Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/09/2006, 08:18 AM   #451
beachroadbum
Premium Member

Hey Now John,

Thats great to hear...no ammonia!

This rock gets better every day...no joke! I see more and more beautiful life every day!

take care,
Jared

Current Tank Info: 58 oceanic dsb/t5 4bulb teklight/vortech mp20/aquac ev180/aquac custom sump
Unread 05/09/2006, 11:38 AM   #452
elzool
Registered Member

Wish I could get rid of the ammonia.
I keep testing and getting 1.2

I've done multiple water changes... any other recommendations?
Any chemical stabilizers out there anyone would care to recommend?

or should I just suck it up and keep doing water changes that I knew I'd need to do when ordering?

Last edited by elzool; 05/09/2006 at 11:49 AM.
Unread 05/09/2006, 11:52 AM   #453
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by elzool
Wish I could get rid of the ammonia.
I keep testing and getting 1.2

I've done multiple water changes... any other recommendations?
Any chemical stabilizers out there anyone would care to recommend?

or should I just suck it up and keep doing water changes that I knew I'd need to do when ordering?
Something is causing ammonia, or your test kit is faulty...take each rock and inspect, with your eyes, and nose.....anything funky smelling, scrape off.....if there is anything......how old is the test kit?

Also everybody should expect ammonia as it is part of the chemistry of a cycle.....ammonia, nitrites, then nitrates....is the way it goes....which is why you have to be ready to make water changes!!

any test kit over a year old is out of date as the reagents fail after time..
Thanks
TBS

Unread 05/09/2006, 12:27 PM   #454
patsan
Premium Member

Hey guys...we're back.
I hated coming back up here. The weather the past 10 days was spectacular. Not a drop of rain (nice for me but not good for the brush fires throughout the state)...and WARM weather.
I seriously have to consider moving there. It's my kind of weather.

We had a wonderful visit with Sally and Brett. Their tank is really beautiful. I have to get the pictures out of my camera. (I plan on doing that in a little bit)

It's great to see new people posting here. I love seeing new pictures.

Our tank doesn't look as bad as I expected it to when we got home a little while ago. There is some brown on the glass, and that's it. I kind of thought we weren't going to be able to see into the tank, but that's not the case. We asked our daughter just to feed the fish and add water....not do any maintenance. So all went well at least, which is a good thing.

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 05/09/2006, 12:29 PM   #455
krajacich
Premium Member

Glad you're back safely and that your tank survived your vacation. I always worry something horrible will happen to mine when we leave. Can't wait to see all your pictures

Current Tank Info: 72g bow reef tank with TBS package
Unread 05/09/2006, 12:58 PM   #456
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
Glad you're back safely and that your tank survived your vacation. I always worry something horrible will happen to mine when we leave. Can't wait to see all your pictures
I was worrying if something would happen to ours too....that's one of the reasons I didn't want to get anything new to add to it before we went away. I've read too many stories of tanks crashing when people are on vacation.

I am starting to email Sally some pictures for her to post. Some came out good, some great and some not too good. I'm just deleting the blurry ones and she can pick and choose which ones she wants to post to the group.

Unread 05/09/2006, 01:19 PM   #457
patsan
Premium Member

Here is a picture I got of Sally's pond in here back yard....and the creature swimming in it. I was trying to get a closer shot but just couldn't.

Unread 05/09/2006, 02:05 PM   #458
beachroadbum
Premium Member

Pat!

awesome! Glad youa re back safely! I can't wait to see pictures!

take care,
Jared

Current Tank Info: 58 oceanic dsb/t5 4bulb teklight/vortech mp20/aquac ev180/aquac custom sump
Unread 05/09/2006, 02:06 PM   #459
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

CirolanidHunter, can you give me some advice on how to rid my tank of these cirolanid isopods? I killed two like a month ago and though they were gone, but I saw another this morning. Where theres one theres probably more too. Was just about to get a fish or two =\

Anyone else end up with Cirolanid in their packages recently or am I just unlucky?
So far my pest count is:
10 gorrilas, 2 purple rock crabs, 3 cirolanid isopods, 4 nudibranches, and a large black and blue mantis that was DOA.

Unread 05/09/2006, 02:21 PM   #460
patsan
Premium Member

I started sending Sally some of the pictures Jared....so as soon as she posts them, we'll get to see them. I am still resizing them. I guess I took a lot.

Unread 05/09/2006, 02:51 PM   #461
Safir
Registered Member

jezz - i saw two cirolanids on my rock, but spotted them and flicked them off before it went in teh tank. haven't seen any more.

i have picked out 4 gorillas and have a mantis in there still, so don't feel too alone

also got probably a dozen other hitchiker crabs, at least two red mithrax and at least 5 porcelain crabs included.

Unread 05/09/2006, 02:58 PM   #462
jharler
Premium Member

I feel pretty lucky. I got my first shipment on Thursday and so far, the only hitchikers I've found are a serpent star and a baby snail. No signs of any crabs or mantis. I'm also having a dream cycle with no ammonia. I haven't had to do a water change yet.

I hope I have the same kind of luck with Part 2.

Current Tank Info: 30 Gallon TBS
Unread 05/09/2006, 03:14 PM   #463
elzool
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by liverock
Something is causing ammonia, or your test kit is faulty...take each rock and inspect, with your eyes, and nose.....anything funky smelling, scrape off.....if there is anything......how old is the test kit?
Smelled, scaped and smelled some more. No foul or funkified odors.
Called Hagen, the manufacturer of the test kit and found it was made in Feb of 05'.

I'll pick up a Seachem Ammonia test tomorrow. Until then, just in case, I'll continue doing water changes.

I have seen more critters in the last 15 minutes than I've seen in the last two days.

I pulled up something I thought was dead... it was a rock and I found a wee lil starfish beneath it and this guy was also on the rock. I'm trying to decide if he should stay or go.

Then I saw this bigger guy. Friend or Foe?

Finally, I saw this guy out looking for food. At least his antenna thingie was out before I took the picture.

Next investment, macro lens.

Unread 05/09/2006, 05:05 PM   #464
patsan
Premium Member

Jesse....I had one cirolanid....and never another. I also don't think anyone had anything NEAR what poor Brian went thru.

Josh, I barely had a cycle with both my shipments also. Some have it easy, and some have it rough. The big thing is.....if there is an ammonia spike that doesn't seem to be able to control, then most likely a sponge or turkey wing is dead in that tank. You will also be seeing hitchhikers very soon. You couldn't be so lucky not to get gorilla crabs.

elzool.....some people disagree with me, but the only crabs I'd keep are the porcelains...the other will start eating things you'd like to keep.
That 2nd picture is a gorilla for sure. If it has the black claws, get it out of there as soon as you can.

Unread 05/09/2006, 05:08 PM   #465
elzool
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
elzool.....some people disagree with me, but the only crabs I'd keep are the porcelains...the other will start eating things you'd like to keep.
That 2nd picture is a gorilla for sure. If it has the black claws, get it out of there as soon as you can.
Super!
I found another one in the hole next door.

Glad I already went to Sears & Roebuck.

I'm off to huntin'... As Elmer Fudd would say, "It's cwab season!"

Unread 05/09/2006, 05:53 PM   #466
Stormtrker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Here is a picture I got of Sally's pond in here back yard....and the creature swimming in it. I was trying to get a closer shot but just couldn't.

Hey Pat, glad yall had a great vacation and got to meet some of the TBS tank gang. Is that an alligator in Sally's pond?
Carla

Unread 05/09/2006, 07:28 PM   #467
Red_Six
Registered Member

Can someone post a picture or a link to this crab catching tool from Sears. I hope to get my TBS package soon.

Unread 05/09/2006, 09:01 PM   #468
jallen1964
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
You should also try testing for nitrites and nitrates. It could be that the bacteria in the tank are converting the ammonia to nitrite. You may just be one of the lucky ones who has a really easy cycle We'd love it if you'd post some pics of your tank....we LOVE pictures.

Good call Danielle. My ammonia never showed, but my nitrites were sky high. A large water change has brought them down. Thanks

John

Current Tank Info: 130gal. TBS
Unread 05/09/2006, 09:13 PM   #469
Safir
Registered Member

sears site is down, but here's one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Flexible-Spring-...QQcmdZViewItem

Unread 05/09/2006, 09:24 PM   #470
Red_Six
Registered Member

Thanks for the tool picture. I have one

Unread 05/09/2006, 09:33 PM   #471
jharler
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jallen1964
Good call Danielle. My ammonia never showed, but my nitrites were sky high. A large water change has brought them down. Thanks

John
I asked about doing a water change for nitrates in my tank journal thread and Richard said not to worry about it. He said that in the gulf, nitrates are usually around 35-40 ppm. He said doing a water change for the nitrates will only slow down the cycle and suggested only changing for ammonia.

Edited to add: In fact, he told me not to even bother testing for anything but ammonia. However, I am keeping a spreadsheet so I can see how the readings change over the course of my cycle.

Current Tank Info: 30 Gallon TBS
Unread 05/10/2006, 06:28 AM   #472
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jharler
I asked about doing a water change for nitrates in my tank journal thread and Richard said not to worry about it. He said that in the gulf, nitrates are usually around 35-40 ppm. He said doing a water change for the nitrates will only slow down the cycle and suggested only changing for ammonia.

Edited to add: In fact, he told me not to even bother testing for anything but ammonia. However, I am keeping a spreadsheet so I can see how the readings change over the course of my cycle.
There is a big difference between NitrItes and NitrAtes.

Yes Carla....that is an alligator in their pond.

Unread 05/10/2006, 06:51 AM   #473
bobt2
Registered Member

just keep doing water changes for the amm. i had a bad cycle and did 2 changes a day till i found a bad sponge. i never lost anything because of all the backbreaking changes

Unread 05/10/2006, 07:59 AM   #474
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaredt
today a dead gorilla surfaced and was laying dead on a rock upide down...all together not torn up. Not sure why this happened...has something like this happened to any of you?

take care,
Jared
Probably just a molt.

Glad to see some fresh rock pics.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 05/10/2006, 08:09 AM   #475
drk70
Premium Member

You can get the "claw" at Home Depot too!

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Closed Thread