Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/24/2020, 08:57 PM   #1
ValhallaReef
Registered Member

Plumming only ONE PUMP to do EVERYTHING!!??!!

I am working on the plumming plans for a new 160 gal (220 gal estimated total system), and I got the idea of having ONE pump do everything.

Basically it would be the return AND I would plum off the discarge to send needed water to all auxiliary systems. Reactors. Skimmer. Return. Refugium. Auto top off (would need a solenoid valve). Algee Scrubber.

All off one external return pump and gate valves to control the flow.

Has anyone ever seen this?
Anything I should consider? Or be concerned about?

Thank you so much!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ValhallaReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2020, 02:54 AM   #2
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValhallaReef View Post
I am working on the plumming plans for a new 160 gal (220 gal estimated total system), and I got the idea of having ONE pump do everything.

Basically it would be the return AND I would plum off the discarge to send needed water to all auxiliary systems. Reactors. Skimmer. Return. Refugium. Auto top off (would need a solenoid valve). Algee Scrubber.

All off one external return pump and gate valves to control the flow.

Has anyone ever seen this?
Anything I should consider? Or be concerned about?

Thank you so much!

Very possible! People do it all the time.
You mentioned ATO. How would that work? An ATO replaces evaporated water with RODI water. The water from the return is tank water.

Look here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=retu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

No problem, just get a pump capable of handling the extra head pressure.
IF you are planning on a DC model you will have to oversize the pump, they don't like head pressure. There are 2 exceptions but $$$$.

Unread 06/25/2020, 11:39 AM   #4
ValhallaReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
No problem, just get a pump capable of handling the extra head pressure.
IF you are planning on a DC model you will have to oversize the pump, they don't like head pressure. There are 2 exceptions but $$$$.
I am wanting to go with a single external pump. The pressure was my largest concern.

Any good way to calculate the flow losses? So I know how much extra flow I need?

ValhallaReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

On the HOME page here there is a head loss calculator.
Most pumps will have a head pressure chart for head loss. You might have to do a search on the mfg. page.

Unread 06/27/2020, 06:29 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

Your large return pump is connected to or sits in your sump. Your refugium is part of your sump. Your skimmer also sits in a chamber of your sump. Your ATO will have a pump that feeds water up to the sump. You basically have 3 pumps: the little one feeding the ATO system, the one inside your skimmer driving its bubbles, and your big return pump. You'll also find a 'mixing pump' useful to hasten salt water production: a small Tunze is good for that.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2020, 09:42 AM   #7
madadi
ReefOG

In my experience trying to "simplify" and use less pumps has resulted in not simplifying at all. What happens is that flow rates change over time. Reactors build up pressure for example and valves get clogged. this results in flow rates to change to different components driving you crazy and instability in your system. Calcium reactors and skimmers work best with consistent flow rates in my opinion. Media reactors have a specific flow range needed or all your media will be ground to a dust and blown in the tank. I tried it, i woudn't do it again in future builds. Just my opinion.

LETS TRADE YUMAS

Current Tank Info: Glass box.
madadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2020, 11:17 AM   #8
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Any single point of failure isn’t the best idea in my opinion. I’ve been using 2 return pumps for years to avoid a potential crash, especially since I’m away from home a lot.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2020, 11:29 AM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madadi View Post
In my experience trying to "simplify" and use less pumps has resulted in not simplifying at all. What happens is that flow rates change over time. Reactors build up pressure for example and valves get clogged. this results in flow rates to change to different components driving you crazy and instability in your system. Calcium reactors and skimmers work best with consistent flow rates in my opinion. Media reactors have a specific flow range needed or all your media will be ground to a dust and blown in the tank. I tried it, i woudn't do it again in future builds. Just my opinion.
I've done it all with just one pump and won't do it again, for the very same reasons. IMHO, using a few small pumps for reactors works much better long term.

In addition, unless you keep a spare (I had 2 DARTS) to swap out, when your single pump goes out the whole tank stops.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2020, 10:05 PM   #10
laverda
Registered Member

Another way to feed things is off the drain lines to your sump. This is how I feed most things like you listed. You will not need as large a pump saving money on the pump and electricity long term. It costs money to pump water to 6’ or higher. Gravity is free.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote