Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/15/2018, 05:29 PM   #5201
Ashr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
Idk ime loosing heads signifies a water quality issue. I had tons of euphyllia in my last tank and blasted them with both light and flow. Typically they will close up for a few days as they adjust but dying heads is caused by something else. Look at the pic I posted a few posts back of my old sca 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, very odd. I think something happened but unsure. I just ordered all new RO/DI stuff and watching the water closely. But I don't wanna get to far off topic haha
Thanks again for all your help! Ill update this if I have any more questions or concerns

Ashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 06:07 AM   #5202
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashr View Post
Yeah, very odd. I think something happened but unsure. I just ordered all new RO/DI stuff and watching the water closely. But I don't wanna get to far off topic haha

Thanks again for all your help! Ill update this if I have any more questions or concerns

Anytime feel free to send a pm if you need any more help I’m happy to help you troubleshoot.

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 07:36 PM   #5203
andrewbram
Registered Member

Orcas you seem well versed on these hydras. So I have been running the program you have with the resperation breaks. I have run it for a while and I think it's been pretty good but I want to change I think maybe. So on bulk reef they used the spectrometer and came up with
Uv 119
V 116
Rb 79
B 80
Green 4
Red 4
White 19

If you were to run this how many hours peak with 2 or 3 hour ramp. I am sps dominant with 4 Hydra 26hd over a 150 cube. Just considering a little change because my sticks are growing to slow lol.
One other note would you use acclimation mode and at what percentage for how long.

Thank you for all you contribute.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

andrewbram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 08:11 PM   #5204
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbram View Post
Orcas you seem well versed on these hydras. So I have been running the program you have with the resperation breaks. I have run it for a while and I think it's been pretty good but I want to change I think maybe. So on bulk reef they used the spectrometer and came up with
Uv 119
V 116
Rb 79
B 80
Green 4
Red 4
White 19

If you were to run this how many hours peak with 2 or 3 hour ramp. I am sps dominant with 4 Hydra 26hd over a 150 cube. Just considering a little change because my sticks are growing to slow lol.
One other note would you use acclimation mode and at what percentage for how long.

Thank you for all you contribute.

Honestly there is negligible difference between my profiles and the brs one as they are both sub 450nm dominant and have and utilize about 28-32 watts per ai puck. The radion sps AB+ profile also doesn’t have the same violet spike they added to the brs hydra profile (I’m convinced they did that just to show off the HD overdriving feature). On a 150 cube you may just need more power to penetrate the extra depth your working with. In that case I would try removing the respiration peak schedule and go to a 9 hr total photo period with 1 hr ramps (7hrs peak power) and work your way up to 100% uv,v,rb,b and 30-40% cw,r,g. Just remember to increase the cool white channel slowly over a period of a few months as the Cree XP-2 diode is notoriously harsh on sticks. It is a however par monster and penetrates deep tanks very well. Hope this helps and happy reefing

Unread 06/21/2018, 10:58 PM   #5205
andrewbram
Registered Member

Quote:
Honestly there is negligible difference between my profiles and the brs one as they are both sub 450nm dominant and have and utilize about 28-32 watts per ai puck. The radion sps AB+ profile also doesn’t have the same violet spike they added to the brs hydra profile (I’m convinced they did that just to show off the HD overdriving feature). On a 150 cube you may just need more power to penetrate the extra depth your working with. In that case I would try removing the respiration peak schedule and go to a 9 hr total photo period with 1 hr ramps (7hrs peak power) and work your way up to 100% uv,v,rb,b and 30-40% cw,r,g. Just remember to increase the cool white channel slowly over a period of a few months as the Cree XP-2 diode is notoriously harsh on sticks. It is a however par monster and penetrates deep tanks very well. Hope this helps and happy reefing

Thank you I made the change and reduced by 20% we will see how this goes.

andrewbram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 06:49 PM   #5206
lobelto13
Registered Member

Hey everyone.

I am a little confused. Which profile should i use? I have a red sea 250 whih is 36”long and around 21” deep. I have 2 hydras 52HD with the ai brackets. My lights go on at 8 and ramp up from there. And go off at 10pm. Just like to be able to watch my tank.

Which profile is recommend?

Thanks in advance.

lobelto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 05:53 AM   #5207
PanchoG
Registered Member

Hello, that is a lot of light. I think you should try Orcus profiles but reducing them maybe at 50% or 60% just to be in the safe side since you have 2 Hydras 52HD, and you can tune it as you see progress.

I believe your photoperiod is too long, try to be between 9 to 12 hrs max.

PanchoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 06:20 AM   #5208
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobelto13 View Post
Hey everyone.

I am a little confused. Which profile should i use? I have a red sea 250 whih is 36”long and around 21” deep. I have 2 hydras 52HD with the ai brackets. My lights go on at 8 and ramp up from there. And go off at 10pm. Just like to be able to watch my tank.

Which profile is recommend?

Thanks in advance.

I agree with @PanchoG try one of my profiles if you are planning on a mixed reef use with with t5ho profiles if your going sps dominant run the full power schedule. After years of trial and error with many different brands I firmly believe that with LEDs the ideal photoperiod is 7hrs of peak schedule lighting with 1-2hr ramps for a total photoperiod of 9-11hrs

Unread 06/25/2018, 08:17 PM   #5209
luisgm
Registered Member

hi
I have 3 hydras 52 (not HD) 8`` over a 48X24x24 refugium (chaetomorpha). I´m having a hard time setting them. What would be the best configuration for growing macroalgae? Thanks

luisgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 08:31 PM   #5210
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisgm View Post
hi
I have 3 hydras 52 (not HD) 8`` over a 48X24x24 refugium (chaetomorpha). I´m having a hard time setting them. What would be the best configuration for growing macroalgae? Thanks
That’s bigger than my current display! Haha. What size system do you have?

Anyways, can you raise the fixtures? Maybe to at least 12” AWL? This would be my first recommendation.

Next, What are your current settings?

Unread 06/25/2018, 08:51 PM   #5211
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisgm View Post
hi

100% all channels 14 hrs a day. Macro algae is all about maximum par so light it up!

A better light for this job though would be find a used 48” 6-8 bulb t5ho fixture and run GE 6500k bulbs. Or if you want fancy sell the hydras and get a Kessil H series or some SB reef refugium lights. Using a Hydra HD for macro is just a waste, but if you are dead set on using them 100% all channels is the way to run them.

Last edited by Orcus Varuna; 06/25/2018 at 08:57 PM.
Unread 06/25/2018, 09:03 PM   #5212
detour
Registered Member

There is so much good info in this thread - to the point I've collected nearly a dozen different settings pulled from various posts....

So, before I start to tweak what I've been using, I thought I would just summarize my current setup.

4x2x2 DT with 2 AI Hydra 52 (non HD). They are mounted approx 10" above the water surface.

I control them with Apex Classic, 7am-10pm, 5 hour ramp up, 4 hour ramp down. Default 14K setting, peak at 55%.

Tank has primarily been softies, but I'd like to be successful adding SPS to the tank.

Suggestions on tweaking my settings?

Thanks!

detour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 06:42 PM   #5213
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by detour View Post
There is so much good info in this thread - to the point I've collected nearly a dozen different settings pulled from various posts....

So, before I start to tweak what I've been using, I thought I would just summarize my current setup.

4x2x2 DT with 2 AI Hydra 52 (non HD). They are mounted approx 10" above the water surface.

I control them with Apex Classic, 7am-10pm, 5 hour ramp up, 4 hour ramp down. Default 14K setting, peak at 55%.

Tank has primarily been softies, but I'd like to be successful adding SPS to the tank.

Suggestions on tweaking my settings?

Thanks!

If your going to go sps then run 100% blue/violets and 24% white, red, green. 9-11 hr total photo period with 7hrs at max settings and 1-2hr ramps. The SPS AB+ settings are pretty much standard for growing sps with Hydras and Radions and those settings get you close enough with the non hd diodes. Happy reefing

Unread 06/28/2018, 06:58 PM   #5214
detour
Registered Member

Quote:
If your going to go sps then run 100% blue/violets and 24% white, red, green. 9-11 hr total photo period with 7hrs at max settings and 1-2hr ramps. The SPS AB+ settings are pretty much standard for growing sps with Hydras and Radions and those settings get you close enough with the non hd diodes. Happy reefing

Thanks! What about UV?

detour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 08:55 PM   #5215
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by detour View Post
Thanks! What about UV?

No problem and yes I was inferring you set all blue and violet channels to 100% including uv.

Unread 07/02/2018, 07:21 PM   #5216
kimmi2413
Registered Member

Quote:
No problem and yes I was inferring you set all blue and violet channels to 100% including uv.

I’m running 2 26s non hd over a reefer 250 about 10” above water surface. Want an sps dominant tank would those settings work as well? I’m using apex classic to run them. I have 3 white settings

kimmi2413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2018, 07:35 PM   #5217
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmi2413 View Post
I’m running 2 26s non hd over a reefer 250 about 10” above water surface. Want an sps dominant tank would those settings work as well? I’m using apex classic to run them. I have 3 white settings

Yes those settings were designed for the sps reef. Also, even though your lights don’t have the same diodes as the hd models those % I gave you will get you close enough to the hd target values to not make much of a difference.

Unread 07/02/2018, 07:40 PM   #5218
kimmi2413
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes those settings were designed for the sps reef. Also, even though your lights don’t have the same diodes as the hd models those % I gave you will get you close enough to the hd target values to not make much of a difference.

Ok nice thanks

kimmi2413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2018, 04:22 PM   #5219
Banjo
Registered Member

Just got back into the hobby with a Red Sea Max E170. It came with the AI Hydra 26 HD. What would be good settings to run on this for an SPS focused reef? What about a mixed reef of SPS and LPS?

I’m currently using the Red Sea Reef Spec settings that came on the printout. Not sure if that’s supposed to be any good.

Thanks!

Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2018, 09:16 AM   #5220
fischcrazy
Registered Member

So I just switched from a Red Sea C-max 250 to a Zoomed Lowboy frag tank setup. my lights are 15" off the water and the tank dimensions are 48 x 24 x 10, most of my acros are sitting 3-6 BWL because of the way it is plumbed. im interested in switching from the david saxby preset to the SPS AB+ settings in this thread... how should I compensate for such low water depth?

Unread 07/31/2018, 05:53 PM   #5221
charles1979
Registered Member

I have 2 hydra 52 hds over a 50 gallon 24”x24”x20 cube. I also have an apogee mq 510 par meter. Let me know if any of y’all would like some par readings.

charles1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2018, 08:25 PM   #5222
Jatz
Registered Member

Hi, this is a great thread and have learnt a lot. It seems its mostly geared towards SPS lighting hence just wondering what would be good for a mixed reef setup - I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 with 2x AI Prime HD's about 10" above water line.
There's a pic of my tank attached.

Recently I was trying out "Dans Reef Respiration V3 LPS" profile
and "ai-signature-nanokaren" but not sure if they suit my tank (see link below for pic of profile). Orcus Varuna and BRS AB+ profiles look interesting but also unsure if they would suit. Any suggestions for my layout?

This link is a share with a heap of profiles (inc pics) I've recently collected including AI-Signature, David Saxby's, Dan's Reef, Orcus Varuna and BRS.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0927~2b.jpg (84.9 KB, 62 views)
Jatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2018, 09:20 PM   #5223
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatz View Post
Hi, this is a great thread and have learnt a lot. It seems its mostly geared towards SPS lighting hence just wondering what would be good for a mixed reef setup - I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 with 2x AI Prime HD's about 10" above water line.

There's a pic of my tank attached.

Recently I was trying out "Dans Reef Respiration V3 LPS" profile

and "ai-signature-nanokaren" but not sure if they suit my tank (see link below for pic of profile). Orcus Varuna and BRS AB+ profiles look interesting but also unsure if they would suit. Any suggestions for my layout?

This link is a share with a heap of profiles (inc pics) I've recently collected including AI-Signature, David Saxby's, Dan's Reef, Orcus Varuna and BRS.

With two AI primes above a reefer 250 you could run 100% all channels if you wanted on a mixed reef lol. But to answer your question just because my profiles have sps in front of them doesn’t mean they won’t work for a mixed reef. I actually designed and have used them for years over a mixed reef and am currently using it on my 14 gallon mixed reef at work.

Unread 08/06/2018, 09:25 PM   #5224
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischcrazy View Post
So I just switched from a Red Sea C-max 250 to a Zoomed Lowboy frag tank setup. my lights are 15" off the water and the tank dimensions are 48 x 24 x 10, most of my acros are sitting 3-6 BWL because of the way it is plumbed. im interested in switching from the david saxby preset to the SPS AB+ settings in this thread... how should I compensate for such low water depth?

For an acro tank it’s all about acclimation. Adam a Battlecorals runs 250 watt halides and reef breeder photons 100% all channels over 10” raceways. I’m quite sure he’s getting 500-100 par on those corals. The key is that he runs the lights high (24”) to diffuse the light. If at all possible I would get the lights up higher since the tank maybe 20-24” awl. Also on a 48” wide tank you will likely need a 3rd 52HD at some point to reduce shading.

Unread 08/06/2018, 09:26 PM   #5225
Jatz
Registered Member

Quote:
With two AI primes above a reefer 250 you could run 100% all channels if you wanted on a mixed reef lol. But to answer your question just because my profiles have sps in front of them doesn’t mean they won’t work for a mixed reef. I actually designed and have used them for years over a mixed reef and am currently using it on my 14 gallon mixed reef at work.

Thanks OV. Just concerned that I might burn something!! Will give one of yours a go and see what happens...

Jatz is offline   Reply With Quote