Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2018, 05:28 AM   #1
Karytse
Registered Member

RD 3 Mini 50W O-ring

Hi,

I just dis-assemble my RD3 mini 50W return pump for cleaning, while i was cleaning I found an o-ring (OD 50mm) sitting on the sink, and i have no idea where i should put it back. Should it be place in the red housing or on the rotor? Thanks.
20180728_191849.jpg20180728_191858.jpg

Karytse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2018, 08:02 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karytse View Post
Hi,

I just dis-assemble my RD3 mini 50W return pump for cleaning, while i was cleaning I found an o-ring (OD 50mm) sitting on the sink, and i have no idea where i should put it back. Should it be place in the red housing or on the rotor? Thanks.
Attachment 394163Attachment 394164
There is one that goes in the intake fitting where the union connects which I can see in the photo and one that goes in the output side where the union connects. There is also a much larger o-ring that goes into the back side of the plate that sits between the magnet and the impeller which appears to be there.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2018, 09:33 AM   #3
Karytse
Registered Member

Thanks Slief, I think the o-ring that i mentioned is the one that sits on the red housing shown on the 1st picture. Thanks again.

Unread 07/28/2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Karytse
Registered Member

Hi Slief, one more problem. I heard some straight noise after i assemble the motor, so i dis-assemble it again, both the rotating part of the rotor and the stator are good, without any foreign object inside. But when i rotate the rotor, i found that the flange can move not just axially, but also side way. I believed there should be a ball bearing / bushing inside that flange, so this kind of side way movement should be happened. Am i correct that rotor may have some problems?

Unread 07/28/2018, 11:38 AM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hi Slief, one more problem. I heard some straight noise after i assemble the motor, so i dis-assemble it again, both the rotating part of the rotor and the stator are good, without any foreign object inside. But when i rotate the rotor, i found that the flange can move not just axially, but also side way. I believed there should be a ball bearing / bushing inside that flange, so this kind of side way movement should be happened. Am i correct that rotor may have some problems?
What flange? I assume you are talking about the plate between the magnet and rotor? There are no bearings in the plate between the rotor and magnet. It’s a ceramic bushing and there is supposed to be a bit of sideways play as well as vertical. When the motor is powered on, the magnet will self center. I would soak the impeller is straight white vinegar for 10 minutes then rinse it well. The only thing that could really make any noise would be buildup in the ceramic bushing or on the impeller shaft at the bottom or if you pulled the impeller out by grasping the rotor and pulled the rotor out of position and up on the shaft. If that was the case, the rotor could come in contact with the pump face and you might see wear marks of the face of the rotor or on the inside of the red pump cover.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 07/28/2018, 09:00 PM   #6
Karytse
Registered Member

It really was the buildup that caused the noise. After soaking the rotor in the white vinegar
, the motor is back to normal again. Thanks a lot Slief. You saved me hundreds of dollars, I was about to order a new rotor and also had my backup return pump ready to use. Thanks again.

Unread 07/28/2018, 11:57 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
It really was the buildup that caused the noise. After soaking the rotor in the white vinegar
, the motor is back to normal again. Thanks a lot Slief. You saved me hundreds of dollars, I was about to order a new rotor and also had my backup return pump ready to use. Thanks again.
Glad to help!