Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2009, 09:33 PM   #1251
marclwheeler
Moved On

hey I'm kinda new to RC... January of 09... not new to the hobby tho... just got my 50 done in one day so just buckle down and do it ... don't whine... it for the greater good...

marclwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 09:54 PM   #1252
mtbiker41
Registered Member

introductions

hello ,i'm mtnbiker41 I live in eastern ky .I'm not new to rc as I have been a member for 3 years .I have been a bad boy as I don't post enough to please the mods and am no longer able view all forums. so I have to now face my fears and come out in the public for all to see and no more lurking .now to go along with my fear of posting I have low self esteem because I'm not worthy to play with the big boys.maybe we need to start forum for all us low posters where we can talk about our issues and why we are such low posters.we can call low posters anonymous .gee I feel better already coming out in the open this ain't so bad and I feel better already.I think.maybe well I don't know.I'll let you know in the morning.mtnbiker41

mtbiker41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 10:02 PM   #1253
c0nspire
Registered Member

Hello, Im new to here and to the hobby, I have a 45G SW Corner tank that has been running since Sept/09, So far i have only lost one fish, i actually think an anemone ate it because i cant find it anywhere.

c0nspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 10:12 PM   #1254
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbiker41 View Post
hello ,i'm mtnbiker41 I live in eastern ky .I'm not new to rc as I have been a member for 3 years .I have been a bad boy as I don't post enough to please the mods and am no longer able view all forums. so I have to now face my fears and come out in the public for all to see and no more lurking .now to go along with my fear of posting I have low self esteem because I'm not worthy to play with the big boys.maybe we need to start forum for all us low posters where we can talk about our issues and why we are such low posters.we can call low posters anonymous .gee I feel better already coming out in the open this ain't so bad and I feel better already.I think.maybe well I don't know.I'll let you know in the morning.mtnbiker41
wow you mean there is a posting quota on here--news to me

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 10:13 PM   #1255
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0nspire View Post
Hello, Im new to here and to the hobby, I have a 45G SW Corner tank that has been running since Sept/09, So far i have only lost one fish, i actually think an anemone ate it because i cant find it anywhere.
what do you have in your display tank to date?

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 11/18/2009, 10:22 PM   #1256
c0nspire
Registered Member

Ill post a thread in this section in a bit, but right now i have about 50 lbs of live rock, 2 blue chromis, a coral beauty, a bi-color angel, 1 maroon clown, another clown that i am unsure of, a lawnmower blenny that i got for free (it was in a piece of liverock) two anemone's and a star polyp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_hylinur View Post
what do you have in your display tank to date?

To Reef Central

Unread 11/18/2009, 10:25 PM   #1257
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Ill post a thread in this section in a bit, but right now i have about 50 lbs of live rock, 2 blue chromis, a coral beauty, a bi-color angel, 1 maroon clown, another clown that i am unsure of, a lawnmower blenny that i got for free (it was in a piece of liverock) two anemone's and a star polyp.
Great for the fishes but IMO a little soon for anemones. You'll have to monitor the calcium and alk and magnesium level for them very carefully

Unread 11/18/2009, 10:37 PM   #1258
c0nspire
Registered Member

Quote:
Great for the fishes but IMO a little soon for anemones. You'll have to monitor the calcium and alk and magnesium level for them very carefully
they seem to be doing great so far, i got them because they where already being hosted

I Made A Thread

Unread 11/18/2009, 10:43 PM   #1259
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
they seem to be doing great so far, i got them because they where already being hosted

I Made A Thread
nice thread

If you are doing weekly water changes then you are probably alright but sooner or later you are going to have to start measuring the calcium, magnesium and alkalinity of your water. Possibly starting a two part dosing method.

Unread 11/18/2009, 11:18 PM   #1260
fish crazy
Registered Member

Hi all . I have been a member sense 11/2/2009 & have found RC & all of the members info to be priceless . I have been inspired to try to help others in the forums as well as picking up some info for my self. Wish I would joined many years ago . I have made limited post but will make many more in the future as I am full of questions . Look forward to talking with all.

fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2009, 11:27 PM   #1261
jrl2009
Registered Member

Hey all. My name is Shelly, and I am from Rhinelander, Wisconsin. I am 22 years old single mom with a 7 month old. I do not have a tank at the moment, (can't afford one), however I plan on setting one up with in the next year or so. I have been researching and planning what I am going to set up for the past 3 years, and I want to set up a 90 gallon reef tank!

jrl2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 04:30 AM   #1262
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl2009 View Post
Hey all. My name is Shelly, and I am from Rhinelander, Wisconsin. I am 22 years old single mom with a 7 month old. I do not have a tank at the moment, (can't afford one), however I plan on setting one up with in the next year or so. I have been researching and planning what I am going to set up for the past 3 years, and I want to set up a 90 gallon reef tank!
hello shelly

welcome to the forum, and hope you enjoy the site, theres plenty of information in the stickies here, a 90 gallon is a famtastic size tank, but as your a single mom and just learning id suggest a 75, a little easier to manage but still big enough for stable parameters, unless you want a corner lol, if so take a look at our club here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1698273 there are 2,500 posts to look at with plenty of tips, common sizes are 54 and 92 gallon, just a prompt

whatever you decide, welcome again

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 04:32 AM   #1263
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish crazy View Post
Hi all . I have been a member sense 11/2/2009 & have found RC & all of the members info to be priceless . I have been inspired to try to help others in the forums as well as picking up some info for my self. Wish I would joined many years ago . I have made limited post but will make many more in the future as I am full of questions . Look forward to talking with all.
hi nice to see you, thanks for trying to help others, thats what this great community is all about, a very warm welcome to the site and the forum

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 08:29 AM   #1264
thebkramer
Registered Member

Hi again. My sandbed is about 2-3 in. My pH had dropped a whole point when it crashed, which happened 3 weeks ago. All my other water parameters were fine, besides my nitrates. However I had been dealing with my nitrates at 60 for about 8 mos. I have no idea what happened. I came home after being gone for an hour and found all my little "bugs" floating at the top of my tank. It smelled like alcohol and was greasy!?!? All my fish were in a panic and had air bubbles all over them? I quickly put everything in a QT. I ended up eventually losing all my fish, my starfish (black brittle and sandsifter) all my leather corals (except my zoos and buttons) and lost my hard corals (my monti & black tubastrea might pull through), all my snails died within days. My anemone made it through..but then died when QT started going through nitrogen cycle. All I have left are 3 hermits, red emerald and a nassarius (not sure what saved him). My rocks looked they were bleached & felt greasy, but are doing great again. Now I'm dealing with a fungus on some of my corals..its literally eating them from the base. Its a weird, white, cobweb-like substance. I try to blow it off and the polyps fall right off. Using Revive for that and ripping off dead tissue. My water parameters are now perfect, just waiting a couple weeks before adding any new life. Do you have any idea what may have happened? I can't believe my LFS do not have any ideas. Thanks.

thebkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 04:58 PM   #1265
NH81
Registered Member

Talking just getting started

Hey all. Im deffinately new to this incredible hobby. I have been wanting a reef tank for as long as I can remember. still waiting on the contract I have on a house and as soon as I move in Im gonna start my tank. There is an amazing amount of info on here. i have done sooo much research and been on several different forums. thanks to all that have posted throughout this site, for it is been so very helpful. as soon as i start my tank i will let everyone in on the progress.

NH81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 05:10 PM   #1266
sgc0286
Registered Member

Hi Everyone!

I have been running a FOWLR for around 3 months now. I have some pictures in my profile. I really want to add some corals and sponges but I do not feel comfortable with adding them yet. If anyone has any advice on a good 1st time coral or sponge I would appreciate all input.

sgc0286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 05:49 PM   #1267
mtbiker41
Registered Member

quota

Quote:
wow you mean there is a posting quota on here--news to me

To Reef Central
yea as of thursday if you don't have least 50 "meaningful" posts you can't view the buy &sell or trade forum.mtnbiker41

Unread 11/19/2009, 05:55 PM   #1268
mtbiker41
Registered Member

tanks

Quote:
I guess I should tell what I have in equipment.at my office I have 90 gallon corner reef w refugium and foam aquascaping ,been up for over a year. beside it I have a 155 bowfront w wet dry been up for 10 years.at my home I have a 240 w refugium been up for 11 months.

Unread 11/19/2009, 06:04 PM   #1269
andreaxxx
Registered Member

Uk Newbie

oops i think iv'e got this in the wrong place,Ihope a kind moderator can move it for me.

Through a referal, I found my way here & I'm even more confused about the way ahead.
It is over 12 yrs since I had a tank [my first a 4 ft] stocked with 2 common clowns, blue tang, dwarf lion, mandarin [my fav] cleaner wrass, cleaner shrimp, anenome/ tube worms [not much sucess with those,never looked healthy & usualy laid down on the sand].Fluval external filter,1 heater,tufa rock, under gravel filter [the plastic kind if they still make them] 1 daylight/1moonlight tube.

So where to start? I've located a spot in the coolest room [even on our hottest day,which is not that often,it is a pleasant room to cool down. Room for a 5ft though cost may force a smaller tank. Is this size a bit ambitiuos? [spell check not working] I have just come across the Nano's, never used to be posible to use such a small tank for a reef set up,I guess new products have made things easier.I will read up on these,as I do like the look [& the price].

I have loads more questions but this thread is for introductions & I wasn't sure how much I could ask here.

Unread 11/19/2009, 06:06 PM   #1270
NH81
Registered Member

wow. that was confusing the heck out of me. i was going crazy trying to figure out where the for sale pages were. im glad i wonder around on here aimlessly.

NH81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 06:35 PM   #1271
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
yea as of thursday if you don't have least 50 "meaningful" posts you can't view the buy &sell or trade forum.mtnbiker41
where is the rule posted

Unread 11/19/2009, 06:38 PM   #1272
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaxxx View Post
oops i think iv'e got this in the wrong place,Ihope a kind moderator can move it for me.

Through a referal, I found my way here & I'm even more confused about the way ahead.
It is over 12 yrs since I had a tank [my first a 4 ft] stocked with 2 common clowns, blue tang, dwarf lion, mandarin [my fav] cleaner wrass, cleaner shrimp, anenome/ tube worms [not much sucess with those,never looked healthy & usualy laid down on the sand].Fluval external filter,1 heater,tufa rock, under gravel filter [the plastic kind if they still make them] 1 daylight/1moonlight tube.

So where to start? I've located a spot in the coolest room [even on our hottest day,which is not that often,it is a pleasant room to cool down. Room for a 5ft though cost may force a smaller tank. Is this size a bit ambitiuos? [spell check not working] I have just come across the Nano's, never used to be posible to use such a small tank for a reef set up,I guess new products have made things easier.I will read up on these,as I do like the look [& the price].

I have loads more questions but this thread is for introductions & I wasn't sure how much I could ask here.

To Reef Central

you are in the right place.
I'm going to let my esteemed reef buddy Michael do the honours of helping you out--you will see why

Unread 11/19/2009, 06:40 PM   #1273
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH81 View Post
wow. that was confusing the heck out of me. i was going crazy trying to figure out where the for sale pages were. im glad i wonder around on here aimlessly.
we all do that ---some of us more than other. I am still trying to figure out the friends thing.
Sure miss the water keeper--he always had a good sense of direction on here for everyone

Unread 11/19/2009, 06:41 PM   #1274
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess I should tell what I have in equipment.at my office I have 90 gallon corner reef w refugium and foam aquascaping ,been up for over a year. beside it I have a 155 bowfront w wet dry been up for 10 years.at my home I have a 240 w refugium been up for 11 months.
wow--your expertise will really be appreciated on here.

Unread 11/19/2009, 06:43 PM   #1275
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc0286 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I have been running a FOWLR for around 3 months now. I have some pictures in my profile. I really want to add some corals and sponges but I do not feel comfortable with adding them yet. If anyone has any advice on a good 1st time coral or sponge I would appreciate all input.
Can you post a list of what you have in that fowlr tank before we make some suggestions.

To Reef Central

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral