Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/11/2018, 03:19 PM   #1
hkgar
Registered Member

test kits

dKH
Hanna old batch 7.84
Hanna new batch 7.45
Salifert 8.00

Interesting that post Salifert results in Apex Fusion and .50 used to return 8.00. Today .48 returned 8.00 and .50 returned 7.70

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2018, 10:05 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Those numbers are close enough for our purposes, but I'd hope for a bit more consistency. Still, that's not that bad.

Unread 08/16/2018, 06:39 AM   #3
shelley0
Registered Member

Test Kits

I was using API test kits, and have an issue with my numbers. I have been told that API is not that accurate. I have ordered the Red Sea test kits, are these better? TIA

shelley0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 07:32 AM   #4
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley0 View Post
I was using API test kits, and have an issue with my numbers. I have been told that API is not that accurate. I have ordered the Red Sea test kits, are these better? TIA
Red Sea can be more accurate than API. I use Hanna for alk and phos. Red Sea for nitrate. and Salfert for the calcium and mag. AS long as my numbers are close im good with it. The more important factor is that they remain constant. When I get a new kit I test it along with the old kit to sea what the difference is.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 07:53 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

My experience is that API is just as accurate/reliable as any not to mention typically far cheaper and many times just easier to use..
I too went API to Red Sea and the API always matched up with the Red Sea even years after the API kits were expired they still matched close enough to the Red Sea results..

Unread 08/16/2018, 11:32 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

People have a wide range of experiences with test kits. I had one ammonia kit that never worked properly, but generally have had reasonable results from most other kits. Red Sea should be okay at this point, on average, as should API, but any kit can fail over time.