User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2013, 08:22 AM   #51
watchguy123
Registered Member

A few more pics

tyree blue matrix

Not a sps but pretty, tyree agent orange

toxic green tort

Superman digitata, blue body but requires a lot of light to get that blue body. Mine is near the top of the tank.

watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2013, 10:04 AM   #52
Henry Colf
Registered Member

Awesome pictures of some saweet pieces!!!!! Great looking tank!!!

Henry Colf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2013, 03:19 PM   #53
André Silvestre
Reefaholic

Stunning, simply stunning!

That´s got to be the first M. digitata superman I have ever seen, even in photos!

Looks really cool!

The top down shots are superb. Incredible collection of sps. Well done Mark!

André

André Silvestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2013, 07:57 PM   #54
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Colf View Post
Awesome pictures of some saweet pieces!!!!! Great looking tank!!!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by André Silvestre View Post
Stunning, simply stunning!

That´s got to be the first M. digitata superman I have ever seen, even in photos!

Looks really cool!

The top down shots are superb. Incredible collection of sps. Well done Mark!

André
thanks for the compliments, some pictures to follow

Unread 02/27/2013, 08:07 PM   #55
watchguy123
Registered Member

A couple more pictures to share for this evening:

Strawberry shortcake, Just love this colony--its colors are screaming. I tried clipping a couple of frags and you can see the hole I put into its previously perfect circular form. The good thing is that it will grow again.

This is another colony of strawberry shortcake that I got from a different source and it obviously is a different morph. Good looking but not quite as dramatic as the one above.

Not quite sure if this is Steve Elias Stag or Paletta's Baby blue. Had both frags and then got mixed up. Either way it is nice.

This is a no name that I nicknamed skinny pearl berry . It is a wild colony that I got as a very small frag. It is growing with its "back" to the front of the display so I am planning on cutting it at its base and placing it in a new spot with its "face" aimed at the front glass.

Unread 02/27/2013, 08:38 PM   #56
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorite acros and yours is textbook coloration. Very nice

280g radium lit sps flat living in my garage rent free.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2013, 09:10 PM   #57
Reef or Die
Registered Member

Really beautiful pictures and corals. Top down view is the best IMO!!

Reef or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2013, 07:20 AM   #58
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapg8gt View Post
Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorite acros and yours is textbook coloration. Very nice
Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorites as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef or Die View Post
Really beautiful pictures and corals. Top down view is the best IMO!!
top down are so cool, its a view we rarely get to see. and Thank you

Unread 02/28/2013, 07:29 AM   #59
watchguy123
Registered Member

A few more from the other day:

scc planet earth, it has so many colors in it from the base on up. Another favorite

It looked liket it was having a nuclear rxn at the tip, so this is the close up of the above pic.

This is a rouge millie, not the tyree. I have the tyree rouge as well and this is a little deeper in coloration.

This is Rommel's Watermelon Millie (not the rommel watermelon acro) It changes colors slightly at different times (like over weeks). Sometimes it is bright yellow and sometimes it has an orange body that is pretty evident. To the left are a few branches of ora pearl berry and to the right is nick's bubblegum watermelon but I have better pictures of those and I will get to them eventually.

Unread 02/28/2013, 02:56 PM   #60
cugly
Dansreeftank

Wow amazing..

Unread 03/01/2013, 03:01 PM   #61
jg93
Registered Member

"In my defense, all the original frags were so small and there was so much space. And there is always one more acro that I have never seen before, and how much space it could really take up. I am sure I am not the only person addicted to coral "

No sir indeed you are not

This is where I am right now. So many little frags. You give me hope for the future!

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Rimless mixed, 60 Gallon rimless cube Zoas & LPS
jg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2013, 03:55 PM   #62
dvanacker
DID I SOUNDS SMRT??

simply top notch Mark. Your killin it.

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS dominant Mixed Reef
dvanacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2013, 08:56 PM   #63
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg93 View Post
"In my defense, all the original frags were so small and there was so much space. And there is always one more acro that I have never seen before, and how much space it could really take up. I am sure I am not the only person addicted to coral "

No sir indeed you are not

This is where I am right now. So many little frags. You give me hope for the future!
Hey, thank you for taking my side

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanacker View Post
simply top notch Mark. Your killin it.
I much appreciate your kind words

A couple of pics to share:

Reeftek starburst, I guess I should have done a close up because it is the bright yellow polyps that are so awesome. Grows great and really pretty

Red hyacinth, I believe Not the red planet--no green to speak of. This one colony grows out like an outstretched hand

Red Dragon. Here are two pics of the same colony because I like it so much. The pictures came out a little too purple. I corrected the temp to 20 k but this is what came out, anyway. My colony is getting big, like 5 to 6 inches across. The base is tiny, not a lot of encrusting. But it breaks so easily, i imagine the base does not need to be all that strong.

Red Convexa. I really do not have favorites, but this is my favorite. It is bright and vivid and red. It is just so darn cool. I discovered something pretty interesting after I fragged a couple of pieces. The fragged ends are growing multiple branches. It seems this coral as a defense mechanism encourages multiple branches to coalesce into a stronger, reinforced coral. Ultimately making it bulkier. So now I need to rethink my trimming approach to it.

Unread 03/01/2013, 10:57 PM   #64
Tater11
Registered Member

wow great looking tank love the pics.

Tater11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2013, 07:04 AM   #65
derek.reef
Registered Member

What are the differences between lighting, flow etc between your two strawberry shortcakes?

derek.reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2013, 11:52 AM   #66
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek.reef View Post
What are the differences between lighting, flow etc between your two strawberry shortcakes?
Not much difference that is discernible. I think they are just two different morphs of the strawberry shortcake

A few additional pics:

Purple monster, mine is up high, blasted with flow and light. It grows much faster than I would have expected it to because it has a reputation of being a slow grower. I got my frag originally from Copps. I have already taken three frags from it and fortunately it healed up well and the frags did ok to. I fragged it kind of on a dare.

Pink smoothie digitata This is really pink and cool looking. Digi's and monti's get snubbed because they grow so easily. But many of them, like the pink smoothie are really pretty. I almost ripped this guy out a while ago and glad I did not. It is somewhat near my purple monster so I am not exactly sure what the long term holds for this colony. I really like my purple monster.

Pink lobo Its not an sps obviously but I like it a lot. Just a very pretty color. I got this soon after my tank crashed a couple of years ago and almost lost it at that time. Who would put a coral into a tank that had just crashed and wasn't right?! It receded a lot, would not inflate and after months of letting the tank reestablish itself, this coral finally started to heal and has come back. Three lessons learned, 1. don't let your tank crash 2. don't stock an unstable tank 3. don't throw anything away, there is a lot of recovery potential in these darn things.

Unread 03/02/2013, 12:03 PM   #67
watchguy123
Registered Member

Even if you are crazy for sps, gotta love a good looking favia People eater favia Not the world's fastest growing creature but worth the wait.

ORA pearlberry. Probably one of the most beautiful corals there is. The colors are captivating. There are lots of exotic colored corals out there, but pretty hard to beat this one for beauty. It grows well and its absolutely stunning (isn't that the perfect combination)

Tyree pastel war coral Pink, red white--its awesome. Apparently those orange shrooms to the left are not impressed, because they keep stinging it. Lots of the war coral morphs are aggressive with really long stingers but this colony has really short stingers.

Orange setosa I need to take a front view because this thing is getting huge and growing in a spiraling fashion. It is bright and orange--that is great.

Unread 03/02/2013, 12:30 PM   #68
footballdude2k3
Registered Member.

Looks great, LOVE that favia

footballdude2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2013, 12:54 PM   #69
tfp
Registered Member

awesome collection and colors!

Current Tank Info: Envisions 400g (96x32x30) online January 2012. 4-72" VHOs,7-OceanRevive T247,Aquamaxx Cone 6 Skimmer, Aquamaxx S3 CR,Aquariumplants CO2 regulator, Jebao SOW20's, 80w Emperor UV, tang dominated with anthias and longspine cards
tfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2013, 02:28 PM   #70
Sps Dream
Registered Member

Perfect.

Unread 03/02/2013, 07:36 PM   #71
cFloor
Registered Member

this is awesome... all of it
keep em coming!

cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2013, 09:31 PM   #72
dvanacker
DID I SOUNDS SMRT??

The colours you are pulling on all your corals are amazing.

Get we get a recent FTS ?

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS dominant Mixed Reef
dvanacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2013, 12:26 AM   #73
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

Just incredible. Wow. How long have you had most of these colonies?

Current Tank Info: Too many
Mangodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2013, 03:59 AM   #74
jason angel
Registered Member

Awesome SPS collection. One of the best here. SUBSCRIBED! keep the pics coming!!

Unread 03/03/2013, 09:23 AM   #75
watchguy123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfp View Post
awesome collection and colors!
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sps Dream View Post
Perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
this is awesome... all of it
keep em coming!
got some more to share
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanacker View Post
The colours you are pulling on all your corals are amazing.

Get we get a recent FTS ?
Once I finish sharing the top down, I will start taking the front shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangodude View Post
Just incredible. Wow. How long have you had most of these colonies?
The oldest are about18 to 20 months old, my tank had a complete crash, total wipe-out(everything croaked) in 2011. I let the tank sit fallow for a few months and started adding livestock again near the end of that summer, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason angel View Post
Awesome SPS collection. One of the best here. SUBSCRIBED! keep the pics coming!!
It is really fun sharing photos and I have more to go from the top down.

Not yet famous prostrata (I did not name it, this is what the LFS labeled it)) Again this picture came out with a little too much blue even though I color corrected to 20k. the pink smoothie edge at the bottom has the correct color and the rock seems to look correct. Anyway, this started out multi-colored and has been changing. You can still see the green growing rim. so it still has green, red, blue but it had more as a tiny frag. It is starting to take off so it will be interesting to see how it progresses and changes.

This is Nick's pink dahlia. The top down is stunning and more flattering than the front view. Bought this from fellow reefer, Nick. His colony croaked so I had the pleasure of returning the favor and sent a frag back to its home tank. In the second pic, you can see a bunch of reef epoxy (the pinkish clay stuff) around the pink dahlia because I had an overstimulated tyree true undata think the tank was its to overtake. Also notice some sting between the pink dahlia and its neighbor. Some acros just can't play nice.

Nick's bubble gum millie Here is the frustration of trying to capture true colors in reef photography. Two pics taken at the same time, adjusted I believe equally to 20 k but neither one is quite correct. The truth is the correct coloring lies between these two pictures. My photo skills are a work in progress, sorry. Anyway, the coral is shaded on its right half by the red convex and you can see the difference in color and polyp extension. I am building up the courage to cut a major branch of the covexa and give this coral a little bit more light.

Mystic sunset monti Bright red and blue and another really aggressive monti. It has virtually no stinging capability but that's not how it fights. It encroaches on acros, gets stung, dies back and encrusts over its dead skeleton to start this march over and over again until it can scale over the acro. Persistent guys, they are the tortoise (in the tortoise and hare race)