Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2019, 09:22 AM   #1
Reefen
Registered Member

not understanding phosphate usage

I have recently started dosing nitrate and phosphate because I dose vodka and nutrients where zero, so what I am seeing is, nitrate is not being used and phosphate is being used a lot, I will put in enough phosphate to get a reading of .047 and it is gone the next day, testing with hanna phosphorus ULR and doing the conversion. why is this happening?

Reefen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2019, 05:15 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

There are a lot of possibilities. The phosphate might be going into growth, or it might be adsorbing onto the live rock or sand, for example. What is the nitrate level? Organisms generally consume a lot more nitrate than phosphate.

Unread 07/31/2019, 08:02 PM   #3
SantaMonica
Registered Member

The best solution of course is to just feed more. Aside from that, new live rock will grab a lot of phosphate for year or so.

Unread 08/01/2019, 05:01 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Have you stopped/slowed down your vodka dosing?

I giggle a bit seeing "I need to dose n/p because I'm dosing vodka"... and want to say "stop dosing vodka and let your nutrients come up naturally..

Unread 08/01/2019, 12:18 PM   #5
clevername
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post

I giggle a bit seeing "I need to dose n/p because I'm dosing vodka"... and want to say "stop dosing vodka and let your nutrients come up naturally..
Its always funny on here to see people creating their own problems. Leave the tank be, weekly water changes. Dose alk, cal when needed.... reefing is so simple until people get involved

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2019, 01:18 PM   #6
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername2000 View Post
Its always funny on here to see people creating their own problems. Leave the tank be, weekly water changes. Dose alk, cal when needed.... reefing is so simple until people get involved
The only problem with what you say is that the reef in our home is very small and has no natural way of getting rid of excess NO3 and PO4. The oceans in nature are so vast that nature can take care of the excess nutrients. Imagine what it would be like if the entirety of the oceans where as densely populated with fish and corals as our tanks.

Waves are mother nature's skimmer.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Reefen
Registered Member

I want to thank every one for there reply, for some reason I did not get the notices in my email that you guys replied. I have stop dosing vodka, and I am try to get some chaeto going. right now my tank is not using any phosphate or nitrates

Unread 08/06/2019, 04:13 PM   #8
Reefen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post

the reason I wanted to does the nutrients was to keep my corals from bleaching more

Unread 08/06/2019, 04:18 PM   #9
Reefen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
The best solution of course is to just feed more. Aside from that, new live rock will grab a lot of phosphate for year or so.
feeding more does work, but there is not as much control. I had just got rid of algae by vodka dosing and did want to put too many nutrients back in

Unread 08/07/2019, 09:28 AM   #10
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
... The oceans in nature are so vast that nature can take care of the excess nutrients. ....
This may have been true in the past but it certainly is no longer the case today.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote