Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2020, 12:40 PM   #51
vlangel
Registered Member

Sadly I just found Guardian dead on the bottom of the tank. That stinks, I really thought even though it appeared that he had a bacterial thing going on with the gills on the right, he was eating so well that I thought he was going to beat it. Bummer! Down to 13 fish...good thing I am not superstitious!

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2020, 04:27 PM   #52
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sorry to hear that. All the other new guys look OK?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2020, 06:26 AM   #53
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Sorry to hear that. All the other new guys look OK?
Yes, I do not see anything concerning in regards to the other fish. I love yellow watchman gobies and yet something always happens to them in my tank.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 03/25/2020, 05:25 PM   #54
vlangel
Registered Member

New video featuring new fish!
https://youtu.be/j0IvFsFqEXY

Last edited by vlangel; 03/25/2020 at 05:31 PM.
Unread 03/25/2020, 06:11 PM   #55
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Very nice! Enjoyed the vid. So much to see, with corals and macros. Tank looks great, fish look great.

Unread 03/26/2020, 04:57 AM   #56
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Very nice! Enjoyed the vid. So much to see, with corals and macros. Tank looks great, fish look great.
Thank you Michael. I am really pleased with this tank and the direction it has gone. It's pretty dirty in the video and the water gurgling is much exaggerated. It's not silent but more of a gentle gurgle like those little fountains people get for their living rooms. Most of the water noise comes from the gyre since I have it rippling the surface. I much prefer that to it trenching my sanded.

Unread 03/26/2020, 05:38 AM   #57
vlangel
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/dsQB8NoCapw

This video is better than the prior one. Although there is still the water noise, I cleaned the glass and captured the fish better.

I need to turn the gyre off when I am doing videos so the loud gurgling does not distract from the tank.

Unread 04/02/2020, 08:53 AM   #58
vlangel
Registered Member

This morning I got an ORA aquacultured Hippopus clam with the credit from my fish losses. I feel inverts have a better chance being mailed overnight and I have been wanting another clam ever since I sold my blue crocea.

I placed this 2" clam at the bottom of the tank in the sand with a cup shaped piece of live rock under it. It's my hope that it attaches its byssal thread to the rock and then it can be moved if that is ever necessary. I will video it when it opens and the lights are on.

Unread 04/02/2020, 09:21 AM   #59
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool. I've never kept a clam. I look forward to hearing your experience. Good luck with it!

Unread 04/02/2020, 05:40 PM   #60
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool. I've never kept a clam. I look forward to hearing your experience. Good luck with it!
This is only my 2nd clam but I had very good luck with the blue crocea. They are supposedly the most difficult as they have high light needs. HOT5s are pretty effective though and I did keep that clam up higher in the tank. This Hippopus clam needs only medium light and should be on the substrate. I had never heard of Hippopus clams and now that I got one I think I know why: they are not nearly as showy as the other greater clams. It's color is kind of plain and it's mantel does not hang over the shell at all. It was less money and I am ok with it being a little ordinary. It looks and acts healthy and that is what I really care about.

Unread 04/02/2020, 09:53 PM   #61
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Come to think of it, I have 2-3 bivalves still living in the live rock, so I guess I have kept clams. Just not the fancy kind. It sounds like the one you have is a less gaudy, sturdier species. And you're adding even more diversity to your community, so it should be a good addition. How about a pic?

Unread 04/04/2020, 05:53 PM   #62
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHgjE1Z9U92njxPb6
Meet Clam-chops!

Unread 04/04/2020, 08:44 PM   #63
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Very nice. How big do they get?

Unread 04/05/2020, 04:36 AM   #64
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Very nice. How big do they get?
I was disappointed that he was closed up when I took the pic. He had been opened most of the day. I think they get to be about 6" which is a good size for my relatively small tank. They are a fast growing clam too. I named the blue crocea that I had so I thought I should give this one a name too. So he is Clam-chops!

Unread 04/05/2020, 04:35 PM   #65
vlangel
Registered Member

Here is an open pic of Clam-chops!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zZYWumowUvYjarDc8

Of course Flame has to photo bomb every pic!

Unread 04/13/2020, 10:41 AM   #66
vlangel
Registered Member

This afternoon I sold my chiller and skimmer. This tank never runs hot with the basement sump and I do not need a skimmer with a high nutrient tank. I don't save (even good) stuff anymore if I think someone else can be using it right now. Also I don't want to create a nightmare for my kids to go through someday when I am gone. LOL

Unread 04/13/2020, 10:50 AM   #67
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Right on, Dawn. That totally makes sense.

How's the refugium section doing? Getting any macro growth? Any conclusions/obsevations on the new system? Will you be interested in some shoal grass anytime soon? I ask because I'm close to being ready to remove some, so I'd like to send you some.

Unread 04/15/2020, 09:39 AM   #68
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Right on, Dawn. That totally makes sense.

How's the refugium section doing? Getting any macro growth? Any conclusions/obsevations on the new system? Will you be interested in some shoal grass anytime soon? I ask because I'm close to being ready to remove some, so I'd like to send you some.
The 30 gallon fuge is doing great and yes there is lots of macro growth. I predominantly have feather caulerpa in it but I would love shoal grass and would be happy to buy your leftovers. I will remove the caulerpa off the sandbed and just leave it grow on the live rock that is in the fuge. PM me an address and what you would like for them and I will be thrilled.

My observations are that the macro algae will probably continue to do well if I make sure the nutrients are plentiful. Shamefully I have not tested nitrates or PO4 to see where things are exactly. I am assuming(and that can get me in trouble)that since the inverts (snails, shrimp and crabs)are doing well that the nitrates are not off the charts high.

Unread 04/15/2020, 09:52 AM   #69
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good to hear, the fuge is doing well!

I'm still building up my gumption for pulling shoal grass, but when I do, I'll make arrangements with you. In my mind, the ideal scenario would be a trade, where you send me something and I send you something, and no money changes hands. The challenge is that I'm so particular. Any macros you think I might like?

Unread 04/16/2020, 11:43 AM   #70
vlangel
Registered Member

Knowing what I do about your tank I don't think I would have anything of interest for a trade. I am down to just feather and green grape caulerpa and red grape caulerpa, red titan and codium in the macros. I do have some purple photosynthetic sponge which is nice if you are interested in that and a nice green/chocolate brown palythoa but both of those may not fit with the vision you have for your tank. I have 2 scallops that naturally grew on some rock I have and I might be able to cut the rock so you can have one of them? Other than that I can not think of anything in my system that might be of interest.

Unread 04/16/2020, 12:05 PM   #71
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The purple sponge might work. We'll figure something out. I'll let you know when I get started on this. Currently hoarding gumption…

Unread 04/17/2020, 07:00 AM   #72
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
The purple sponge might work. We'll figure something out. I'll let you know when I get started on this. Currently hoarding gumption…
That sounds like a plan so just let me know when you are ready. I am in no hurry and in fact the longer we wait the bigger piece of purple sponge I can give you.

Unread 04/22/2020, 09:20 AM   #73
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Dawn, your new system looks fantastic, especially with the new fish. I'm glad that Samson seems to be doing well. When you convert to seagrass, that might be a natural fit for him since they are often caught in grass beds in the wild.

As far as more fish goes, have you considered adding a few more barnacle blennies? It might be fun to see if you can get that spawning activity that Michael talked about in his tank.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2020, 11:48 AM   #74
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Dawn, your new system looks fantastic, especially with the new fish. I'm glad that Samson seems to be doing well. When you convert to seagrass, that might be a natural fit for him since they are often caught in grass beds in the wild.

As far as more fish goes, have you considered adding a few more barnacle blennies? It might be fun to see if you can get that spawning activity that Michael talked about in his tank.
Hey Kevin, welcome back! Where are things with your aquarium plans? Are you going to start the oyster shell biotope back up? I really liked that tank and all the personality the fish had.

I am really enjoying this tank system more than any aquarium I have ever had. It had been on my mind for a couple of years but I did not want to move on it while I had the seahorses. And yes, it was really really hard losing Eve. I know at 6+ years old that she had a very good life but because she was my 1st she was extra special.

Samson was committed to someone who wanted to try seahorses but they backed out after I had already tore down the seahorse tank. That was a bummer because having him in the same water as the high nutrient reef is not optimal for his health but he actually is doing quite well. I am running the system at 74° F or a little less which helps with reducing bacteria. Also I only feed him frozen mysis once a day and he gets live ghost shrimp for his 2nd meal which also will reduce the chance of him developing a gut infection. Hunting the shrimp should offer some stimulation since he is all alone without a friend. I would still re-home him if someone who would take good care of him would take him.

Unlike Michael I would consider myself a fish person first and the rest of the reef is for the fish and invert's comfort. I do enjoy the growth and color of the macro algae as well as the coral however. I guess that is why I am enjoying this aquarium system so much. It allows me to keep a fairly large density of fish in my relatively moderate sized 56 gallon display but everything is still relatively low maintenance. I do an easy quick water change every week, clean the glass once a week and pour in some strongium or coral vite when I think of it. This works for me and I like the natural look of the display. It's not a reef for everyone but it suits me.

It will be fun seeing how Michael's grasses will do in the 30 gallon fuge. And you are right, maybe it will make Samson feel right at home since that would be a more natural habitat for him. The feather caulerpa is grass like though so I am hoping for now it's good enough.

You know I have thought about adding more barnacle blennies. They are the cutest little fish and it would be fun to see if I could get a pair so some spawning could happen. Maybe I will think on that. I have seen barnacle blennies at my favorite lfs. At any rate nothing fish wise is going to happen until the 'stay at home order' is lifted and Pennsylvania starts to open up stores again.

Unread 05/06/2020, 08:12 AM   #75
vlangel
Registered Member

I worked in the 30 gallon fuge this morning. It will always look utilitarian since I built my own overflow and my drain is a reverse durso to keep the display tank from being too noisy at the drain. Again since I built it myself its a bit shall we say 'homespun' to put it nicely.

I decided to move the rockwork so that it hides the reverse durso more and made more space on the sand bed for grasses when they come. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Its not display worthy but it is more aesthetically pleasing in a functional sort of way. Hopefully the caulerpa on the rockwork will get enough light to still flourish.