, great to see the build coming a long nicely and sorry I've only just caught up. Promise to visit you at some point this year, just need to find a new customer in TW.

Best regards from Switzerland

Nigel

Ridgeway Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 06:52 AM   #122
yifan917
Registered Member

Quote:
yifan917, Happy to see you are adding the extra effort to adding the ball valves. You will not regret it. On the 850 we are building we will have 24 true union valves
24!!?? Wow!!! That's gonna be awesome, I wish I had the real estate to do that.
Yes, I think I made the right decision, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeway Swiss View Post
Hi Kevin, great to see the build coming a long nicely and sorry I've only just caught up. Promise to visit you at some point this year, just need to find a new customer in TW.

Best regards from Switzerland

Nigel
Hey Nigel, thanks for helping me since the beginning, really appreciate that. We should definitely meet in Taiwan! Just let me know when.

Unread 01/23/2017, 07:04 AM   #123
yifan917
Registered Member

So here is the new plumbing layout and the awesome union valves from The US of A:

Sorting out the wires:

Last edited by yifan917; 09/09/2017 at 09:43 AM.
Unread 01/23/2017, 07:19 AM   #124
bigzman
Registered Member

Plumbing

Quote:
24!!?? Wow!!! That's gonna be awesome, I wish I had the real estate to do that.
Yes, I think I made the right decision, thank you!
I have to admit I think your way is better considering the cost of the oceans motion and extra plumbing. Its a trade off. We saved in Red Dragon pumps but spent a bunch extra on Plumbing and oceans motion.

Unread 01/23/2017, 08:35 AM   #125
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

All I can say is AMAZING !!! Your home renovation and dream tank are both amazing.

Like you, I also run a closed loop and I didn't want to see all the returns pointing forward. The solution turned out to be very simple and is what is used in the big display tanks at Disney Orlando. It's called Polygem 307 lite and I used it to disguise the returns as little cave openings coming out of the rock work. It worked perfectly! It's also by far the best product to epoxy rocks together so you can easily create 'rule of thirds' aquascapes with shapes that inspire and stay secure. It's very strong and natural looking, like live rock, if you don't use any coloring additives. Rub a little sand over the epoxy while it cures and it will blend in with your rock work and add to your already amazing system (and home). You won't regret having this epoxy on hand.

Polygem #307 Lite - 2 Gallon Kit - Sculpting Epoxy Putty

_http://www.polygem.com/products/zoopoxy/sculpting/307-lite-2-gallon-kit-sculpting-epoxy-putty