Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2012, 11:26 AM   #26
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2012, 11:28 AM   #27
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

PICTURES DON'T DO JUSTICE!
LOVE this light! Just took down my 400 watt halide powerhouse. The radium gives out beautiful light but i will not miss it. if this Razor grows coral slowly so then be it! I wont have to frag as often!
LOVE being able to control output. The dusk/dawn effect is priceless. No washed out color whatsoever!
My corals were not doing so great after the downgrade. Let's see what this baby can do!

Last edited by Mike de Leon; 08/25/2012 at 11:39 AM.
Unread 08/25/2012, 11:50 AM   #28
bayoupr
Registered Member

I got the 27" 16K I am trying out on half my tank with two of my SOL Blues on the other half still running. Right now my lights are ramping up and there is a big difference in color. The razor has a lot of purple look to it and not blue (I think they could have eliminated one violet per puck). I will take some pictures after my lights are up to their full settings.

bayoupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2012, 11:56 AM   #29
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiider View Post
Here is a pic as requested. I have the 16k - 27 inch version.

Tank is starting to come together. No fish in there yet...just a big piece of Pukani and a few bits I grabbed from my other nano to seed.

Hasn't cycled yet but it is only a week old.

Btw, this pic was taken at around 6pm and the light is running on preset 1.
So, it is already ramping down dramatically for a total lights out at about 9pm.
The preset 1 program holds the blue channel on a slower ramp down so it looks more blue than at midday.

Thank you spider for your picture. I really like those 40B. Lots of potential...

Unread 08/25/2012, 12:25 PM   #30
joefish
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoupr View Post
I got the 27" 16K I am trying out on half my tank with two of my SOL Blues on the other half still running. Right now my lights are ramping up and there is a big difference in color. The razor has a lot of purple look to it and not blue (I think they could have eliminated one violet per puck). I will take some pictures after my lights are up to their full settings.
Purple is the good thing i need to hear, the 420 spectrum thats awesome!

joefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2012, 12:48 PM   #31
bayoupr
Registered Member

joefish, If this is what you want then this light has it. Might be more purple looking since my tank since it is acrylic. Maybe high iron glass tanks (green tint) might offset the look. I am going to play around with the settings once ramped up to my program settings. I have the settings the same as my SOL Blue's. May have to tweak this a little.

Unread 08/25/2012, 12:50 PM   #32
Jeremy@CoralVue
Registered Member

Awesome tank Mike. That fixture suspended really sets off you display.

Jeremy@CoralVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2012, 01:08 PM   #33
joefish
Premium Member

Quote:
joefish, If this is what you want then this light has it. Might be more purple looking since my tank since it is acrylic. Maybe high iron glass tanks (green tint) might offset the look. I am going to play around with the settings once ramped up to my program settings. I have the settings the same as my SOL Blue's. May have to tweak this a little.
I would order the 10k model or at least thats what I'm thinking. I'm trying to see if it can replicate the 10K mh with super actinic supplement. If it does, I think its a home run!!!!
sorry for you though, I know how much it sucks when you buy something (expensive) and its not what you had hoped!

Unread 08/25/2012, 01:13 PM   #34
joefish
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike de Leon View Post
is that an carpet anemone in the lower right corner? tank look awesome BTW!

Unread 08/25/2012, 01:17 PM   #35
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Yes Joefish that is a huge carpet. The kids wont let me get rid of it. It just ate a six line wrasse. It just keeps growing! Thanks for the compliment. The tank has quite a ways to go. It's a downgrade from a 160 gallon that had T5 originally.
Go with the 16000. You can adjust output. Ramped up to 100 % for both channels gets me close to my 400 watt Radium.

Last edited by Mike de Leon; 08/25/2012 at 01:27 PM.
Unread 08/25/2012, 01:27 PM   #36
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy@CoralVue View Post
Awesome tank Mike. That fixture suspended really sets off you display.

Thanks Jeremy,

Been following your thread as you know. Finally took the plunge and can't be happier. Love the look of it hanging. Tried it with the legs. Didn't work for me. I didn't have to drill the ceiling. The cables at an angle actually looks cool!
I hope this thing lasts wo any issues. If something does happen I know I can count on you. That is HUGE for any business who wants to be successful .
Scott at Aquarium Specialty was great to deal with!

Cheers!

Unread 08/25/2012, 01:38 PM   #37
bayoupr
Registered Member

joefish, didn't say if I disliked it yet. I am going to play with the settings and see what I can come up with. As for the light fixture I like the thin sleek look and the light weight of the unit.

Unread 08/25/2012, 02:00 PM   #38
joefish
Premium Member

oh, sorry! I guess I'm so used to people bashing things around here if they're not 100% happy with it. I hope you find the perfect setting then, good luck!

Unread 08/25/2012, 02:16 PM   #39
bayoupr
Registered Member

No, I don't bash things on here. I will give my opinion compared to other equipment I run, but I don't bash. With that, the colors are starting to blend in nicely now that I am almost to my photo period max. Not as much of a purple hue. My corals are having no problems with the change on that half of the tank as they are opening up like normal.

Unread 08/25/2012, 02:29 PM   #40
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

So I hope some led users will also chime in. My original light for this small tank was a 400 watt halide with 4 t5 supplements. I've only had the set up for a week. Took my 160 gal down and downgraded. All of the corals showed signs of stress and actually lost a couple of large SPS colonies. The halide was starting the bring the colors back. I was also starting to see new growth just after a week!

So here's the question. After being under 400 watts of light at 8-9 hours a day, do i still need to acclimate the corals to this new light??

Unread 08/25/2012, 02:47 PM   #41
bhazard451
Registered Member.

Yes. Start at half intensity and adjust upwards every day unless you see signs of stress.

The light looks awesome.

bhazard451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2012, 03:09 PM   #42
bayoupr
Registered Member

I am liking the color now that my phto period is up to max which is blues-85% and whites 35%. My sol's are at blue 52%, royal blue 45% and whites at 25%. The razor has a crisper light but I need to have it ramped up higher to some what match the sol blue's intensity. The blues are 13" above the tank and the Razor is 6" above the tank. So far I like the color and will probably raise them to the same height as my sol's.

Unread 08/25/2012, 07:59 PM   #43
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
I am liking the color now that my phto period is up to max which is blues-85% and whites 35%. My sol's are at blue 52%, royal blue 45% and whites at 25%. The razor has a crisper light but I need to have it ramped up higher to some what match the sol blue's intensity. The blues are 13" above the tank and the Razor is 6" above the tank. So far I like the color and will probably raise them to the same height as my sol's.
I had to have mine at almost a foot off the water to get better coverage. I thought I would loose intensity but didn't. The led is so forgiving to the eyes. Even at that height the light is so focused just to the tank itself.
I really like to color being given off by this light. I had my T5 for a while. Although it wasn't bad it was missing something. It also gave a washed out look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard451 View Post
Yes. Start at half intensity and adjust upwards every day unless you see signs of stress.

The light looks awesome.
So with the dusk/dawn effect the light is only at 100% for about three hours. It starts very low at 1%. Is this still an issue with too much light or too little? This is a preset that I can use.
I can also change the setting to whatever I want. Thank you for your kind remark.

Unread 08/26/2012, 03:23 PM   #44
Thunder3
Registered Member

What Automatic settings do you guys have it set to? My mid day is for only 4 hours at 60% White and 60% Blue. I feel if I go up to high I might get algae or bleach the corals. I use to have 2 150 watt 14k Mh bulbs over a 46 bowfront. My pink Monti is not as pink since using this fixture. I just lowered it today from 70% A & B to 60% A & B. The fixture is sitting on the tank.

Thunder3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2012, 03:54 PM   #45
Thunder3
Registered Member

I would like to get the tank a little brighter but still keep the blue and now have algae issues or bleach the corals. What do you guys think. I have a 46 bowfront that I had for 5 years a Sunpod with 2 150 watt 14K MH bulbs.

Thunder3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2012, 03:59 PM   #46
bayoupr
Registered Member

Mike de Leon, Haven't raised mine yet but I did have to tune it down from 80% blue, 55% white to 60% blue and 35% white. Couple of my corals didn't like the high setting at 7.5" above the tank. I have some dark areas also but will be raising the fixture to 13" above my tank which is what my sol's are at. I have dialed in now to the look that I had with my Pheonix HQI 150w MH bulbs I ran a couple of years ago. A nice ice blue color.

Unread 08/26/2012, 05:54 PM   #47
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder3 View Post
What Automatic settings do you guys have it set to? My mid day is for only 4 hours at 60% White and 60% Blue. I feel if I go up to high I might get algae or bleach the corals. I use to have 2 150 watt 14k Mh bulbs over a 46 bowfront. My pink Monti is not as pink since using this fixture. I just lowered it today from 70% A & B to 60% A & B. The fixture is sitting on the tank.
I have mine set at 20 % blue for an hour 60/60 for a couple of hours, 60 blue/80 white for four hours and the rest 100% blue. This is just for a start..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder3 View Post
I would like to get the tank a little brighter but still keep the blue and now have algae issues or bleach the corals. What do you guys think. I have a 46 bowfront that I had for 5 years a Sunpod with 2 150 watt 14K MH bulbs.
See above. I think you need to start lower and just keep ramping it up slowly over a span of a couple of weeks. I am also new at this.

Quote:
Mike de Leon, Haven't raised mine yet but I did have to tune it down from 80% blue, 55% white to 60% blue and 35% white. Couple of my corals didn't like the high setting at 7.5" above the tank. I have some dark areas also but will be raising the fixture to 13" above my tank which is what my sol's are at. I have dialed in now to the look that I had with my Pheonix HQI 150w MH bulbs I ran a couple of years ago. A nice ice blue color.
The spectrum on this unit is almost equal to a 400 watt halide according to their specs. My corals are responding very well and are opening up. Will see how it goes.

Unread 08/26/2012, 06:08 PM   #48
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Dbl post

Unread 08/26/2012, 08:33 PM   #49
newe70
Registered Member

Your new led Razor fixtures looks so styling...how is the moonlight? Can you comments on the moonlight?

newe70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2012, 11:45 PM   #50
SneekaPeek
Registered Member

How is this fixture comparable to a 6 bulb t5 fixture over a 40r (36x15x17)? my whole tank is lit with no dark spots. I have ample lighting in which once my corals grow out to massive colonies there will be no dead spots. I am having trouble buying this fixture because I feel it won't cover the tank completely like my 6 bulb fixture does. Can anyone chime in. I really want to go LEDs, but I don't think this fixture can cover the whole tank. please feel free to help decide to wait for a future fixture or go ahead and buy because I won't be let down. I love the cost, energy efficiency and programable timer included with sunrise/sunset; That really can't be beat!

This is my tank lit with t5. I want bright!

SneekaPeek is offline   Reply With Quote