Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2017, 01:30 AM   #76
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Im only trying to say bs on brs video , someone put up there so cherished radion, I promise I will not trash it when I win..it's still a very nice and fancy , kinda reminds me of old hard drives not many year's back, boy where they expensive, now nothing, phones have more storage, as a business owner that deals w situations as this, I find myself saying ,?? after the model is out? and I broke even? when do I address the customer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited by kenneth wolfe; 09/22/2017 at 01:37 AM.
kenneth wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 01:44 AM   #77
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

The other thing im trying to say if you own a bb build your self a cover out of plexiglass,acrylic and use sugarsand , blast inside of cover, if you can't, send me your covers, prepaid and I will do for free for reefcentral member's and who ever..try for your self and then come to me..wana bet your 800.00 light over a 5 dollar addition..im ready..

Unread 09/22/2017, 01:58 AM   #78
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

All those so called cherished led diodes come from where? Give me a break with your buy home bs, there using your loyalty to push up gross profit margins..large , overpriced junk..I believe most high end light fixtures fall in this category, ati rather overpriced is still a great staple of business tactics...exotect has a lot of new people to feed, have to pay back all that money to designers that , good ones now days keep royalties on there designs..takes a while to pay those back w your not doing them your self..

Unread 09/22/2017, 02:13 AM   #79
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Crazy how so many people are fooled buy everyday tactics of the (new era) of business ..one of my business I advertise in restrooms, its called ( indoor advertising) I'm in over 500 bathrooms in the greater Houston area..for this business im know as the bathroom add guy, most of the price of such item x is advertising and paying people to do things you cant do yourself..if you ever own a business worth salt then you, know. I'm a design engineer buy trade , and own a few different types of business , I take offense to tactics that falsely subject , the poor consumers, trying to learn a already complex hobby and be technically talk into a

800.00 , light over now 65.00 light, they should have never went there..might be my last order w brs, and.I like brs, I thought of them a a trustworthy neutral. Objective sorce , its not the case...sad..so sad..

Last edited by kenneth wolfe; 09/22/2017 at 02:40 AM.
Unread 09/22/2017, 02:18 AM   #80
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Holy **** I sound like trump,,sorry

Unread 09/22/2017, 02:59 AM   #81
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
You can believe what you want to believe. You just don't have any evidence to back up those beliefs and or to at least convince us to follow your belief. Well, except you think one is inherently bad because of its price.

Because the facts are this: BRS clearly stated it wasn't a comparison between the two fixtures. (You seemed to miss this.) They just used the Radion numbers since they just ran those tests with the Radions and they gave us a marker to go off. It showed how laser beam and focused the black box they tested was. Could improvements be made to help that? Yes, and BRS acknowledged that even.

BRS claimed the build quality was poor. Again, this is true. Cheap components and cheap quality equal poor quality. The lenses are even a poor choice showing the company put zero time into testing the fixture. You know why? They don't care if they work. They're cheap and they sell. They don't have to back their products or stand behind them for any reason.

The black box didn't put out a good spread of light. Again, this is a fact. You combat that by running multiple fixtures. Now you have a lot of cords and hanging kit stuff to manage and you've ruined the clean look that LED fixtures can have.

Again, you aren't comparing apples to apples here and just have a personal agenda to push.

Unread 09/22/2017, 03:09 AM   #82
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

I respect everything you said..not my point, add a diffuser then talk, I understand no one likes the boxes but fact of matter is simply build something better, I would say cheaper then...ohh..not cheaper than 65.00 bucks, 800.00 is a rape, im starting to believe rc is to pc for me..it's crazy y'all feal this way..I'm not sure where rc stands, are we for the new hobbiest or just selling bullzhit to uninformed consumers

Unread 09/22/2017, 03:33 AM   #83
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Im a expert in selling bs , why spend my time and energy selling something I don't sell. Its simple if you're reading this you all ready made up your mind on 800.00 vrs 100.00 if your still reading , follow my name, and try and be a better reefer.

Unread 09/22/2017, 03:44 AM   #84
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Many old school reefers that only believe one direction..its ok, kinda sad if you wana know the truth, so many unwilling to grow and let the hobby grow...(set o. There ways) .. I call them old..and im old..47 to be exact...been watching people lose money on fish my whole life..sad...I've been apart of a few large scale hatcherys, 30 acre red fish farm, 100 acre yabby lobster farm, ect.ect.

Unread 09/22/2017, 03:54 AM   #85
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

It's all bs..I run a auto wAter change on my big system, run threw a lot of salt..I use a local lady. Been in business 20+ years I get my salt for cheap as cheap..everyone has a system, bb leds are a great way to get into and stay some what current,many ways to learn how to grow great coral, I will take my 65.00 box over your 800.00 box any day, for me it's a no-brainer...you guys that spend that is truly unrecognizable, I see that and sat absolutely no restraint or knowledge..what about that

Unread 09/22/2017, 04:00 AM   #86
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Its not the lightning , all those talking **** has no clue on lightning.no clue, yes im speaking to all you radion useers..lazy..is all it is..

Unread 09/22/2017, 04:40 AM   #87
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Gees Ken, calm down and step back from the edge!

BTW, I think black box leds are perfectly fine if you want a more basic fixture. The light they produce is just as good as a Radion, IMHO. I used black box leds for 6 years, but I want more features (for my own enjoyment, not for the coral's benefit). So I had to move up one step to what I think is the best value in a fixture with the features I wanted. It's still made in China by a company that makes lots of black box fixtures. But mine doesn't even look like a black box fixture. They (the Chinese) are getting into offering more than the basics and I have to believe they are squeezing some of the high cost fixture market.

Unread 09/22/2017, 05:26 AM   #88
homer1475
Registered Member

Pretty sure this thread should be closed.

All this thread is is one person padding their post count.

I owned 2 300W black boxes for about a year. When my coral started dying from too much light because even apex modded I could not turn them down far enough, I decided cheap knockoff junk wasn't for me anymore. While they do work, in order to make them work more like a higher end fixture there is quite a bit of modding needed. That is fact and the typical buyer isn't going to go through and mod them.

You know whats sad, the fact you keep pushing the BB like there is nothing better out there. No one cares, we all know the pros and cons of them, quit acting like they are the end all and be all in lighting. Even you can admit there are plenty of other better lighting options, if you cant your just delusional.

Ken why all the hate on radions? Thats all you keep mentioning. There is plenty of other LED manufacturers out there.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 06:50 AM   #89
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Bye Felicia!

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 09:26 AM   #90
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Not hate here, on those particular fixtures the point is bs brs video, and all the cheerleaders, what exactly is a post count, you must be a radion consumer, post count, get real..im shocked this post caught so much attention over bs , tells me I hit a nerve and those high dollar fixtures also breed content with oneself,

Unread 09/22/2017, 09:30 AM   #91
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Funniest thing I read so far , I couldn't turn the light down low enough, get for real..

Unread 09/22/2017, 10:08 AM   #92
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth wolfe View Post
Clearly a better light , at what wau do we say this, if the higher end light is 8xs the cost..if it was 300.00 I would say ok not 800.00 ,theres not that much difference for me to justify the 8xs the cost and btw there less than 100.00 now I believe the bare bone boxes are 2 for 165.00 free ship..I just don't see it, that tells me how much markup in the higher end lights, overpriced..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
They also showed that the Radion is clearly a better light -- but it's up to a consumer to decide if that is worth the premium.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 10:18 AM   #93
Potatohead
Registered Member

I'll say it again, thread should be closed.

Pail instead of pale, there instead of their, apostrophes on plurals, multiple elipses, some even with commas, and like seventy-nine posts in a row. Yeah, let's take advice from that guy.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 10:34 AM   #94
EMeyer
Registered Member

The last thing this place needs is more closing of threads because someones opinion rubbed someone else the wrong way.

Posting style aside, the guy has a point.

Besides, whats next -- are we gonna watch some videos from the tobacco companies about whether smoking is bad for you? BRS is a wonderful company but theyve made a video suggesting that we need to buy high priced lights that conveniently enough they sell?

I'm sincerely surprised those videos have received such a positive reaction. Has the concept of conflict of interest been completely lost?

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 11:07 AM   #95
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMeyer View Post
The last thing this place needs is more closing of threads because someones opinion rubbed someone else the wrong way.

Besides, whats next -- are we gonna watch some videos from the tobacco companies about whether smoking is bad for you? BRS is a wonderful company but theyve made a video suggesting that we need to buy high priced lights that conveniently enough they sell?

I'm sincerely surprised those videos have received such a positive reaction. Has the concept of conflict of interest been completely lost?
To your first point, people are welcome to have opinions all they want. I disagree with people on here all the time.

It is the attacks (lazy, delusional, no nothing) to name a few. It is the constant barrage of posts that go no where. It is the constant claims of Ecotech "raping" people. I can understand that English isn't the first language here but he is just trying to start fights. When asked for proof of what he is claiming, he can't provide any. He wants BRS or someone to run the test.

All sense of logic or rational thinking is absent in every post made. Then when he gets called out he immediately assumes people here work for Ecotech or own their "overpriced BS."

To your second point, BRS also sells lights for much less than the Radion. They promote those as well. They weren't comparing this light to a Radion directly. They were simply showing how the Radion tested to give us a marker of what they felt made a good light.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 12:59 PM   #96
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:

There is no conflict. Ryan mentioned at least once that the companies he does deal with asked him not to make this video and he did it anyway. If he wanted to sell these lights, it would take all of ten minutes for him to make a few phone calls and order 10,000 of these things for $60 each, add another color led like violet and offer a warranty to differentiate the product from the rest, and sell them at $119 all day long. That's what a businessman who is only interested in the bottom line would do.

The backlash from the forums on this video and trying to call out BRS etc etc is simply because people don't like it when someone calls them out. The only reason anyone uses these lights is because they are cheap, period.

Unread 09/22/2017, 01:04 PM   #97
EMeyer
Registered Member

You dont seem to get the concept of conflict of interest. BRS profits from the sale of the lights they offer. This presents an obvious conflict of interest for their recommendations about which lights to buy. (And its especially transparent when the light they're criticizing is one they dont sell)

This isnt really up for debate; its only a question of whether people understand the concept of conflict of interest, or not.

People only use the lights cause theyre cheap? Thats called cost benefit analysis. Theyre far cheaper and work almost just as well. A rational cost benefit analysis says there is a place for black boxes.

There will always be people who take pride in buying "top of the line", and talk smack to people who shop for bargains. That is fine and inevitable.

Whats not fine and inevitable is a Ferrari dealer making videos about how Hyundais are bad cars and everyone should buy a Ferrari. or rather, thats actually fine too -- whats not fine (and should be called out) is people taking that video at face value.

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 01:22 PM   #98
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
You dont seem to get the concept of conflict of interest.
EDIT: I'm not getting dragged into this, nevermind. You are bonkers. The video was extremely comprehensive and fair.

Last edited by ktownhero; 09/22/2017 at 01:27 PM.
ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 01:37 PM   #99
smatter
Registered Member

It used to be fun around here

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 02:09 PM   #100
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
You dont seem to get the concept of conflict of interest. BRS profits from the sale of the lights they offer. This presents an obvious conflict of interest for their recommendations about which lights to buy. (And its especially transparent when the light they're criticizing is one they dont sell)

This isnt really up for debate; its only a question of whether people understand the concept of conflict of interest, or not.

People only use the lights cause theyre cheap? Thats called cost benefit analysis. Theyre far cheaper and work almost just as well. A rational cost benefit analysis says there is a place for black boxes.

There will always be people who take pride in buying "top of the line", and talk smack to people who shop for bargains. That is fine and inevitable.

Whats not fine and inevitable is a Ferrari dealer making videos about how Hyundais are bad cars and everyone should buy a Ferrari. or rather, thats actually fine too -- whats not fine (and should be called out) is people taking that video at face value.
Normally I would segment this all out nicely but I am overseas on my phone.

BRS profits from selling lights - Duh?
Criticizing a light they don't sell - Again, if they wanted to sell them, they would.
Cost benefit analysis - To get good performance you gotta pay, that much is clear.
Bad analogy - BRS is not a manufacturer putting down another manufacturer. Your analogy would be like EcoTech making this video, and they didn't. However if MotorTrend wants to call a car a piece of crap, they can certainly do so.
I don't particularly care what anyone buys, it would be nice if people supported western people and jobs but that cat is out of the bag. Just don't go around spouting it's better than the good stuff when it clearly is not.