Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/13/2016, 07:41 AM   #226
gdemos
Registered Member

My plan at present is to keep things as is although I will try out AF pro bio s for some bacterial diversity. I have been using Coral e and b and I like what I'm seeing! So far as making a full switch perhaps but AF is new in the us and I'm not an early adopter type.

I plan on letting the current pellet load burn down to lesser media and will then increase effluent rate.

Yeah daddy daughter is outlawed. Too gender specific. I get that some daughters don't have father figures and that could be an issue. But this is more about gender neutrality. Crazy times. At least my anthias are not alone now in their wavering gender issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2016, 12:21 PM   #227
gdemos
Registered Member

Well i am continuing to get excess biomass and/or excess undisolved polymer build up in the reactor. left unattended for a couple weeks results in restricted flow. i basically have to break down the reactor for thorough cleaning of ALL lines and fittings Monthly to remove the sludge.

Having run the reactor now for a few months with less media I believe that teh media chamber does not have the weight needed to keep the pellets flowing evenly. as a result i am tumbling more aggressively otherwise i cant get the whole chamber to tumble properly. this is likely causing increased rate of media breakdown and shedding of material quickly enough to cause buildup.

so i'm going more media. keeping effluent constant this should have no adverse impact.

FYI, the former Reef Dynamics, now Aquarium source is in beta testing for a whole new reactor.

Unread 08/08/2016, 06:49 PM   #228
NS Mike D
Registered Member

my reactor can't keep the pellets flowing more than a few day and so the sludge builds up. I have given up and am not going to upgrade the reactor so I just make cleaning it part of my regular maintenance. The outflow has a fine filtration bag on it so that the sludge doesn't go back into the tank and will be exported during he cleaning. While it's more work, IMO, the mechanical removal of the build up is pretty effective. Not my first choice, but it get the job done.

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2016, 10:59 PM   #229
RTab619
Registered Member

Following

RTab619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2016, 06:11 PM   #230
gdemos
Registered Member

NS- I have thought about putting an inline filter of sorts but when the sludge build up occurs it is pervasive. Clings to every line/pipe/fitting and just builds up. I've found in my setup the increase volume of pellets indeed weights down better and allows for more even and subtle fluidization. So if this then slows the breaking down of the media it should help somewhat in excess biomass.

Unread 08/23/2016, 08:29 AM   #231
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
Well i am continuing to get excess biomass and/or excess undisolved polymer build up in the reactor. left unattended for a couple weeks results in restricted flow. i basically have to break down the reactor for thorough cleaning of ALL lines and fittings Monthly to remove the sludge.

Having run the reactor now for a few months with less media I believe that teh media chamber does not have the weight needed to keep the pellets flowing evenly. as a result i am tumbling more aggressively otherwise i cant get the whole chamber to tumble properly. this is likely causing increased rate of media breakdown and shedding of material quickly enough to cause buildup.

so i'm going more media. keeping effluent constant this should have no adverse impact.

FYI, the former Reef Dynamics, now Aquarium source is in beta testing for a whole new reactor.
You know dude, that's so odd.. I honestly can only think of one thing at this point, floaters.. But that is even a long shot.. That or shedding.. But I tried something when I moved, and I still am having no issues after two months: I turned up the tumble, but the flow through is just a trickle.. And still, it's flowing fine.. And no sludge..

Is there possibly anything in your water, possibly anything, that could be affecting them? Because besides tumble, floaters that got through, and shedding, I've never heard or seen that.. Maybe an additive? Can you think of anything? Including feeding and what's in the food that may cause this or an excessive shredding(and honestly, at this point I mean shredding, because it's like it's melting the pellets in your case)?

I'm at a loss to bee honest.. What did Jeff have to say?

from note 7

DamonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2016, 08:39 AM   #232
gdemos
Registered Member

Jeff is out of the biz so no corresponding there. So far as additives or anything that may create sludge I can't say for sure. This was happening before any AF products I've been using (coral e, b, pro bio s) and very sparingly. Other additives haven't changed much, heavy feeding, aminos, potassium, iron, lugols. I did speak with seachem (I use salinity salt and fuel, purigen) and spoke about remediation so trying that out. Thinking remediation could be a new strain of Bacteria to help breakdown sludge. We concluded the call with: increase the flow through reactor. Also reduce pellets but in my size reactor a low volume of media makes for uneven tumble so I just bumped the flow, continue my feeding and monitoring. So far less sludge.

Unread 08/24/2016, 07:39 AM   #233
Aqualund
Registered Member

Wow. That's so weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualund View Post

So my recommendation in these situations is always to reduce the amount of pellets in the reactor, and open up the effluent output (higher gph into the system).

Aqualund is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2016, 08:05 AM   #234
gdemos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualund View Post
Wow. That's so weird.
thanks for your help Aqualund, immodest deliberate condescension noted. Take into account my situation here: reduction in media = fluidization problems (in my reactor). so taken alone, your suggestion in my case is not entirely helpful. As also i would say that Dr. Tims pellets is the be all-end all, i would contest in my endeavors.

i would prefer to think that anyone researching or actively using Biopellet would stand to benefit by reading through my observations.

Unread 08/24/2016, 08:38 AM   #235
Aqualund
Registered Member

Imagine my position: Regularly log into the site to offer advice and suggestions in order to help increase the success rate of the hobby, and have my advice continually overlooked, and even go so far as to read that the same advice was only taken when given from someone at seachem (months later!).

Why even ask for advice on these forums if you regularly ignore it, and the only advice you do value is from people working for companies with brand identity?

Thank you for noting my condescension, and to be fair, I think it is well deserved.

Unread 09/11/2016, 03:24 PM   #236
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

mysis

point of interest...someone said above the mysis is low in phosphate...

yes..that may be true but the *water* that they packkkk it in is LOADED
with phosphate...So...if someone is simply melting Mysis in their tank they are adding phosphate.

cheers

Tim

Current Tank Info: 160 gallon reef

Last edited by Sohal Tang Tim; 09/11/2016 at 03:32 PM.
Sohal Tang Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 04:25 PM   #237
trueperc
Registered Member

Can any one help two guys out. Both of us have been in the hobby for while but are thinking about using bio pellets. Currently both of us are using no pox. What we seem to be stuck on is the reactor. From most I have read, recirculating is the way to go. My friend seems to remember, it does not matter and really is leaning toward the aquamaxx. I have to say at almost half the cost of most recirculating reactors I am leaning too. Can you help with a reason for recirculating over normal reactor or does it really matter?

trueperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2016, 07:30 AM   #238
gdemos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueperc View Post
Can any one help two guys out. Both of us have been in the hobby for while but are thinking about using bio pellets. Currently both of us are using no pox. What we seem to be stuck on is the reactor. From most I have read, recirculating is the way to go. My friend seems to remember, it does not matter and really is leaning toward the aquamaxx. I have to say at almost half the cost of most recirculating reactors I am leaning too. Can you help with a reason for recirculating over normal reactor or does it really matter?
There are others here that have tried numerous types of BP Reactors, my only experience is with a recirculating (Reef Dynamics 500 which is no longer in production). The commonly accepted benefit of the recirc reactor is the ability to independently adjust effluent rate and tumble or media fluidization rate.

Unread 09/15/2016, 07:29 AM   #239
Aqualund
Registered Member

I make recirculating reactors and use them on about 10 systems in my coral farm and 15 maintenance customer locations (and have sold about 150 units). To me, it just seems obvious, and second nature. On my home DT I put in pellets about 6 months ago and just now I am thinking about adding more pellets. But I havent had to touch it once, have done no water changes, and My PO4 is <.08 and NO3 is <1ppm.

It's a great way to manage Nitrates is a safe manner,.

Unread 10/20/2016, 09:40 AM   #240
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Just found this thread. I purchased one of Aqualund's reactors earlier this year after attempting to use bio pellets in a cheaper non-recirculating one with frustratingly little result. It's certainly more expensive than the DIY I was going to try, but it's well designed and made and I am very happy with my purchase.
My nitrates have gone from 30+ to .2-.5 (Salifert). Phosphates do not show up on a test, but I'm growing a healthy red "fluff" in my sump and a few very small spots of GHA in the display, so I'm assuming it's just getting consumed.
I noticed big reduction recently on algae on the glass, then saw that my output from the reactor had been clogged, so I'm thinking I need to turn down the effluent, which I just did.
I've been using Dr. Tim's pearls, which state in the instructions it wasn't necessary to feed the output directly into my skimmer. I'm now doing that as well, just to see if I can skim out more "stuff". Other brands say to do this, not sure why Tim's says it's not required.
Comments?

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2016, 07:03 PM   #241
gdemos
Registered Member

Teaser thanks for stopping by I hope you've gained a lot of insight on biopellets here! So far as the necessity of directing the effluent to the skimmer intake I'd say it's a safe bet that provided the effluent is with range of your skimmer intake and that your skimmer is capable of the added flow and biological then you're ok I personally have my effluent plumbed to the skimmer intake.
You say your effluent line was clogged? How severely clogged? Hopefully not as bad as mine has shown to get! So far as what to do when your effluent line is clogged it could be due to your tumble/fluidization rate being too aggressive and therefore you are getting excessive media degradation and the blockage is comprised of undisolved media, or it could be excess biomass due to several things (a) a lot of nutrient load 'feeding the pellets' (high nutrients: high biomass) (b) too much dwell time in the reactor (biomass compounding growth as it dwells in the system and ultimately clogs) this therefore may suggest INCREASING effluent rate. Just bare in mind that as you increase effluent rate you're also 'potentially' moving more nutrient depleted water into your system and 'may' need to increase feeding. Depending on your livestock I'd suggest make the adjustments you feel you need to make to your reactor and observe. Watch your corals for signs of nutrient depletion or excess and testing nutrient parameters as your second eye on things. Keep posting your progress.

Unread 10/20/2016, 07:50 PM   #242
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

The line was partially clogged with a few whole pellets and some "goo", very little was getting through. I returned back from a week away and immediately saw a difference with very little algae on the glass, then found the clog. My pellets were not tumbling much at all. I've had some difficultly in the past with setting the proper tumble and noticing not all of the pellets were moving in a uniform way. I had to adjust it every week or so.
My nitrates are low, so I'm thinking it was time to dial back the effluent. The output tumbling the pellets is a pvc 45 degree elbow with a short extension close to the bottom of the reactor. I cleaned the reactor and modified the tumbling output, raising it slightly and drilling 4 evenly spaced small holes to move some of the water horizontally. The result is a very even gentle tumble. Time will tell if it makes a difference, but I'm thinking I'll be adjusting much less frequently.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2020, 08:58 AM   #243
cwschoon
Registered Member

Please forgive the revival of this thread. I will go through it tonight but I have a basic question: I am looking at the JNS Alpha 1 for my medium stocked 125 mixed reef and it comes with 250ml of pellets. Can someone please guide me on the appropriate volume of pellets? Any other basic advice is appreciated and my apologies for not having the time to read this long thread beforehand, if my question has already been answered.

cwschoon is offline   Reply With Quote