Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2021, 10:43 AM   #1
Yodeling
Registered Member

Humidity control

Hey folks,

I’ll be getting my basement finished soon and plan on starting a large tank (300-ish gallons). My wife is worried about humidity. I did some research and the answers are all over the place, suggesting anything from fans, to HRV, to whole house dehumidifiers. I’m thinking the answer probably depends on the specific situation.

In my case, the tank/sump will be located in a large open space in the basement. We have 3 Lennox HVAC systems (one for each floor), and they all have humidity control built in (I believe it’s achieved through variable speed operation during AC mode - but not heat). The house itself is about 7,800 sqft including the basement, so there’s a lot of space for the humidity to spread around. The air can move freely between floors. Should I be worried about humidity? If so, what would be the appropriate way to control it?

Thanks.

Yodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2021, 02:30 PM   #2
ohioreef
Registered Member

I wouldn’t be too concerned until I knew I had a problem. Get a humidistat and place it in the basement to see what your humidity levels are. If they are high get a dehumidifier.

Unread 01/18/2021, 04:59 AM   #3
thirst
Registered Member

300 gallons should be okay. I run a dehumidifier but I run a lot of surface area in a 800 sq ft basement.

I do monitor my humidity with this thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2021, 08:12 AM   #4
Raoul5Duke
Registered Member

Running a ~ 460 gallons in a basement as well and never have any issues. Used a
dehumidifier for a while which filled up about once a week I think. Now I just run a fan like this: https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-HAWF20...0979053&sr=8-3
which is cheap and easy.

Raoul5Duke is offline   Reply With Quote