Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/05/2019, 03:38 AM   #1
adamsfour
Registered Member

Very High Boron

I recently received my test results from ICP-analysis and they identified excessive high level of Boron (10 times normal). I have no clue of the source. Looking at other post potential sources is Salt, dosing additives, maybe RO/DI water, or Frozen food. When I first got the result I questioned the accuracy of the results but based on the second test (with same results) I assume they are correct. I have to assume others have a similar issue and looking for anyone who identified the source and was able to correct. The common remedy is water changes. I do 10 percent per week already and after the first results did increase it for a while with no change. Thanks in advance

adamsfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2019, 04:32 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Did you test a fresh batch of saltwater?
Do you use a calcium reactor?
Alk supplements often contain it too.. Dosing alk?
Switch foods?

Besides removing the source which can be any of the above water changes are the only way to remove/reduce it assuming its not coming from your salt mix.

Unread 09/05/2019, 04:57 AM   #3
adamsfour
Registered Member

Did you test a fresh batch of saltwater?
(adamsfour) No this is a good idea, the problem is there are very few Boron test available and they are fairly expensive. I am using instant ocean and would be hard to believe its that high
Do you use a calcium reactor?
(adamsfour) No I use liquid Calcium from Sea Chem
Alk supplements often contain it too.. Dosing alk?
(adamsfour). This was my thinking too. I am using Brightwell. It doesn't indicate anything on the label I know that doesn't mean it doesn't contain it.
Switch foods?
(adamsfour) I feed frozen brine shrimp. given the size of the cube I guess it could be a source but seems a bit of a stretch
I forgot to mention I also use Chem-pure, Phosguard, Nitrate removal. So I assume any of those can be a source.

Besides removing the source which can be any of the above water changes are the only way to remove/reduce it assuming its not coming from your salt mix.

Unread 09/05/2019, 10:45 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Brightwell Alk lists borate salts as one of its main ingredients..

Unread 09/05/2019, 11:36 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

Some pH buffers, like SeaChem Marine Buffer, have a fair amount of boron in the form of borate, which will raise pH a bit. It's possible that the reading is in error, as well. Testing for boron is difficult. A 10% water change will lower the reading only by 10% in the very best case, and possibly not at all if the salt mix has excessive boron.

Unread 09/06/2019, 01:00 AM   #6
ydshim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Some pH buffers, like SeaChem Marine Buffer, have a fair amount of boron in the form of borate, which will raise pH a bit. It's possible that the reading is in error, as well. Testing for boron is difficult. A 10% water change will lower the reading only by 10% in the very best case, and possibly not at all if the salt mix has excessive boron.

I also know that Borate is a one of the buffering agent and Borin is able to increas a pink & red color intensity of a some corals.
Do you experience any changes of your corals in high boron level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ydshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2019, 10:56 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

I never used any of those buffers, so I never had a high borate level in my own tanks.

Unread 09/08/2019, 08:08 PM   #8
ydshim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I never used any of those buffers, so I never had a high borate level in my own tanks.

Aaa I'm sorry, It's a my mistake of quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ydshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2020, 05:38 AM   #9
adamsfour
Registered Member

So I continue to have this issue. I had another test by ICP and again the Boron numbers all excessive. I did purchase a Boron test kit and confirmed the ICP numbers. I also test my fresh talk water and they were normal. Clearly its something I am adding of using in my tank.

Unread 01/27/2020, 03:14 PM   #10
Sk8r
RC Mod

A salt mix can settle---I take some out of the drum and roll the drum across the floor and up and down to try to be sure it hasn't. And a mistake can happen at the 'manufacturer'. I had magnesium soar in my tank using Oceanic salt, and finally just switched brands and did some water changes with Instant Ocean, changing to Reef Crystals (higher calcium etc)

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2020, 08:17 PM   #11
bertoni
RC Mod

This is very strange. What additives are going into the system? I would be surprised if fish food could do that, but it might be possible.

Unread 01/27/2020, 08:38 PM   #12
adamsfour
Registered Member

Other than salt virtually everything else is a Sea Chem product and I do not add PH buffer which I know is a source. I using Sea Chem Calcium, Reef Carbonate, Phosguard, X-nitrate, CupriSorb, Iodine, and Strontium. Besides that the only other item is Chemipure and Brightwell Magnesium. I add very little frozen food at a feeding but guess it possible but would be surprised

Unread 01/28/2020, 03:47 PM   #13
bertoni
RC Mod

Out of those, the most likely sources, and I'm not say that they are very likely, would be the magnesium or alkalinity supplements. I might try dosing some baking soda for a while. Dosing the Reef Carbonate into some freshly-mixed water and testing for carbonate might be interesting, too, but I don't know how much to add to make a detectable difference. The description of Reef Carbonate says that it'll tend to raise the pH over time, which makes me think borate buffering, but there's not enough information to be sure.