Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2015, 11:21 PM   #1
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Whats in my QT?

I finally decided to invest in a better QT setup. It is definitely a work in progress but I think it may be worth sharing at this point.

This is the first stage of my QT. It consists of four 20 gallon tanks on an all metal shelving unit. Instead of the junk wood shelving it came with I purchased 3/4" laminate shelves.

Each 20gal tank has it's own setup consisting of two pvc pipes, an air stone, a DIY filter, a floating thermometer, and a 50w heater. Each tank has a lid to keep the fish from jumping out. The filters are powered by 2 battery backup air pumps. I have 4 spare filters running in the sump of the 2nd stage to my QT setup.

Right now only two of the tanks have occupants. They are all eating frozen mixed with metro and are just starting their first round of prazi.
Tank 2: PBT, YBBT, CB, and a magnificent foxface.
Tank 3: 4 Lyretail anthias and a Purple Tang.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 11:36 PM   #2
tkeracer619
Registered Member

The 2nd Stage

Right now the tank is empty but it's sitting there waiting on the fish from stage one. They will stay in this setup for a few months fattening up and when I feel they are ready they can go into a display.

It's a 6x4x2 360 gallon acrylic tank. It has an Aqua UV 57w Sterilizer on a closed loop, a MP40w for flow, and a 40 gallon long sump. The sump contains a small skimmer, a TLF 150 media reactor for carbon, two 250w heaters w/Ranco ETC, and a mag7 return pump. I use dual floatswitches and a masterflex peristaltic pump for top off.

This pic was taken when I first converted the system to a QT. It was nov 30th at 2:30am... I wish to avoid that situation again, hence the QT upgrade.

When I install my next system all of this stuff will be moved into the basement into a dedicated fish room.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 03/02/2015 at 11:55 PM.
Unread 03/02/2015, 11:43 PM   #3
jbvdhp
Registered Member

Dude. Sweet qt set up. Bravo.

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 12:57 AM   #4
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Coral QT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdhp View Post
Dude. Sweet qt set up. Bravo.
Thanks

This is what I ended up with for a Coral and Invert QT. It's a mostly stock Red Sea Max 130. So far I have snails, a shrimp, an arrow crab, an emerald crab, a mushroom, a torch, and a hammer/frogspawn hybrid.

When I stop putting stuff in here I will count at least 72 days before adding livestock to a display tank. Snails are dipped in flatworm exit, corals in revive or coral rx.

It sits as a display in the entrance of my home.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 03/03/2015 at 01:24 AM.
Unread 03/03/2015, 01:10 AM   #5
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Frozen food with Metronidazole

Since these fish are eating I am treating them with Metro in their food. I make about a tablespoon of the food at a time.

It's a mix of...

Hikari Mysis
PE Mysis
Hikari Enriched Brine
Hikari Squid
OSI Spirulina Pellet
NLS Pellet
1 level spoonful of Metro
5 level spoonfuls of Focus
1 Drop Garlic Power <- this stuff

Thaw the frozen food in RODI then strain through a brine net.
Add the meds and the garlic then mix well.
Next add the pellets and mix well, I let it sit for maybe 10 minutes for the pellets to soak up any juices.
Scoop out the mixture and place it in the center of a ziplock bag. Using a new flat of frozen as a platter I try to spread it evenly and about an 1/8" thick so it freezes/thaws fast.

I'm not using the scale for this particular med (other than a way to prop up the tupperware) but if you are looking for a decent digital scale that reads in mg I suggest this one. Seems accurate enough for the job without costing $500

Last edited by tkeracer619; 03/03/2015 at 01:16 AM.
Unread 03/03/2015, 06:11 AM   #6
snorvich
Team RC member

Excellent.

Unread 03/03/2015, 07:14 AM   #7
DaveRaz
Reef Rookie

Great set up. Although not as complete as your, I have the shelving and tanks similar to yours. Makes it pretty easy for TT.

DaveRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 10:13 AM   #8
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Thanks I think it is very convenient. I got the tanks during the $/Gal sale anf the shelving unit was being discontinued so 50% off. The filters are all DIY with a tupperware, some media, and a sponge. I use an airstone to pull water through it all. Total investment so far in the rack setup is right at ~$250 because I bought new heaters instead of the old ones I have laying around. I already had the air pumps.

TTM is why only two of the tanks are in use. Until I see what is going on with the fish I'm not sure what or if they will be treated for anything else so I want to keep them open for TTM. Right now the only real problem I have is the CBB looks to have lympho but it seems to be clearing up. The anthias came in with worms. Keeping a close eye.

I really hope this yellow belly blue tang makes it. That batch of fish came in cold, stuck in shipping for an extra 24h on a 16deg tarmac. I chilled their QT to the 50 degrees they came in at (all lethargic) but the ybbt was dead . Zero signs of life and no color / foul water. I matched the water the best I could and put them straight into qt and started slowly raising the temp. The tang started moving gills 5 minutes in and was upright swimming 24h later. Any sort of extra flow from a hob filter would likely have caused it extra stress. Keeping my fingers crossed it makes it!

Last edited by tkeracer619; 03/03/2015 at 10:22 AM.
Unread 06/17/2019, 04:01 PM   #9
LowBoost
Registered Member

Sorry for the necropost (2015). I am just starting my QTs (20 longs) and I am having a hard time finding a rack/stand that will fit these.

I love your rack. Would you mind telling me where and which brand/model it is?

Thanks!

LowBoost is offline   Reply With Quote